Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Gilligans Island said:
So we're clearly going all-in on Tavares. Do we have ANY connections to him? Any Sharks played with him or coached him?​

Just to answer, he played with Thornton and Vlasic at the Sochi Olympics.

Also, of note, he played with John Carlson in junior after being traded to London.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
One wonders if the tone of the conversation with Kovalchuck didn't drive this to an extent?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just to answer, he played with Thornton and Vlasic at the Sochi Olympics.

Also, of note, he played with John Carlson in junior after being traded to London.

Played with Thornton, Couture, Burns, and Vlasic at the World Cup, right?

@Maladroit, who mentioned Tavares’ turning his linemates into superstars. Check the post I made in the main board thread about Tavares.

There might be nobody in the NHL that elevates the performance and production of his line mates more than Tavares.

- PA Parenteau scored 67 points with Tavares.
- Matt Moulson scored 69 points with Tavares.
- Kyle Okposo had 69 points with Tavares.

None of these 3 players had played 30 NHL games before they joined the NYI. None of them scored more than 45 points in a season after they left the Islanders. Moulson and Parenteau played their last NHL games before the age of 35 and at age 30 right now, I'm not expecting Okposo to buck that trend.

Now, Anders Lee and Josh Bailey are having some serious success with Tavares. Anders Lee just scored 40 goals. Josh Bailey just had 70 points. You've got a bunch of guys who were not NHLers before they played with Tavares, and all of a sudden, they start playing with big Johnny T, and they're all producing like above average first line forwards? And as soon as they leave Tavares, none of them can score 50 points once?

Tavares is an elite franchise superstar Stanley Cup #1C; no questions asked.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Played with Thornton, Couture, Burns, and Vlasic at the World Cup, right?

@Maladroit, who mentioned Tavares’ turning his linemates into superstars. Check the post I made in the main board thread about Tavares.
Very interesting about his linemates. Long suspected, but data makes it sink in. Plus, he created favourable match-ups for the second line this year, leading to Barzal's impact as a rookie and Eberle's renaissance.

And yup, he did play with Burns and Couture too. Always seem to forget about the World Cup of Hockey.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Look, Trotz is available, dump PDB and grab him, I wanted Trotz before PDB anyway, now is our chance heh.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
After buying out Paul Martin and taking Maxim Letunov off the roster, we have over $20M in cap space with two forward spots to fill to hit 20 players. We would need to re-sign Hertl, Tierney, DeMelo, and Thornton.

Realistically, these are fair predictions for each player:

Tierney - $2M-$3M
Thornton-$3M-$5M
Hertl-$4M-$6M
DeMelo-$1M-$2M

So, between $10M and $15M. for those 4 players. Probably comes in at $12M. We would have a 22 man roster if we brought back all 4 of these players, but only between $5M and $10M in cap space. We’re still going to need to make a few more moves if we want to get Tavares.

The easiest thing to do to is just not to bring back DeMelo and Tierney. That saves between $3M and $5M, which gives us between $9M and $13M to sign Tavares and have a 21 man roster. Trading Melker Karlsson and not re-signing Tierney or DeMelo gives us between $11M and $15M to sign Tavares and have a 20 man roster. Of course this is with Tim Heed as the #6D.

We’re probably going to make a few more moves before we can comfortably sign Tavares.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
anything more than 1.2-1.5M for Tierney is a severe overpayment.

Demelo isn't worth more than 700k

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
anything more than 1.2-1.5M for Tierney is a severe overpayment.

Demelo isn't worth more than 700k

Tierney is a center who scored 40 points and plays top PK minutes. If we traded him, he would likely get signed at $3M/2Y by his new team. We know he actually sucks but the numbers don’t show that and other teams won’t know that.

DeMelo doesn’t deserve more than whatever league maximum is for a one-way AHL only contract.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Cut his ties over the weekend as $300k raise after winning Stanley Cup is a slap in the face.

Hmmmm

Was just going to post this, interesting name. If we lose out on Tavares we could trade for Panarin and sign Kovy.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Seattle won't play for at least two more season's. Don't think Trotz wants to remain idle (coaching wise) that long. Besides, Seattle OVG just hired Tippett as senior advisor.

DON'T PANIC

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Really hoping he gets moved on Saturday for like a 4th or 5th round pick. We need every cent of cap space we can get if this is gonna work with Tavares.

Would he even fetch that much?

I really don't follow the Barracuda. Aren't there a few bottom six forwards that are ready to move up/get a shot?

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
If I remember correctly, the Sharks were in on Panarin before he signed with Chicago. He’s a right handed shot. I’d be very interested in him.

Aside from that, I had outlined a way for the Sharks to sign both Tavares and and Kovy in the previous thread. It essentially breaks down to this, if the cap is $80+mil...
-Trade Boedker. CHECK
-Trade Karlsson.
-Trade Tierney.
-Buyout Martin.
-Sign Tavares to $10mil per.
-Sign Kovy to $5mil per.
-Sign Hertl to $5mil per.
-Sign Thornton to $1mil per heavy bonus.
-Sign Demelo to $1mil per.

It also leaves the ability to trade Braun, Tierney, and the 21st for a RD upgrade that costs ~$4.5-5mil.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
If I remember correctly, the Sharks were in on Panarin before he signed with Chicago. He’s a right handed shot. I’d be very interested in him.

Aside from that, I had outlined a way for the Sharks to sign both Tavares and and Kovy in the previous thread. It essentially breaks down to this, if the cap is $80+mil...
-Trade Boedker. CHECK
-Trade Karlsson.
-Trade Tierney.
-Buyout Martin.
-Sign Kovy to $5mil per.

It also leaves the ability to trade Braun, Tierney, and the 21st for a RD upgrade that costs ~$4.5-5mil.

I think those contracts to Kovalchuk and Tavares are short of what they'll get.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada

-Trade Boedker. CHECK
-Trade Karlsson.
-Trade Tierney.
-Buyout Martin.
-Sign Kovy to $5mil per.

I’m not going to act like this is impossible, but the amount of “ifs” for this to workout are a little past realistic.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Would he even fetch that much?

I really don't follow the Barracuda. Aren't there a few bottom six forwards that are ready to move up/get a shot?

Probably not. I'd take a 7th or future considerations for him at this point as long as we're not taking back any salary.

I see absolutely no need for Kovalchuk if we sign Tavares. It's not realistic anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad