Summer 2018 pre-seaon friendlies/tournaments.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wouldn't say that he was this bad earlier. He's had a very poor mentality since joining Chelsea.
His finishing is Torres level bad. He did start pretty hot though, but a lot of it was due to his head and Azpi's crosses.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What about Juve?

Didn't he have a slightly different role there? People that watched Serie A during those 2 seasons can correct me if I'm wrong though. He came off the bench more, wasn't their main #9, and still had some pretty good goal/assist numbers for a rotation guy.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ok, I'll admit, everyone here was right, Morata is bad. I thought people are here were too harsh on him when we signed him, but they were right.

Not everyone said he was bad though. Actually I think it was "overrated" as opposed to "bad", and he was definitely overrated. Either way he's only so good and looking at this thread since your post it looks like he could get overrated again.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
What about Juve?

Where he was a sub behind Tevez, Llorente, and Mandzukic? Same scenario. Seems he was overrated because he played on really good teams surrounded by world class players. Hardly the first player, doesn't make him a bad player.

Do you disagree with that? Or we're just gonna play the tired PL bias card while not actually discussing the point?

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
He lost confidence in front of goal and never got it back. Honestly, I liked what he contributed to build-up play even when he wasn't scoring (in this sense, he is definitely similar to Torres, who frequently looked great for Chelsea in everything but scoring), but man his finishing was infuriating and Conte was correct in consistently starting Giroud over him by the end of the season.

I do have hope that he will potentially bounce back this year and I think it'd be premature to sell him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not everyone said he was bad though. Actually I think it was "overrated" as opposed to "bad", and he was definitely overrated. Either way he's only so good and looking at this thread since your post it looks like he could get overrated again.
Yeah, this is probably more correct, overrated, not bad. He just can't cut it as the main #9 on a team that wants to win in Europe and a top league. He'd be a good backup or he needs to be insulated with very good players around him in attack.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Frankly the guy is my hero for telling the truth about how these things are a garbage cash grab/waste of money. People are paying $400 to see the game tonight in Miami, which is more than the cost of my Red Bulls season tickets. And before someone chimes in with "mls iznt reel futboll lik yurop lolz" I'll point out that $400 is more than seasons for many teams in the Bundesliga, La Liga, Seria A, Ligue 1 and even a few Premier League teams.

Except the only other way for those fans to see these big teams play is to actually go to Europe and buy a ticket there which will cost more than $400.

If he appreciates the fans that much he would try and entertain them and not play his garbage relegation style tactics.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You can get round trip tickets to Europe with regularity in the $400s, even cheaper if you live on the East Coast.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You can get round trip tickets to Europe with regularity in the $400s, even cheaper if you live on the East Coast.

Cost of travel, ticket to a game, hotel, food, etc. will be well into the thousands when it's all said and done.

If someone wants to see the big stars with ease, it's better to just put money down on a pre-season game. I watched Chelsea and City at Busch Stadium, but the prices weren't near that amount. They sold out before they went to the official public, sold out to Cardinal season ticket holders and other early buyers, so I can't remember what the after-market prices were though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Right, and then you need somewhere to stay, and tickets to the game, food, travel fare within Europe, etc.

I mean, you can say it's not worth it but for some it's the only way and I think it's pretty silly to try and tell people whether or not it's worth it to them.

For the record I paid $100 a ticket to sit 1 row off the field in the Liverpool supporter section; I got to see Shaqiri's goal right in front of me. I don't know where people are getting $400 from...you could easily get cheaper seats than mine as well.

EDIT: Just saw what he said about some people paying $400...the overall point still stands though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If he appreciates the fans that much he would try and entertain them and not play his garbage relegation style tactics.
You can hate him, but his tactics have been proven to be successful, just not sustainable at 1 club for an extended period.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah, of course you'd pay more. Still if you're paying $400 for a ticket to a preseason friendly where the best players are possibly not even going to play much less for the full 90 minutes then I'd say you'd be better served to go over to Europe and see a match there. You could do a weekend trip for under $1000. So about 3 days in London for example vs 90 minutes at a friendly match. I'd rather save the extra money and make a vacation out of it. And if you can't afford that then you shouldn't be stumping up $400 for a preseason friendly, which is the amount I was replying to.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It doesn't really cost $400. It cost $168 to sit by Klopp at the Liverpool game I went to a few years back. The stuff he and Conte were saying was worth the price.

That makes Mourinho more stupid to say it's $400.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
To give a little bit to Jose, he could've been meaning taking a family to the game or including parking and dinner/beer at the game. There are a lot of sporting events where you could easily spend hundreds of dollars on for just 1 game. The average cost for a family of 4 going to a NFL game is over $500.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Torreira to make his debut for Arsenal today against Lazio,looks like he'll start on the bench, and sub-in later. Maitland-Niles to play in Kolasinac's spot, who'll be out for some time.
Guendouzi to start again.....getting apt playing time this pre-season, and continuing to impress.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool up 2-0 on Napoli after about 20 minutes. Alisson moving the ball well and the team is looking very dangerous.

Probably close to the same team that will start on Sunday

Mane Firmino Salah
Milner Wijnaldum Keita
Robertson Virgil Gomez Clyne
Alisson

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Napoli look pretty horriffic to be fair, but some of that is just the pressure. Koulibaly had already had like 3 ridiculous giveaways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad