Speculation: Summer 2023 roster changes

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
That's what a columnist thinks the agent will shoot for.

He likely gets solid offers at like 5.25-5.35, but I can see him being enticed by a Vegas tax free offer of 5x5 if he liked being here. If someone offers a sixth year I don't know if we go that far.

The cap will be 90 million in year two of that deal, and maybe around 100 million by year five. Barbashev wouldn't be 33 by the end of it.

If not, Wheeler from Winnipeg might get bought out and if Lehner is out on LTIR we need to spend to the cap anyway so I could see them offering a one year, pretty cheap deal to him with the chance to be Eichel and Marchessault's power forward on a contending team.

5.5 ~ 5.75 is what he thinks he's worth now. Friedman on 32 thoughts said we tried hard to negotiate with him on a new contract before playoffs started and we weren't even close. :( I'd be thrilled if he came down closer to 5.

8x4.5M probably gets it done. They can't give him 8 years after July 1st though.

4.5 - 4.75 with term is ideal.

BTW Eichel asked Barby's father to convince him to stick in Vegas. :laugh:

Russian site, use Google translate.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
5.5 ~ 5.75 is what he thinks he's worth now. Friedman on 32 thoughts said we tried hard to negotiate with him on a new contract before playoffs started and we weren't even close. :( I'd be thrilled if he came down closer to 5.

:

"I told him this is a matter between the GM and agent" Paraphrased

:lol:

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Players rarely get 100% of what they think they're worth. If the offers are in the low 5 range, maybe he comes back to Vegas for 5.

Before the playoffs the talk was that the number was 4-4.5, so if it's being phrased as we weren't close, that would mean we may not have even been offering 4 at that point. Or were offering max 4.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Did any news come out regarding what Miromanov's last injury was?

Vegas' blue line seems fairly set for 23/24 but Miromanov will have lost his waiver-exempt status. If not for his injuries I'd think chances of him passing through waivers would be slim but now I'm not so sure.

What do y'all think about Miromanov's future with Vegas? AHLer/depth option who is waived or is he maybe packaged away this offseason so he's not taken by another team without anything coming back?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Did any news come out regarding what Miromanov's last injury was?

Vegas' blue line seems fairly set for 23/24 but Miromanov will have lost his waiver-exempt status. If not for his injuries I'd think chances of him passing through waivers would be slim but now I'm not so sure.

What do y'all think about Miromanov's future with Vegas? AHLer/depth option who is waived or is he maybe packaged away this offseason so he's not taken by another team without anything coming back?
How many AHL players get claimed? The only type who usually gets claimed is the guy who was an NHLer and lost his job. Also usually has high draft pick pedigree. Does not seem to fit, I think he can go through multiple times over the year if needed unless he has a strong stretch of NHL play.

TBH best just to assume Barby is gone. Was a great TDL pickup at low cost (unless Dean becomes something) but losing him to FA is pretty much what the team should have expected as it's most likely outcome. There are quite a few players they could put next to Jack and Marchy who will produce that won't cost 5m.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
The type of players who get claimed on waivers are the guys around their mid-twenties who can't crack that lineup. Valimaki, Ingram, Tolvanen, Eyesmont (close enough,) Kovacevic all claimed last season and remained in the lineups after that.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
That's not surprising at all and while I would love to keep because he was the straw that really made the Eichel-Marchie combo work I also realize that giving a player like him close to 6m AAV with term is a bad idea. Maybe we still decide to move Martinez and make it work but I'd rather look for a cheap middle 6 wing in free agency and let them compete with Cotter for LW with Eichel.

Hill I wouldn't touch at this point. Will love him forever for what he did for us but with Thompson we don't need to hand out 4m+ to another goalie. Just sign one of Talbot/Varlamov/Raanta for 2.5 ish and 2 years if Lehner isn't able to play.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
That's not surprising at all and while I would love to keep because he was the straw that really made the Eichel-Marchie combo work I also realize that giving a player like him close to 6m AAV with term is a bad idea. Maybe we still decide to move Martinez and make it work but I'd rather look for a cheap middle 6 wing in free agency and let them compete with Cotter for LW with Eichel.

Hill I wouldn't touch at this point. Will love him forever for what he did for us but with Thompson we don't need to hand out 4m+ to another goalie. Just sign one of Talbot/Varlamov/Raanta for 2.5 ish and 2 years if Lehner isn't able to play.

Talbot sucks.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I agree with everything except Cotter. People can say I'm hard on him but he was visibly not an NHL player most of the time, he scored some goals on nice setups when he as shooting above 20%, but when that evened out he was worse than useless, he was detrimental to the lines he was on.

If he is spending any significant time with Eichel and Marchessault our chances of repeating are dropping.

We need a power forward to play with Eichel and Marchessault, someone who can go in on the forecheck and stand in front of the net for that line.

Howden and Amadio filled those roles for the Stephenson and Karlsson lines, Dorofeyev isn't small but I don't know if that's his game. Cotter can't play that game at all.

Goalies, yes let someone pay for Hill but not us. The list you put is a good one, Talbot, Varlamov, Raanta. I wonder if Reimer would be looked at, as well.

I think they should look for a bigger guy, 6'2" or even taller, that seems to be the type Burke can bring the best out of, and Thompson is big too so the defense wouldn't need to adjust as much if both goalies are playing similar games staying deeper in their net.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I agree with everything except Cotter. People can say I'm hard on him but he was visibly not an NHL player most of the time, he scored some goals on nice setups when he as shooting above 20%, but when that evened out he was worse than useless, he was detrimental to the lines he was on.

If he is spending any significant time with Eichel and Marchessault our chances of repeating are dropping.

We need a power forward to play with Eichel and Marchessault, someone who can go in on the forecheck and stand in front of the net for that line.

Howden and Amadio filled those roles for the Stephenson and Karlsson lines, Dorofeyev isn't small but I don't know if that's his game. Cotter can't play that game at all.

Goalies, yes let someone pay for Hill but not us. The list you put is a good one, Talbot, Varlamov, Raanta. I wonder if Reimer would be looked at, as well.

I think they should look for a bigger guy, 6'2" or even taller, that seems to be the type Burke can bring the best out of, and Thompson is big too so the defense wouldn't need to adjust as much if both goalies are playing similar games staying deeper in their net.

I pretty much completely agree with you, but if we can't afford Barbashev we're probably not going to have an option of a perfect fit on that Eichel line. I think Howden should be cheap enough to pencil in with Stone and Stephenson. Dorofeyev/Amadio with Karlsson.

The free agent market for middle 6 PWF's is barren. JVR isn't a PWF but might be worth a cheap 1 year deal. After Barbashev the next best PWF is probably Ritchie and he sucks. No idea what's on the trade market but I think a Kessel type contract for JVR and/or hoping Cotter gets better is going to be the route we are forced into.

Hopefully Barbie just doesn't get monster offers and maybe we can circle back with 7 years at 4.5 per and the total value and fit is enough to convince him to stay. At that point you can move Marty if need be.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I pretty much completely agree with you, but if we can't afford Barbashev we're probably not going to have an option of a perfect fit on that Eichel line. I think Howden should be cheap enough to pencil in with Stone and Stephenson. Dorofeyev/Amadio with Karlsson.

The free agent market for middle 6 PWF's is barren. JVR isn't a PWF but might be worth a cheap 1 year deal. After Barbashev the next best PWF is probably Ritchie and he sucks. No idea what's on the trade market but I think a Kessel type contract for JVR and/or hoping Cotter gets better is going to be the route we are forced into.

Hopefully Barbie just doesn't get monster offers and maybe we can circle back with 7 years at 4.5 per and the total value and fit is enough to convince him to stay. At that point you can move Marty if need be.

Wheeler is apparently likely to be bought out by the Jets. He's old and slower than we'd like but could possibly be convinced to play on a cheap deal with a contender offering him a potential spot next to Marchessault and Eichel. Still had 55 points last year and his advanced stats suggest he wasn't a negative.

If he's cheap enough it would also mean we could keep Martinez while going after a goalie like Varlamov.

Would also likely be a one year deal so we wouldn't be tied up to anything after next year, and could have some room to work with at that time.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

We have a cheap middle sixer. His initials are Paul Cotter

Reactions: Lehtonen

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WRT goalies, the "new, improved" consensus is that teams need a platoon/tandem of goalies to play. #1 goalie about 50-55 games and #2 for the balance. More than that for #1 and you risk him burning out before the playoffs.

Currently signed: Lehner, Lindbom (ELS), Saville (ELS), Thompson

VGK brass know better than any of us what Robin's medical status is (physical and mental). If injured, he cannot be bought out. He may be difficult to trade as some teams may not have a good/solid enough locker room to handle his depression (so I would avoid most rebuilding teams who don't have set group). Not to menti9on the cap hit.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
WRT goalies, the "new, improved" consensus is that teams need a platoon/tandem of goalies to play. #1 goalie about 50-55 games and #2 for the balance. More than that for #1 and you risk him burning out before the playoffs.

Currently signed: Lehner, Lindbom (ELS), Saville (ELS), Thompson

VGK brass know better than any of us what Robin's medical status is (physical and mental). If injured, he cannot be bought out. He may be difficult to trade as some teams may not have a good/solid enough locker room to handle his depression (so I would avoid most rebuilding teams who don't have set group). Not to menti9on the cap hit.
Vikman's also on an Entry Level deal, should play AHL/ECHL.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Looking at Vegas's cap situation they have just over 8M to sign 3 players. They have a lot of salary tied up to d-men preventing them to re-sign Barbashev

Would Vegas consider trading Roy + Martinez + Miromanov to the Canucks for Beauvillier + Plasek (contract throw in)?

I know the value is shit for Vegas but this clears 4.1M this season + 3M for an additional 3 years. This would be similar to their Patches + Coghlan for future considerations deal. Martinez at this point can be replaced by Hague and McNabb no?

I was thinking this could help both teams as Vegas could re-sign Barbashev + Hill and run

Marchessault Eichel Stone
Barbashev Karlsson Smith
Carrier Stephenson Beauvillier
Cotter Amadio Kolesar
2 depth players

Theodore Pietrangelo
Hague Whitecloud
McNabb Mayo
Hutton

Thompson
Hill

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
@Canuck Luck would also need to throw in Lehner.
isnt he LTIR? Last i saw was Vegas still has no idea whats going on with him. Maybe make it a 3 way deal then have Arizona take on Lehner + Poolman from our end and we'll pay them a couple mid picks for it

So deal would be:

To ARZ: Robin Lehner + Tucker Poolman + NYR 4th in 2023 + NJD 4th in 2024 (picks coming from VAN)
To VAN: Alec Martinez + Nicholas Roy + Danil Miromanov
To VGK: Anthony Beauvillier + Karel Plasek

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Looking at Vegas's cap situation they have just over 8M to sign 3 players. They have a lot of salary tied up to d-men preventing them to re-sign Barbashev

Would Vegas consider trading Roy + Martinez + Miromanov to the Canucks for Beauvillier + Plasek (contract throw in)?

I know the value is shit for Vegas but this clears 4.1M this season + 3M for an additional 3 years. This would be similar to their Patches + Coghlan for future considerations deal. Martinez at this point can be replaced by Hague and McNabb no?

I was thinking this could help both teams as Vegas could re-sign Barbashev + Hill and run

Marchessault Eichel Stone
Barbashev Karlsson Smith
Carrier Stephenson Beauvillier
Cotter Amadio Kolesar
2 depth players

Theodore Pietrangelo
Hague Whitecloud
McNabb Mayo
Hutton

Thompson
Hill

Vegas isn't giving Roy to dump Martinez. .5 PPG center on one of the best contracts in the league.

Barbashev wants 5.5 - 6m he can go sign somewhere else, he isn't worth that money at all.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Vegas isn't giving Roy to dump Martinez. .5 PPG center on one of the best contracts in the league.

Barbashev wants 5.5 - 6m he can go sign somewhere else, he isn't worth that money at all.
Fair enough, figured since Vegas has so many long term contracts, and a 30-40 point center at 3M is a luxury right now, it may help.

Would Vegas do either:
Martinez + Miromanov + BUF 3rd for Plasek?
Martinez + Korczak for Plasek?

paying a prospect or lesser prospect + pick to shed the entire 5.25M of Martinez

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Fair enough, figured since Vegas has so many long term contracts, and a 30-40 point center at 3M is a luxury right now, it may help.

Would Vegas do either:
Martinez + Miromanov + BUF 3rd for Plasek?
Martinez + Korczak for Plasek?

paying a prospect or lesser prospect + pick to shed the entire 5.25M of Martinez

If they need to move Martinez it won't cost Korczak to do so. There would definitely be teams willing to take him even if we to just accept future considerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad