Speculation: Summer 2023 roster changes

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Some things from 32 Thoughts:

We're confident that Stone will be healthy.

We were in on Debrincat and Friedman thinks we're out.

Some "people" (players? teams wanting to sign him? his agent?) were really upset Barbashev took a deep discount on his contract to sign with us.

Reactions: WhataKnight

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Some things from 32 Thoughts:

We're confident that Stone will be healthy.

We were in on Debrincat and Friedman thinks we're out.

Some "people" (players? teams wanting to sign him? his agent?) were really upset Barbashev took a deep discount on his contract to sign with us.

Upset? They should be thanking McCrimmon. He fits VGK like a glove but they had little choice but to overpay by about 1.5M because of that. I can't imagine overpaying even more and bringing him into a brand new environment expecting immediate results like he's Tom Wilson or something.

The Debrincat news is very interesting. It makes me wonder if they'll somehow clear cap (again lol) for Kane.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023

DeBrincat for Nicolas Hague straight up.

Would you?

Would Ottawa?

Would Vegas?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Detroit expected to terminate Zadina's contract.

Potential low risk high reward signing. Underlying numbers are good, just hasn't found the scoresheet, and if he can get that aspect going it's a jackpot.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Detroit expected to terminate Zadina's contract.

Potential low risk high reward signing. Underlying numbers are good, just hasn't found the scoresheet, and if he can get that aspect going it's a jackpot.

I looked and he's listed at 6' 189, he's big enough for them to think about but how is his physical play? That seems to be the style we favor.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023

DeBrincat for Nicolas Hague straight up.

Would you?

Would Ottawa?

Would Vegas?

Categorically ‘kein danke, brüder.”

Hague augments the snarl on the backend WAY too much to pull in a forward who, while very skilled, would be too much to give a guy like Hague up for - when Dorofeyev and Cotter both could take up the role of our “Marchessault-lite.”

I’d honestly rather see the Knights promote one of those two, especially when DeBrincat’s this close to UFA. Even with an extension, I’d sooner keep the Vegas blueline as-is.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So, after Howden gets his arbitration settled and Dorofeyev signs, we should still have about 1.55-1.6 million for the 23rd player.

They could start the season with someone on IR (I'm sure someone with VGK or HSK will have something they could sit out the first 7 days with) and have a 24 man roster right up against the cap and bank that space for a deadline rental at half retained. If they have Lehner on LTIR they have to do this or they lose that space for the year.

If they have to buyout Lehner then we only have about 800k that will be taken up by someone on the HSK roster. I don't think we will have to judging by the lack of any news about it.

Or they could sign a winger with it. Not much left, I don't think they'd want Tatar back. The only thing that would be of any interest to me would be if Tarasenko wants to sign a cheap one year deal to boost his value and wait for the cap jump of likely 6 million. Toews would be interesting but I think he's going to retire.

If we can't get cheap Tarasenko then I'd rather hold with what we have and save the space for the deadline. We could get a double retention on up to a 6 million dollar player if we felt we needed it at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad