Speculation: Summer 2018 General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So, who is traded first Panarin or Bob ?

Tough question.

What I want: Bobrovsky

What I think: Panarin

There HAS TO be more going on "behind the scenes" that people don't know about. The only thing that would make this untrue is if Jarmo and Co. are 100% committed to just playing the season out (at least to the deadline) with these guys, no matter what future they have with the team. Which is possible.

But, I think talks of possible sign and trades have been talked about, even though it hasn't come out. 1 could easily argue that moving both would be the "best" thing for the team, if the 'writing on the wall' is true. Think of the returns we could get. For 1 year, come on.

Things get even more interesting with the idea that they are a "package". Most teams would have to dump significant salary to bring in 1 guy, let alone both.

Reactions: The Bread Man

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Most optimistic post incoming. With my Browns offseason hype in full swing, my Jackets optimism is starting to warm up. Panarin be damned this team is going to FINALLY take the next step. Here’s why:

Personally I’m looking for the best trade even if it’s at a rental price. My ideal return is a young winger with equal upside to Dubois. A winger who in theory will be the one our 20yr old budding #1c grows with.

A 1st rd pick will soften the blow... I guess. Nothing immediately comes to mind, but Jarmo would go off the board for it anyways so I won’t throw out a name, but rather an idea. Bye artemi, we were ready to love you but I’m not begging you to stay.

Bounce back players who I’d hope can only have a better year this year (injuries aside):

Wennberg - Be at least #2c. I’m thinking 15g 45a.

Jenner - He’s here for the considerable future with that A on his chest. Great. Let’s go be a 20-25g 20a leader.

Foligno - 73 points was crazy but that couldn’t have been THAT crazy of an anomaly. 50-55 points for Fligs? I’d take that bet.

I also think he’s a very underrated captain. I believe him and Torts work together well now after that rocky first season. It’s such a strong respect. But respect only goes so far in when you are putting up less than 40 points. He bounces back big.

Dubinsky - Dubi is taking nothing for granted and if nothing else, is busting his ass in a barn this summer trying for that bounce back. After receiving little the last few years, I’m calling that one of my favorite jackets ever bounces back with at least 35-40 points! As our 3/4c, I think most of us would gladly take that.

Players who take the next step:

Bjorkstrand - Off that ELC making big boy $$$. Hasn’t he always had 30 goal potential? Creeping up towards it around 20-25g. Did you see that Calder Cup run??

Sonny - 14g in 55 games. I’d have to think you have to let him play this year,right? What’s the next step for him? Lots of players have their minuses on defense. If he gets marginally better and can put up numbers at that pace for a full season. Wow. What a luxury.

Nuti - that contract already feels like a steal. He’s our “defensive, Finnish William Karlsson” this year. You know what I’m saying.

Werenski - eventually healthy . Elite. Will probably have to shake off some rust though.

Jones - Elite. Dude does nothing but eat healthy and work out. Future captain, and a full time A this year.

New additions:

Duclair - minimum contract with a chip on his shoulder under torts. I think it could be a winning combo. I don’t know what the rumor is why he regressed, but he’s fast, has good upside still and a fresh start. A repeat of his 20g season is a huge win at 650k. If it works out, I think he’d stick around too, he’s on record saying he’d like to stick around here and not bounce around anymore.

Nash - admittedly not the one I was initially hoping came back. Why not expect pretty solid if not spectacular depth. 35 points is a win. Can he do that for 3 years? Welcome! Seems like a guy that will fit right in to the room.

Sorry that was waaaay too long. I just put my thoughts into words. Just got back from vacation with my wife’s family and have had a few pops tonight. Thanks if you read it all.

What fun are sports without hopeless optimism??

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Most optimistic post incoming. With my Browns offseason hype in full swing, my Jackets optimism is starting to warm up. Panarin be damned this team is going to FINALLY take the next step. Here’s why:

Personally I’m looking for the best trade even if it’s at a rental price. My ideal return is a young winger with equal upside to Dubois. A winger who in theory will be the one our 20yr old budding #1c grows with.

A 1st rd pick will soften the blow... I guess. Nothing immediately comes to mind, but Jarmo would go off the board for it anyways so I won’t throw out a name, but rather an idea. Bye artemi, we were ready to love you but I’m not begging you to stay.

Bounce back players who I’d hope can only have a better year this year (injuries aside):

Wennberg - Be at least #2c. I’m thinking 15g 45a.

Jenner - He’s here for the considerable future with that A on his chest. Great. Let’s go be a 20-25g 20a leader.

Foligno - 73 points was crazy but that couldn’t have been THAT crazy of an anomaly. 50-55 points for Fligs? I’d take that bet.

I also think he’s a very underrated captain. I believe him and Torts work together well now after that rocky first season. It’s such a strong respect. But respect only goes so far in when you are putting up less than 40 points. He bounces back big.

Dubinsky - Dubi is taking nothing for granted and if nothing else, is busting his ass in a barn this summer trying for that bounce back. After receiving little the last few years, I’m calling that one of my favorite jackets ever bounces back with at least 35-40 points! As our 3/4c, I think most of us would gladly take that.

Players who take the next step:

Bjorkstrand - Off that ELC making big boy $$$. Hasn’t he always had 30 goal potential? Creeping up towards it around 20-25g. Did you see that Calder Cup run??

Sonny - 14g in 55 games. I’d have to think you have to let him play this year,right? What’s the next step for him? Lots of players have their minuses on defense. If he gets marginally better and can put up numbers at that pace for a full season. Wow. What a luxury.

Nuti - that contract already feels like a steal. He’s our “defensive, Finnish William Karlsson” this year. You know what I’m saying.

Werenski - eventually healthy . Elite. Will probably have to shake off some rust though.

Jones - Elite. Dude does nothing but eat healthy and work out. Future captain, and a full time A this year.

New additions:

Duclair - minimum contract with a chip on his shoulder under torts. I think it could be a winning combo. I don’t know what the rumor is why he regressed, but he’s fast, has good upside still and a fresh start. A repeat of his 20g season is a huge win at 650k. If it works out, I think he’d stick around too, he’s on record saying he’d like to stick around here and not bounce around anymore.

Nash - admittedly not the one I was initially hoping came back. Why not expect pretty solid if not spectacular depth. 35 points is a win. Can he do that for 3 years? Welcome! Seems like a guy that will fit right in to the room.

Sorry that was waaaay too long. I just put my thoughts into words. Just got back from vacation with my wife’s family and have had a few pops tonight. Thanks if you read it all.

What fun are sports without hopeless optimism??

No such thing.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Sounds like Hayes might not be in the Rangers long term plans, I still think we need to kick the tires and see what they want for him. Our C depth would go from one of the worst in the league to top 10 imo.

Dubois-Wennberg-Hayes-Nash with Dubinsky, Jenner and Foligno able to fill in when need be.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sounds like Hayes might not be in the Rangers long term plans, I still think we need to kick the tires and see what they want for him. Our C depth would go from one of the worst in the league to top 10 imo.

Dubois-Wennberg-Hayes-Nash with Dubinsky, Jenner and Foligno able to fill in when need be.

With Nash here I think Hayes would be a low priority. Not that I wouldn't take him but I wouldn't trade a lot for him either. I think of him kind of like Anisimov, and he'll probably be paid like that when he's signed. From the looks of it Anisimov wouldn't cost a lot to acquire.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With Nash here I think Hayes would be a low priority. Not that I wouldn't take him but I wouldn't trade a lot for him either. I think of him kind of like Anisimov, and he'll probably be paid like that when he's signed. From the looks of it Anisimov wouldn't cost a lot to acquire.
Oh yeah I definitely wouldn't go overboard to get him and I realize we probably won't, but I would love to get our offensive depth bolstered up a bit to match the D. We looked fine last season until Dubinsky, Wennberg and Atkinson were injured in December and we were a shell of the team that started the season. And this season we have a lot of unproven or unknown depth looking to fill in those roles.

I'd be fine with Anisimov, but I think Hayes fits the identity of the team better ("young" player with a lot of prove)

As of now

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Nash-Anderson
Milano/Duclair/Dubinsky/Sedlak

Abramov/Robinson/Vigneault/Stenlund

Adding Hayes pushes down Nash to the 4th and Dubinsky to the wing, giving him less responsibilities and only leaves one spot(when healthy) for everyone to fight for.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Oh yeah I definitely wouldn't go overboard to get him and I realize we probably won't, but I would love to get our offensive depth bolstered up a bit to match the D. We looked fine last season until Dubinsky, Wennberg and Atkinson were injured in December and we were a shell of the team that started the season. And this season we have a lot of unproven or unknown depth looking to fill in those roles.

I'd be fine with Anisimov, but I think Hayes fits the identity of the team better ("young" player with a lot of prove)

As of now

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Nash-Anderson
Milano/Duclair/Dubinsky/Sedlak

Abramov/Robinson/Vigneault/Stenlund

Adding Hayes pushes down Nash to the 4th and Dubinsky to the wing, giving him less responsibilities and only leaves one spot(when healthy) for everyone to fight for.

The bolded I think is a bad thing. Guys need to have a real shot at minutes. People complain when we give up guys like William Karlsson. Well this is how it happens, when we don't give young players a chance (Karlsson actually got plenty of minutes, but my point stands that we're more likely to underdevelop or lose guys if we don't give them a chance).

I'd rather go the first half of the year as is. Then re-evaluate. Think about how little Jarmo had to spend at the deadline to stack the roster - and they were #1 in the league in goal scoring from then on.

Reactions: Nanabijou

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hayes + Rangers #1 a+ a top prospect for a re-signed (or committed to) Panarin works for me.

Our C depth would be very good.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Hayes + Rangers #1 a+ a top prospect for a re-signed (or committed to) Panarin works for me.

Not gonna happen, most Rangers fans are extremely against adding Panarin right now. Not only does it gut their prospect pool, it takes them out of contention for Hughes.

The bolded I think is a bad thing. Guys need to have a real shot at minutes. People complain when we give up guys like William Karlsson. Well this is how it happens, when we don't give young players a chance (Karlsson actually got plenty of minutes, but my point stands that we're more likely to underdevelop or lose guys if we don't give them a chance).

I'd rather go the first half of the year as is. Then re-evaluate. Think about how little Jarmo had to spend at the deadline to stack the roster - and they were #1 in the league in goal scoring from then on.
fair enough, there's gonna be a lot of opportunities for guys to make a mark and show they are NHL ready.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

When I watch Kevin Hayes I don't see much of a competitor. And he's about to be paid perhaps more than he's worth.

He's the exact sort of player I'll be pissed off watching if he comes back for Panarin.

Nylander for a signed Panarin + a good RHD prospect would be something a couple Leaf fans would "consider". They are so generous

I'd much rather Nylander than the quantity package mentioned above. Get the best player possible.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Would never, ever, consider trading Panarin to a division rival. Would rather trade him as a rental elsewhere.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not gonna happen, most Rangers fans are extremely against adding Panarin right now. Not only does it gut their prospect pool, it takes them out of contention for Hughes.

Luckily fans have nothing to say about the matter. How does giving up one prospect gut their prospect pool? And yeah, the chance at Hughes is attractive but no means a done deal. If I was a Ranger fan I'd take the deal. Panarin for 7 years is a solid addition for a good player and 2 maybes.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
When I watch Kevin Hayes I don't see much of a competitor. And he's about to be paid perhaps more than he's worth.

He's the exact sort of player I'll be pissed off watching if he comes back for Panarin.

I'd much rather Nylander than the quantity package mentioned above. Get the best player possible.

I'd rather have Nylander also if I have my choice between the 2 deals.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Would never, ever, consider trading Panarin to a division rival. Would rather trade him as a rental elsewhere.

Considering he could easily sign with the Rangers after rented elsewhere, I don't know why it matters to the Jackets. Or he could be flipped back to the division a la Hoffman.

Give the Rangers a higher ask, for sure, but it would be foolish to forego a lot of value because you were afraid of the Rangers.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Considering he could easily sign with the Rangers after rented elsewhere, I don't know why it matters to the Jackets. Or he could be flipped back to the division a la Hoffman.

Give the Rangers a higher ask, for sure, but it would be foolish to forego a lot of value because you were afraid of the Rangers.

Why it matters to the Jackets is you willingly gave a division rival a top tier player, and get to face him (what, is it 6 times?) a season. You instantly give them a star to work with, and they're a better team than they showed last season (Although still not a playoff team).

Unless a division rival gets really stupid with their offer I don't even consider it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Luckily fans have nothing to say about the matter. How does giving up one prospect gut their prospect pool? And yeah, the chance at Hughes is attractive but no means a done deal. If I was a Ranger fan I'd take the deal. Panarin for 7 years is a solid addition for a good player and 2 maybes.
Giving up a possible lottery pick and one of their best prospects essentially taking away the chance of two top players and a roster player for Panarin. The team isn't at the stage that it can build around Panarin, while simultaneously taking away two major building blocks. Trust me I'd love this as a Jackets fan, but I don't think you'd find a single rangers fan that would.

That too

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Why it matters to the Jackets is you willingly gave a division rival a top tier player, and get to face him (what, is it 6 times?) a season. You instantly give them a star to work with, and they're a better team than they showed last season (Although still not a playoff team).

Unless a division rival gets really stupid with their offer I don't even consider it.

A team should never limit their options in a trade. You make the best trade for your team. I could care less what team any player gets traded to. All I care about is what Columbus gets back in the trade.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
A team should never limit their options in a trade. You make the best trade for your team. I could care less what team any player gets traded to. All I care about is what Columbus gets back in the trade.

So what you're saying is, hypothetically, you'd be okay with sending Panarin to Pittsburgh or Washington?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Thank goodness page 16 isn’t a thing anymore. That was pretty unbearable to read. This off-season’s topics/talk on here has been brutal. Pre-season/training camp can’t come soon enough.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So what you're saying is, hypothetically, you'd be okay with sending Panarin to Pittsburgh or Washington?

I'd do it. Kessel for Panrin (except that Kessel is a RW) works. Washington is a bit tougher because I can't see a logical return but if there was one I'do it. Ovie's not playing forever and Backstrom & Oshie aren't spring chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad