Speculation: Summer 2018 General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the OSU example is what I want from the Jackets; being a strong contender every year not a bubble playoff team. If the team is in that position at least we will see them in conference finals, Cup finals more often than not. I realize that sooner or later all strong teams have to go through a rebuild because unlike college football you don't get to reload every year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And that's the kind of thinking that we're talking about.

Many teams have never won a national championship. Others haven't won one in decades. That doesn't meant they are complete failures unworthy of a fanbase. Given your statement above, I can only imagine that one CBJ Cup win would be followed with the question "when's the next one?" more than it would be celebrated.

Maybe after a while. But I think the fans would be gracious for a long time as long as the team remained competitive and not a tire fire. Nobody ever said non-champion teams were unworthy of a fanbase.

The success of a team like the Blues, Capitals (before this year) and Canucks in recent history isn't something that'll be looked at as a failure, because you see the fans of those teams (especially Vancouver) reminiscing on those teams and how much fun it was to be apart of consistent playoff runs (for the Blues, Capitals) or a deep finals run (for Vancouver). But you know how it always ends? With disappointment because they never won. Same thing with the Marino era Dolphins. Tomlinson era Chargers, and I could go on and on.

You ask any Capitals fan what their favorite season of the Ovechkin era was, I bet a hefty majority will say this past season. Even though many teams were better and had more points.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Some of you really don't seem to understand the level of parity that exists in the current day NHL. Not to mention just how DIFFERENT the parity is in the NBA and things like college basketball or football. The fact that these other leagues/conferences are so lopsided and have the amount of legit blowouts that they do, makes for a terrible argument/comparison.

A huge reason I became a CBJ fan (from MI) was because they were an expansion team/underdog, and because I hated the NY Yankees-like roster that teams like the Wings put together in the late 90's and early 2000's. Thank god the days of THAT in the NHL are gone. College sports have almost always been like this for as long as I can remember. Even though some "high level" schools/teams/programs go through ups and downs, for the most part, you know who is going to be good or bad. The difference in skill level between many "top" teams in a conference and a "bottom" teams is ridiculous. Unfortunately it can be seen pretty easily, through sports, how "society" has "changed". Jumping on a bandwagon and rooting for a heavy favorite in nowadays seen as the "norm" or the right thing to do. Maybe its ALWAYS been like this, I don't know. The "American Way". Its NEVER been my thing.

From seeing what some people have said over time about "being the best", what some of you have to say about Ohio State football in this thread and what other things are being said in Panarin threads to "talk up" Columbus, its clear that there are some "weird" PERSONAL emotions involved in something that they shouldn't be involved in. You could call it "American Emotions". Not to mention the "connection" between these things and the NHL, a "connection" that should NOT be made.

If you WENT to the school, good, great, embrace your emotional connection to a jersey or certain colors. But, that's where my pro- 'geographically related sports fan restrictions' feelings stop. Growing up, I've liked certain players, or the WAY a team (in my mind) played. Still, I gravitated towards the "underdog" most of the time. But, I never really understood the idea that you "had to" or "should" root for your hometown or "home state", and I don't "get" the UofM vs MSU or UofM vs Ohio State "rivalry". Not to the extent, anyway. My reasoning is pretty simple. Just using football or basketball, (because hockey or nearly ANY other sport would highlight it even worse) what % of the 50 (or 15) or so players on the Ohio State football team are from Ohio? How many players playing on UofM or MSU, are from Michigan? I'm not looking, but Ohio State could very well have more players from Michigan than they do Ohio, and vice versa. Same could be said for MANY programs/"rivalries" across the country.

These people that are so "worked up" about being or not being the "best", seem to not only have issues realizing that SOMEBODY has to be the "worst"/last, but that NOT LONG AGO, the CBJ were legitimately RIGHT THERE with those teams.

Reactions: Jackets16

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, other than having people seemingly DISAGREE completely (Cup possible or not) on where the CBJ are at, "we" really are mixing things up in regards to semantics involving things like, "bubble team", "contender", "competitive". Especially in relation to other entirely different leagues and sports.

Reactions: The Wheelchair

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
ALSO, also.

Its nearly August, and I STILL haven't actually seen a legitimate IDEA as to what could be done, to "help" this team win a cup.

No, "buyout Dubinsky", "fire Torts/Larsen", "strip Foligno", "play Milano", "sign Vanek/Cole", are not legitimate ideas.

Legitimate = Realistic

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
ALSO, also.

Its nearly August, and I STILL haven't actually seen a legitimate IDEA as to what could be done, to "help" this team win a cup.

No, "buyout Dubinsky", "fire Torts/Larsen", "strip Foligno", "play Milano", "sign Vanek/Cole", are not legitimate ideas.

Legitimate = Realistic

Since you just finished telling us that the way we root for our teams is wrong and that having pride in your hometown is wrong and how we don't even understand what competitive means, I'm not especially inclined to take up your "challenge." Hell, if you're going to define "legitimate," it seems like a waste of time.

Maybe you should get things started.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have to admit that I keep coming to this page hoping to see some action on the player acquisition front. And, of course, that has been a disappointment so far. And please, don't ask me which player to whom I am referring. I am referring to anyone and everyone. I guess this is how it will go until training camp.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I have to admit that I keep coming to this page hoping to see some action on the player acquisition front. And, of course, that has been a disappointment so far. And please, don't ask me which player to whom I am referring. I am referring to anyone and everyone. I guess this is how it will go until training camp.

Is there someone left you think they should be targeting? I do think Riley Nash will make the team better...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Hamhuis signed back with Nashville. So much for the veteran 3rd pairing guy idea.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

More than likely, yeah. But a Panarin trade is always possible before camp. I just think it's more likely to happen in September when all GMs are back to work, rather than July or August.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I get the feeling if something happens, it's gonna happen pretty quick. I don't think we'll see many rumors going around, it'll just be one of those holy shit is this real moments.

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJFan827

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
ALSO, also.

Legitimate = Realistic

Not intending to state the obvious, but they don't have to be synonyms. A legitimate idea doesn't have to be realistic and realistic ideas often aren't legitimate.

This whole premise is pretty asinine, any ideas we have aren't likely to make it to the FO so there is basically no chance they get acted upon. Therefore they couldn't possible help this team.

This is just a place to share ideas, have conversations, and gets news about the team and the NHL with the understanding there is almost no value to it.

I'm happy that you've preclaimed yourself as the gatekeeper for evaluating these ideas. I'm sure most of us believe in your legitimacy to provide such evaluations.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Its interesting to me when people "focus" on the clearly most unimportant parts of posts and "ignore" the.... legitimate ( :D) major points or questions that they should focus on.

Insert "IMO" in your mind, before and after what I said/say. Or remove the words 'legitimate' and 'realistic' from the post altogether if you have to.

To the people who think the team HAS TO make moves, do you have ANY other ideas, other than the 'BIG 5', that you think the team could or should do?

FYI: The 'BIG 5': 1-Buy-out Dubinsky- 2-Take the 'C' from Foligno- 3- Fire Torts/Larsen/Madden etc.- 4-Give Milano ice-time (no matter what)- 5-Sign Vanek/Cole (overpay for vet UFA)

Because in my mind these are NOT "legitimate" or "realistic" ideas.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Maybe you should get things started.

Well, ok.

To be honest I really think we should look to package Wennberg and another asset or 2 to upgrade at the center position. Somebody who can take some "pressure" off of Dubois, not ADD to it.

Wennberg-Milano-what? for Duchene

Since I already "know" what some responses will be.....

Many people express the idea that "cap room" does not "help" or "make a team better", so ho does removing Dubinsky from the roster make them BETTER?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Its interesting to me when people "focus" on the clearly most unimportant parts of posts and "ignore" the.... legitimate ( :D) major points or questions that they should focus on.

There was no one important or even interesting part to your post. It was just some bizarre lecture. I don't know why one would even think that someone suggesting removing the C for Foligno or buying out Dubinsky was someone's plan for bringing the Cup to Columbus for this season (since your brought up this strange "nearly August" narrative).

I have multiple suggests that are well documented for what I think would improve this team in the long run. Perhaps some of those would move the needle forward in giving the team a better shot at winning the Cup. As I said, they won't be implemented, most likely, so there isn't any point in revisiting.

Having said that if there are things in your post(s) that I find issue with I'll point them out, regardless if they have a directly relation to the point(s) you are trying to make.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well, ok.

To be honest I really think we should look to package Wennberg and another asset or 2 to upgrade at the center position. Somebody who can take some "pressure" off of Dubois, not ADD to it.

Wennberg-Milano-what? for Duchene

Since I already "know" what some responses will be.....

Do you? I already had a trade suggestion with Ottawa and part of it actually involved Wennberg and Duchene. Having said that, teams rarely make the type of trade you are suggesting (a decent player and some random pieces that may never have an impact). Duchene has more value than what you proposed, assuming Duchene is extended at the time of the trade. Yes, I think the FO should look into his availability.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well as long as we are doing apple pie and Chevrolet ideas, I agree that the FO should look into Duchene.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The answer is in the room :)

We don't have enough money to sign anyone significant, especially knowing we may need to pay Panarin if he would decide to stay. So unless we make a trade I wouldn't expect anything except some dumpster diving for guys that may not get signed by other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad