Speculation: Summer 2023 roster changes

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If they need to move Martinez it won't cost Korczak to do so. There would definitely be teams willing to take him even if we to just accept future considerations.

I find it hard to believe they are planning to have Lehner on the roster if Hill's dad is to be believed that they offered Hill a contract for more than he was currently earning, 2.175, before the playoffs.

That would have put us with a tandem already going into next year. They wouldn't sign Hill to that not to play him and they've viewed Thompson as the number one and future all season. I just don't think they are planning on Lehner playing.

And if Lehner is still LTIR then Vegas has no serious cap issues going into next year, or the year after with the big increase. If they need to trade him, well that's asset cost.

Just building off your point that Vegas is unlikely to need to attach anything to get rid of anyone except Lehner if he can play. But a buyout costs only 750k then like 1.75 then like 2.1 for two years or something, if he is deemed healthy enough to play.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'd be surprised if they didn't bring back Hill and Barbashev, and move on from Lehner and (unfortunately) Howden.

Moving Martinez at this point would shock me. They're going to gear up for a repeat, and he'll be a part of that whether he's on the top pairing all year or not.

Adding a motivated Wheeler at 2M + 3M bonus would be huge though. He can still play.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Will be fun to see what their get out of Lehner card is. My money is on a freak accident in which a python constricted his leg, forcing him into another LTIR year. What do you all have on your Lehner bingo cards?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
damn this all but confirms Barbs is gone.

Leaves just enough for Howden, Dorofeyev and...Wheeler with double retention (if he doesn't get bought out)

Wheeler with double retention is still 2.1m. With Hill signed and Lehner disappeared by whatever means we'll have 3.6ish to spend. I think Howden is probably looking at 2+ Doro 900k.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
damn this all but confirms Barbs is gone.

Leaves just enough for Howden, Dorofeyev and...Wheeler with double retention (if he doesn't get bought out)

I mean, it doesn’t really handicap us, it just leaves us with only 2.25 this season and like 3-4 next season, after Marchessault and Stephenson contracts and Martinez, Amadio and Hutton replacements/re-signing, to replace Barbashev.

Wheeler could be a possibility this year and they can make decisions next year.

I'd still rather spend less for a veteran like Varlamov to backup Thompson and have some more money for a power forward but this is workable, if an overpay for Hill.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'd still rather spend less for a veteran like Varlamov to backup Thompson and have some more money for a power forward but this is workable, if an overpay for Hill.
Agree completely. Plus as much as you want the best for Hill, is he even #1 if LT is healthy? Wouldn't it be better to have LT as your #1 or at least #1A and have some backup after him? Even Lehner could serve as a backup if you can't resolve his contract. I just don't get giving this money to Adin because now he almost has to be seen as #1 and LT just got devalued. Maybe they move LT now while he has some real value?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Agree completely. Plus as much as you want the best for Hill, is he even #1 if LT is healthy? Wouldn't it be better to have LT as your #1 or at least #1A and have some backup after him? Even Lehner could serve as a backup if you can't resolve his contract. I just don't get giving this money to Adin because now he almost has to be seen as #1 and LT just got devalued. Maybe they move LT now while he has some real value?

Thompson is the number one to me, no doubt. I don't love transferring Lehners cap hit to Hill, but I think Lehner will never play for Vegas again. LTIR or buyout.

It's definitely an area they had the opportunity to really work the cap but if we can have a solid goaltending duo with most of our team intact for the next two years and have to work some magic for cheaper with Eichel and Marchessault's winger, it isn't the worst thing they could have done and they've shown the ability to work that magic. They also are now unlikely to hand out a bad long term deal we would want out of later.

No chance they move Thompson with his steal of a contract. Plus no other team would give anything close to what that's worth to us.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Looking through the awards voting I have to say, our roster is extremely underrated and was underrated by almost everyone despite being great for pretty much the entire year.

It wasn't until being up 3-0 on the Stars that people were like, oh this is probably the Cup champs.

From the offseason last year where we were picked fifth and fourth in the division all the way through, our entire roster has been so disrespected even while romping to 111 points and a rather easy bulldozing to the Cup.

We've got some great players and a team that has been pretty great to amazing five of six seasons. Is next year the year the players finally start getting their due from outside sources?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Great, LT pretty much wants out now.

Hill at 4.9 instead of Thompson at 766k is what teams do to close their windows. Just buyout Lehner if you need to and go with Thompson and a veteran. That still saves money over Hill at 4.9 and a backup.

In years three and four we can deal with the 2 million penalty on a 92-95 million cap. That's Stone and Pietrangelo's final years anyway so we may have other problems anyway. And we've got some goalie prospects who could be cheap backups to Thompson with a raise.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Trading Thompson would hands down be the dumbest move this franchise has ever made. FFS just let Hill walk. Thompson is a better goalie and makes peanuts.
At the same time, the McGMs would be shooting par for the course.

And all respect to LT (I want him over Hill) but he isnt a Stanley Cup champ.

Reactions: hn777

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't get him wanting out from that tweet. What i get from that tweet is that he would be ok if he was traded, but nowhere does it state that he is demanding a trade.

Having said all that, i think it would be a mistake to trade Thompson.

I could see him being somewhat miffed since he took such a low deal, and was an all star, all rookie team, and was earning 2/3 of the starts over Hill, outplaying him before getting hurt.

And Hill was just as hurt last year, he just was healthy at the right time.

Are we paying Hill 4.9 million to sit on the bench for 50 games of the year when Thompson outplays him? You hand out that contract to a guy you expect to be your starter. That's pretty much what this year's Vezina winner makes.

Thompson took a team friendly deal to be here, and he's going to be looking at the next two seasons to build his reputation as a starter and cash in on what could be his only opportunity to do so.

GMs often talk about their team's salary structure and not wanting to upset it, maybe paying a goalie seven times what your other goalie makes upsets him and makes him question how much you do value him.

Reactions: Haguerbomb

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It would be really really dumb to trade LT, unless we happened to get someone like Bedard back. The cheap deals he's on, is the kind the deals you need. Again I think Hill gets to much, especially seeing if healthy I still see LT as our starter.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Trading LT makes no sense, but so does overpaying Hill. I do wonder if long-term health concerns play a part in the decision. There may be other factors that we don't know and may never know.

Fortunately, with our system we should be able to plug any competent goalie in, but that also means we shouldn't be overpaying for one.

Reactions: WhataKnight

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I could see him being somewhat miffed since he took such a low deal, and was an all star, all rookie team, and was earning 2/3 of the starts over Hill, outplaying him before getting hurt.

And Hill was just as hurt last year, he just was healthy at the right time.

Are we paying Hill 4.9 million to sit on the bench for 50 games of the year when Thompson outplays him? You hand out that contract to a guy you expect to be your starter. That's pretty much what this year's Vezina winner makes.

Thompson took a team friendly deal to be here, and he's going to be looking at the next two seasons to build his reputation as a starter and cash in on what could be his only opportunity to do so.

GMs often talk about their team's salary structure and not wanting to upset it, maybe paying a goalie seven times what your other goalie makes upsets him and makes him question how much you do value him.
Team friendly? How so? His deal was pretty standard, maybe he could've gotten max 200k more per year or signed for 2 years instead of 3.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV

giphy.gif

• Wow
Reactions: Haguerbomb

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Why does this team have to give away all their players for literally nothing?

Fleury-future considerations
Patches - future considerations
Smith - 3rd round pick

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Why does this team have to give away all their players for literally nothing?

Fleury-future considerations
Patches - future considerations
Smith - 3rd round pick

Just can't move big salaries with the flat cap without retention or taking comparable contracts back. If they could have retained 50% on Patches or Smith they probably get a 1st in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad