Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I'd be ecstatic to have Tierney as our fourth line center. He would instantly be one of the best fourth line centers in the league. You seem to believe I think Tierney is worthless but I don't. All I said, and you can scroll up and read the post, is that signing Tierney to be our fourth line center for over $1.5mil doesn't make sense given that we're operating under a salary cap and the contracts for Tavares, Hertl and Jumbo have to take obvious precedence as they're all vastly, exponentially more important to the team than Tierney...

Fair enough, you don't think he's worthless, you'd be happy to have him on the team, you just don't think there's a realistic path to sign Tavares, Thornton, and Hertl and fit him in on a contract remotely close to what he's earned. I disagree on the last point, but not the others.

I've downgraded my previous assessment of your logic to asifive ;)

Reactions: Maladroit

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don’t think Tierney is a 4c. And to be honest, I don’t think he deserves to get paid like one.

I think we flip Tierney and Braun for an upgrade next to Vlasic. Sign Kovalchuk and run something like this:

Kane - Jumbo - Pavelski
Kovalchuk - Couture - Donskoi
Timo - Hertl - Labanc
Sorenson - Fehr - Karlsson
Goodrow

In fact, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if the Boedker trade happened because of the results of the Kovalchuk meeting.

Tavares would obviously be a great add - but I just don’t see it happening.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I don’t think Tierney is a 4c. And to be honest, I don’t think he deserves to get paid like one.

I think we flip Tierney and Braun for an upgrade next to Vlasic. Sign Kovalchuk and run something like this:

Kane - Jumbo - Pavelski
Kovalchuk - Couture - Donskoi
Timo - Hertl - Labanc
Sorenson - Fehr - Karlsson
Goodrow

In fact, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if the Boedker trade happened because of the results of the Kovalchuk meeting.

Tavares would obviously be a great add - but I just don’t see it happening.

I'd be up for flipping Tierney & Braun for a top 4 RD. What are the possible RDs?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If Panarin is actually on the block, what would it take for the Sharks to get him? Would Meier + Balcers + 1st round pick be enough?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I don’t think any of those guys are an upgrade enough on Braun to justify trading Tierney. Maybe Myers but I don’t know about his defensive game.
Yeah for the most part I agree, but it's hard to find a RD who isn't terribly expensive, or who isn't way out of the realm of possibility for Braun and Tierney.

Petry makes sense because Montreal has the worst center depth ever.
Myers makes sense because he's probably gone after this season because of upcoming cap concerns and Braun is cheaper.
Schultz makes sense because the Penguins were gunning for Tierney when they needed a 3C. Could still be possible.

There's also Shattenkirk, but his defense is very suspect, and Braun +Tierney probably wouldn't get him from NYR.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah for the most part I agree, but it's hard to find a RD who isn't terribly expensive, or who isn't way out of the realm of possibility for Braun and Tierney.

Petry makes sense because Montreal has the worst center depth ever.
Myers makes sense because he's probably gone after this season because of upcoming cap concerns and Braun is cheaper.
Schultz makes sense because the Penguins were gunning for Tierney when they needed a 3C. Could still be possible.

There's also Shattenkirk, but his defense is very suspect, and Braun +Tierney probably wouldn't get him from NYR.

All 3 of these guys would be good acquisitions for an upgrade on DeMelo on the bottom pair. I just don’t think they would be good as Vlasic’s new partner. Same goes for Shattenkirk.

For Vlasic’s new partner, I think we need a guy who is closer to the Hamilton/Trouba caliber. Both of those names have come up too often for me to think that their respective GMs aren’t listening on phone calls and looking into trade options for them.

EDIT: just checked the main board and saw Chris Tanev. Not sure how his game is trending or whether or not he can still handle top comp. He is such a massive band-aid, worse than Kane and Donskoi, but he is effective when healthy. Wonder if we could get him for our Chris T and a small plus.

Last edited:

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
If we don't get Tavares I really hope DW doesn't get desperate and throw a bunch of money at Nash, Stastny, or Kovalchuk. I'd rather keep the cap space and flexibility. The problem is Jumbo isn't getting any younger so the pressure is to win right now. Seguin is an UFA next year and could be a backup plan to Tavares but we can't wait to sign him next year if we wanna compete with Jumbo this year. We would need to try to trade for him if Dallas is out of contention and can't re-sign him.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
All 3 of these guys would be good acquisitions for an upgrade on DeMelo on the bottom pair. I just don’t think they would be good as Vlasic’s new partner. Same goes for Shattenkirk.

For Vlasic’s new partner, I think we need a guy who is closer to the Hamilton/Trouba caliber. Both of those names have come up too often for me to think that their respective GMs aren’t listening on phone calls and looking into trade options for them.

EDIT: just checked the main board and saw Chris Tanev. Not sure how his game is trending or whether or not he can still handle top comp. He is such a massive band-aid, worse than Kane and Donskoi, but he is effective when healthy. Wonder if we could get him for our Chris T and a small plus.
Just don't see how we can get a top pairing defenseman for Tierney and Braun. Trouba and Hamilton will require more coming back.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Just don't see how we can get a top pairing defenseman for Tierney and Braun. Trouba and Hamilton will require more coming back.
I think a package of Braun, Tierney, Labanc/Norris/Gambrell, and the 21st overall would be a more appropriate package for a potential top pairing dman.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I think a package of Braun, Tierney, Labanc/Norris/Gambrell, and the 21st overall would be a more appropriate package for a potential top pairing dman.

Yeah, and that’s what I was implying. Probably wouldn’t like LaBanc to be a part of the package at this stage though.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Kovalchuk would be a nice add IF we miss out on the big fish. I know some of you would put him on the second line immediately. I think Timo should get more minutes and play with some of the big boys next season. I just can't see keeping him on the third line being beneficial in terms of development. If we really want to see what we have in him, he needs to move up now.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Given Dorion’s clear incompetence could we get Duchene from Ottawa for Tierney and some other junk if Tavares doesn’t work out?

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
That’s if he even remembers that he’s already done it before. He took Wingels from the Sharks too, so Dorion has been great for the Sharks.
I mean he lost the trade bad today but, 2 hours later flipping the same player for way more is insulting haha. Hes gotta feel terrible hah

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I mean he lost the trade bad today but, 2 hours later flipping the same player for way more is insulting haha. Hes gotta feel terrible hah
I’m sure he does, but if he blames Doug for doing the job better than him then he’s an even worse GM than anyone thought.

Reactions: Friday

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I get the feeling Jumbo is going to wait until all the pieces fall before signing, and even then, it will be $1-2M. He made $8m last season, the largest cap hit he has ever commanded in absolute dollars, but was willing to take a discount for Marleau to sign. This isnt only my opinion, but i really think DW said something like, "take a big salary in 17-18, and in 18-19 give us a big hometown discount so we can reel in some big fish".

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I get the feeling Jumbo is going to wait until all the pieces fall before signing, and even then, it will be $1-2M. He made $8m last season, the largest cap hit he has ever commanded in absolute dollars, but was willing to take a discount for Marleau to sign. This isnt only my opinion, but i really think DW said something like, "take a big salary in 17-18, and in 18-19 give us a big hometown discount so we can reel in some big fish".

I agree that it's a strong possibility that's how it went down with Doug and joe.

1-2 million is too unrealistic for me

4 to 5 is more accurate and is a substantial discount. I think if every star aligned which is unlikely. I do think he would take a little less than that.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I
could See him pulling a fisher and waiting to half way through season to sign with us for 4 m and be fully healed rested for the final push and playoffs.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I

could See him pulling a fisher and waiting to half way through season to sign with us for 4 m and be fully healed rested for the final push and playoffs.

No way, Jumbo likes playing and being around the team too much to sit till half way thru. Also, his injury happened a lot earlier this year, I fully expect him to be ready to roll at training camp.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Just dreaming and Curious... If DW can trade for EK65, will the cap increase enough over the next few seasons or would they need to move one of Vlassic or Burns sooner than later to make the dollars work. Seems like they would be too top heavy salary wise but I have no idea what the cap is going to do. Can either be exposed in the Seattle expansion draft? Also, if they somehow got EK65 AND Tavares would the Sharks suddenly have other UFA's in future years willing to take less to come play in SJ?

And about Tavares, I still believe that there is a certain amount of behind the scenes tampering going on as far as the players talking to one another. Gotta believe that thru this all, Tavares is talking to the 4 other members of team Canada about playing in SJ.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think we should expect one year, $4M for Jumbo. Evens it out to two years at $6M for last year and this upcoming year.

For Hamilton or Trouba, I’d personally be comfortable with a package like that.

There isn’t a lot I wouldn’t be comfortable giving up for Hamilton or Trouba.

Reactions: Papa Joe19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad