Speculation: Summer 2018 General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
No f***ing way in hell do I trade Panarin to Pittsburgh or Washington.

You think we're little brother now...yeah lets give Pittsburgh another cornerstone player so they can dominate us for the next decade as well..Pitt doesn't have the pieces necessary to get Panarin, no way in hell do I trade Panarin for Kessel..

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Looking at the remaining UFA D men I'm hard pressed to find anyone I would want as a 6/7 D.

You've got guys the game passed by like Fayne and Quincy, garrison, Beauch, Bieksa, etc

Others you're not sure you trust like Sbisa.

Some that are just bad like Stoner.

Enstrom has skill but not really what we need I think.
Jerabak could be interesting but honestly sounds like JJ.

Sadly Emelin might be the best fit in the bunch and he's not good.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No ****ing way in hell do I trade Panarin to Pittsburgh or Washington.

You think we're little brother now...yeah lets give Pittsburgh another cornerstone player so they can dominate us for the next decade as well..Pitt doesn't have the pieces necessary to get Panarin, no way in hell do I trade Panarin for Kessel..

Would you have made the original Panarin trade if we were still in the same division as Chicago?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Would you have made the original Panarin trade if we were still in the same division as Chicago?
Well I didn't think Forsberg was gonna amount to much and Panarin for Saad is a no brainer..

If we trade Panarin we're giving up the best player in the deal. That much is a certainty. Unless we get a pick and he ends up being a franchise player the reality is we're not getting a equal return for Panarin unless it's a sign and trade.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Okay.

If the best trade is with a team from our division, we should make the trade. I don't think that would be with Pittsburgh or Washington, but if it was, fine.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If that were my priority, I would cheer for Ohio State and Alabama football, Duke basketball, the Golden State Warriors, and the New England Patriots. I don't cheer for any of those teams, because I'm not an *******.

There is more to sports than championships every year. You can celebrate the successes and still want more progress. It's not black and white.
As a Jackets fan and Buckeye football fan, I take some umbrage with this characterization. ;)

* * *​
Ironically, I find many OSU fans to expect them to win every game by a landslide and turn belligerent if they don't (my wide included)
Yep. I refuse to get on Buckeye message boards for that same reason. I lose enough sanity with all y'all. ;)

Seriously, expecting to win everything every time is tiresome and boring for me. You're basically setting yourself up to be disappointed - how can you possibly enjoy victory if it's set up to be routine? But G-d forbid I try to suggest that instead of, say, somehow miraculously bringing back Tom Herman.

* * *​
So what you're saying is, hypothetically, you'd be okay with sending [any player] to Pittsburgh or Washington?
Depends entirely on what we get. Recall that they would also be having to face whatever they send to us six times every year.

EDIT: removed a particular name from the post quoted to comply with DSL's request in the prior post. It's more of a principle than a particular player thing IMO anyways.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Someone who realizes one is a sniper and one is a playmaker? Lol
Just thought Wennberg would have more goals than a dude who a lot of people have already written off or thought of as a “bust.”

My point was that a 3rd rounder has more goals than a first rounder. Also Duclair is a playmaker too, he just can score where AW cannot.

Over their careers Duclair averages 0.762 G/60, Wennberg 0.41 G/60. Duclair averages 1.09 A/60 to Wennbergs 1.5 A/60.
Duclair never had the opportunities Wennberg had in regards to ice time and players to play with.

I’m hoping Duclair plays opposite Anderson and a center who is fast places between them.

Last edited by a moderator:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sometimes I think the Wennberg criticism would go away if he was just relabeled as something else. People would see him for what he is and not for what he isn't. Call him a mid-fielder.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Just thought Wennberg would have more goals than a dude who a lot of people have already written off or thought of as a “bust.”

My point was that a 3rd rounder has more goals than a first rounder. Also Duclair is a playmaker too, he just can score where AW cannot.

Over their careers Duclair averages 0.762 G/60, Wennberg 0.41 G/60. Duclair averages 1.09 A/60 to Wennbergs 1.5 A/60.
Duclair never had the opportunities Wennberg had in regards to ice time and players to play with.

I’m hoping Duclair plays opposite Anderson and a center who is fast places between them.
He has 4 more goals... Wennberg has almost double his point output..

Reactions: Jackets16

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sometimes I think the Wennberg criticism would go away if he was just relabeled as something else. People would see him for what he is and not for what he isn't. Call him a mid-fielder.

For what he is?

All in favor of changing his sarcastic/degrading nickname from Wenny -to- Passi, say 'I'...

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So, last year Torts was extended on July 31. Is he going into the season "Trotz like" this year?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So, last year Torts was extended on July 31. Is he going into the season "Trotz like" this year?

I'm all for firing people if they deserve it, but Torts has done nothing to NOT deserve an extension. If the Jackets let him leave, per se, because they didn't want to sign him to a contract I will be very angry with management.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
...... If the Jackets let him leave, per se, because they didn't want to sign him to a contract I will be very angry with management.

2 cents from Old Guy

When Mike Babcock signed a $50 m contract, it changed the game for every other franchise. They had to step back and re-look at their budget and how they value their coaches and how they manage their coaches. For example, no coach was fired during the season last year. That has almost never happened before. Owners will no let GM's have THAT dead money on their books (or at least less of it).

When the Vancouver stipend ended, Jarmo probably went to Tortorella and said something like; "hey I know you are due and raise and I'm going to get you that, but we can't be irresponsible". "What we are really talking about is the 2nd year of your contract anyway. Let's put this off one year. We will tear up your 2nd year contract next year when we re-negotiate a new one". Torts probably replied; "Will I still have enough $$ to feed my dogs?" Jarmo; "Yes, we will make certain there is plenty of dog food". Torts; "Okay"

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Torts isn't the only one with an expiring contract: Zito, Jarmo, and JD all expire this year too.

That might be part of it.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm not a soccer buff so I maybe miss your analogy. Here's the thing that puzzles me about Wennberg. When placed next to Bread, our best scorer, it simply didn't click. Nor has he ever seemed to click at even strength with Cam, our second best scorer. Based on him being considered a good set-up man, I would think the combos would generate better results.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Torts isn't the only one with an expiring contract: Zito, Jarmo, and JD all expire this year too.

That might be part of it.
Jarmo and Jd are absolutely safe, Torts has to show he won’t mismanage his players , lines , utilization , etc . There is a lot to be learned from the Karlsson, Bjork, and Milano situations , and you need to make sure that you have the right guy that will get the most out of what the game is today.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm not a soccer buff so I maybe miss your analogy. Here's the thing that puzzles me about Wennberg. When placed next to Bread, our best scorer, it simply didn't click. Nor has he ever seemed to click at even strength with Cam, our second best scorer. Based on him being considered a good set-up man, I would think the combos would generate better results.
When you really study Wennberg in detail , the majority of his points are secondary assist , which is very troubling for a pass only type player .

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just thought Wennberg would have more goals
goals goals goals goals goals goals goals
all that matters is goals
assists don't matter
defense doesn't matter
goaltending doesn't matter
it's all about the goals
the goals
goals
goals
goals goals goals goals goals
only the goals
just goals
goals goals goals

This is clearly also why folks want to dump Bob. HE DOESN'T SCORE ENOUGH GOALS.

Honest to ****ing G-d Almighty, people, this is getting seriously absurd. We know he's not a sniper. We have always known he is not a sniper. What. The. Ever-Loving FLIPPING **** is with y'all's puerile obsession with ignoring Wennberg's points and only looking at goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad