Speculation: Summer 2023 roster changes

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Wheeler with double retention is still 2.1m. With Hill signed and Lehner disappeared by whatever means we'll have 3.6ish to spend. I think Howden is probably looking at 2+ Doro 900k.
I don't love Howden at north of 2M, but he's great at 2 or less.

if they waive Miromanov (or Hutton) in camp:
Doro 800k
Howden 2M
Wheeler 1.5M + 1.5M performance bonus

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
It would be really really dumb to trade LT, unless we happened to get someone like Bedard back. The cheap deals he's on, is the kind the deals you need. Again I think Hill gets to much, especially seeing if healthy I still see LT as our starter.
Trading LT would be about the absolute most moronic move a GM could make. Especially in this age you really need a 1A and a 1B goalie what with injuries and a demanding schedule.

Every All-Star level player you have making under a million allows you to sign a megastar for big bucks. That's what LT brings. We had to dump Reilly Smith for peanuts to get cap relief. How dumb would it be to trade LT for a veteran or God forbid, activate Lehner at 5+ million if recovered.

Reactions: WhataKnight

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Non-QOd RFAs news just beginning to trickle out. Deadline is 2pm PT.

Nhl.com has a webpage with all the RFAs and UFAs by team as well as all the (re-)signings. There's another page with all the trades. I'll link those as soon as I find them.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

If they move the Lehner contract, they might actually go into next season with cap space(??!)
Unless they give Howden a huge raise.

You don't suppose...Patches would come back ? Nahhhh

edit: FWIW Frank Seravalli says that Patches was allowed to talk to other teams this week, and he's eligible for a contract structured mostly in performance bonuses. So never say never.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhataKnight

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Sens gave Korpisalo 4mx5. Wonder if Hill regrets signing with us, that could've been him.

Also TIL Korpisalo had hip surgery last year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Let's assume they give Howden 1.5 or 2, and Dorofeyev gets like 800k.

They will have 1.5-2 million they need to spend (dependent on how much Howden gets) by the start of the season on the 14th roster forward, if they're planning on using Lehner for LTIR, or that 1.5-2 million in cap space will be prohibited all season.

Or else we will need a player to start the season on 7 day IR, so they're cap hit counts but we can temporarily call up an extra 24th roster player to eat up as much of that remaining space as possible.

Or they buyout Lehner in the second buyout window.

My guess is they give Howden 2 on a multi-year deal, Dorofeyev 800k on a two year deal and then someone starts the season on IR for a week and they call up two players making 775k to lock in most of the space on day one.

Cotter starts as 13th forward and another Silver Knight gets a shot at 14th until around the trade deadline when they could send someone to Henderson and have that 1.5 million in space to bring in a 3 million forward, half retained.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Let's assume they give Howden 1.5 or 2, and Dorofeyev gets like 800k.

They will have 1.5-2 million they need to spend (dependent on how much Howden gets) by the start of the season on the 14th roster forward, if they're planning on using Lehner for LTIR, or that 1.5-2 million in cap space will be prohibited all season.

Or else we will need a player to start the season on 7 day IR, so they're cap hit counts but we can temporarily call up an extra 24th roster player to eat up as much of that remaining space as possible.

Or they buyout Lehner in the second buyout window.

My guess is they give Howden 2 on a multi-year deal, Dorofeyev 800k on a two year deal and then someone starts the season on IR for a week and they call up two players making 775k to lock in most of the space on day one.

Cotter starts as 13th forward and another Silver Knight gets a shot at 14th until around the trade deadline when they could send someone to Henderson and have that 1.5 million in space to bring in a 3 million forward, half retained.

That 1.5M-ish number is definitely glaring. Wondering if they're waiting on Toews.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Curious about the rationale between being unable to buy out injured players, Optics? Insurance? Access to the teams medical staff?

The player still gets paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad