Speculation: Summer 2023 roster changes

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

As of right now, for the 2023-24 season the VGK have 39 sighed to NHL contracts, plus one slideable contract. (Max is 50). They have seven pending UFAs (on NHL roster) plus seven pending RFAs.

Cap Friendly thinks they'll have a NHL roster of 20 with a cap hit of $80m. That's $3.5m under the cap (they could choose to spend on depth for NHL roster).

11 F currently on NHL roster signed for next season. (Plus two RFAs, a third who spent most of the season on the IR, and three UFAs.) Nine (one slidable) plus one RFA and one UFA on AHL/minor league roster.
8 D currently on NHL roster signed for next season. (Plus one RFA.) Seven plus one RFA on AHL roster.
1 G currently on NHL roster signed for next season; plus one on LTIR. (Plus 3 UFAs) Three plus one RFA on AHL roster.

(Plus three signed to AHL contracts. 1D and 2F)

Unsigned:
Goalies: RFA: Patera. UFA: Brossoit, Hill, Quick. UFA (AHL): Papirny.

Defense: RFA (group 1): Corcoran. RFA: Pachal*. UFA (AHL): Bischoff, Estes, Marino, Skeoch.

Forwards: RFA: Dorofeyev, Howden*, Marushev*, Patrick. UFA: Barbashev, Blueger, Foo, Kessel, Manninen. UFA (AHL): Conrad, D'Amato, Ford, Loewen, McCallum, Quinney.

SIGNED
Goalies (4): Lehner, Lindbom (ELS), Saville (ELS), Thompson

Defense (14): Ahac, Chayka (ELS), Cormier (ELS), Fleming (ELS), Hague, Hutton, Korczak (ELS), Martinez, Mayo, McNabb, Miromonov, Pietrangelo, Theodore, Whitecloud (ELS)

Forwards (21+1): Amadio, Brabenec (ELS), Brisson (ELS), Carrier, Cotter (ELS), Eichel, Froese, Kallionkieli (ELS), Karlsson, Kolsesar, Manninen, Marchessault, Marushev (ELS), Morosov (ELS), Primeau (ELS), Rempal, Rondbjerg, Roy, Smith, Stephenson, Stone; **Sapovaliv (ELS)

Are there younger/cheaper options they might replace their pending RFAs, UFAs with?
Might some of these players have/had key playoff/RS contributions that you don't want to lose them?
Might some of the guys who were on AHL deals last season be worth a NHL deal?

Will they let all their UFAs walk?
If not, who might be traded to open up cap space to re-sign a UFA?

Are any of the RFAs who are arbitration eligible (with asterisk in above list) in a situation (great performance) to make it really hard to negotiate/arbitrate a deal so the team might let them walk?

McCrimmon and AHL GM Speltz have some work to do. Probably 12-15 guys (re-)signed to fill the NHL and AHL rosters.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Thanks for that.

I’m going to be thinking about what Lugerner’s approach will be all day tomorrow on the road. LOL

No clue after trying to keep Barbashev & Hill.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Ignoring the AHL guys for now...
Brossoit, Quick, Kessel, Patrick - gone for sure
Blueger - keep him if he takes a minimum contract otherwise probably gone
Barbashev - less than 50/50 he stays, he's due at least 4m and that won't work without trading for some space
Hill - probably gone unless Lehner's injury is such LTIR him indefinitely; however, going through bankruptcy he's almost certain to try to return to the ice and make what he can
Pachal/Marushev - probably signed for minimum levels and stay with HSK
Howden - I think he's like 75% likely to come back, they'll have space if they can't sign the other guys and he'll come relatively cheap to his contributions
Doro - almost 100% he's around to fill holes vacated by departures

If they don't get Hill or Barbashev then there probably is a couple million left pending any guys going to LTIR. Just like this year they are going to be depending on waiver wire pickups and guys signed to PTOs making the team. But they and the fans have known this was the price to be paid to get Eichel and have 3 guys on 9m+ AAV hits. Its probably one more season of the window really being open before some decline feels inevitable unless Stone and Petro find the fountain of youth.

Reactions: WhataKnight

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Lehner, Thompson and Hill would have to clear waivers to head to AHL (and I doubt they'd clear). So one may be destined to be traded.

Guys with NTCs/NMCs include: Eichel, Stone, Karlsson (10 team no-trade list), Marchessault (5 team no-trade list), Smith (8 team no-trade list); Pietrangelo, Martinez (8 team no-trade list), Theodore (5 team no-trade list), McNabb (5 team no-trade list); Lehner (5 team no-trade list)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Barbashev deserves a raise from his $2.25m expiring deal. If you can sign Hill for a decent raise, trade Lehner, might be able to swing it.

Hill is four years younger that Lehner

Reactions: WhataKnight

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Will the Knights have a harder time signing euro free agents after Manninen? It was weird to sign a guy of his calibre to play in the A on that lacklustre team.

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Vegas 2023-2024:

Smith 5,0 - Karlsson 5,9 - Amadio 0,76
Barbashev 5,0 - Eichel 10,0 - Marchessault 5,0
Howden 2,0 - Stephenson 2,75 - Stone 9,5
Carrier 1,4 - Roy 3,0 - Kolesar 1,4
+ Cotter 0,78, Dorofeyev 0,8

Theodore 5,2 - Pietrangelo 8,8
Hague 2,3 - Whitecloud 2,75
McNabb 2,85 - Korczak 0,8
+ Hutton 0,85

Hill 4,0
Thompson 0,77

= 81,6M

PP

Stone
Eichel Stephenson Marchessault
Theodore

Roy
Karlsson Barbashev Smith
Pietrangelo

PK

Karlsson Smith
McNabb Pietrangelo

Howden Roy
Hague Whitecloud

Stephenson Stone
Korczak

- Trade Martinez because he has been a liability for example in four of the last five games. If Vegas would be losing games, Hutton would have been replaced him. And Hague has already played in PK2 instead of Martinez since game six in Dallas so bye bye for Alec who is easy to replace in 5v5 hockey. At the same time you can promote Hague and Whitecloud to a second pair and drop McNabb to mentor Korczak. They played already together about ten games and had good advanced stats when it comes to xG against them.
- Sign Hill, Barbashev and Howden. About 11M should be enough. It leaves two million dollars in cap space to maybe buy-out Lehner or get a rental D in February.

DirtyDutchDiggler

May 17, 2018
If we can't afford Ivan, would anyone be against VGK sending out an olive branch to Erik Huala. Of all the trades we have done in past I feel he was done dirty. And before anyone brings of MAF, he was visibly on a sharp decline. 3.4m would be great if we can do it and keep the roster pretty much as is. Still have the Lehner issue of course to deal with.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I unfortunately think both Barbeshev and Hill walks. With Vegas cap situation, i think they both price themselves out of Vegas. Hopefully i am wrong though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
1st order of business, offer Stephenson the Wild Bill contract and keep Barbs from testing the market.
2nd, trade down in the draft and pick up some more picks.
3rd, wait and see on LT's backup, whether it's Hill or Brossoit or hell even Talbot or Murray. Just as long as he's over 6'2 lol
4th forget all that because they're f***ing CHAMPIONS and it's the golden summer!

The only bad news is that Howden has arb rights, so maybe they'll have to work something out wink wink nudge nudge come see us in October when everyone's on LTIR so you can sign a nice fat circumvention cheater contract

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
McDavid. Drai. Mathews and Marner will all be demanded trades here next season, if Toronto and Edmonton retain 50% on all of them and then they "trip" down the stairs and are LTIR until round 1. I like our chances :laugh::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Reactions: Vegas07

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
• There may not be a hotter name on the pending UFA market than Ivan Barbashev after his spectacular playoffs for the Stanley Cup champion Golden Knights. Like most contenders, the Knights have almost no cap room, so it will be difficult to keep Barbashev, although having seen how shrewdly GM Kelly McCrimmon has navigated the cap waters the past few years, I certainly wouldn’t put it past the Knights to find a way.

“Look, he really enjoyed his time in Vegas,” Barbashev’s agent, Dan Milstein, told The Athletic on Friday morning. “I’m sure at some point in time here we will talk to them (Knights). He would love to stay, but I don’t know if they can afford the market.”

What is that market price? Milstein wouldn’t say, but I suspect the agent will be looking to get anywhere from $5.5 million to $5.75 million per season on a multi-year deal for his 27-year-old client.

5.5 ~ 5.75?!!? YIKES

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
5.5 ~ 5.75?!!? YIKES

That's what a columnist thinks the agent will shoot for.

He likely gets solid offers at like 5.25-5.35, but I can see him being enticed by a Vegas tax free offer of 5x5 if he liked being here. If someone offers a sixth year I don't know if we go that far.

The cap will be 90 million in year two of that deal, and maybe around 100 million by year five. Barbashev wouldn't be 33 by the end of it.

If not, Wheeler from Winnipeg might get bought out and if Lehner is out on LTIR we need to spend to the cap anyway so I could see them offering a one year, pretty cheap deal to him with the chance to be Eichel and Marchessault's power forward on a contending team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00