Speculation: Summer 2018 General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The point is to win. I am entertained when the team I root for wins or at least plays well. But the overriding thing I want in teams I root for are championships.

Of course. Every player, coach, GM, fan, etc.... wants their team to win championships. The point is you shouldn't only get enjoyment/entertainment if your team wins a championship.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Just because you’re young doesn’t mean anything. We have been the youngest team in the league for the last few years and have nothing to show for.

Also Werenski is NOT a 1D yet.

Lightning (Point, Sergachev, Vasileski), Avalanche (Mackinnon, Rantanen,Kerfoot, Zadorov), Oilers (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse), Panthers (Barkov, Ekblad) Hurricanes (Aho, Teravainen, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce) Bruins (Pasta, McAvoy, Carlo), Philly (Patrick, Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim) all off the top of my head with young players just as good if not better than ours, also have very good veterans mixed in as well, which we don’t have especially after losing Panarin.

Jones is a beast.
McAvoy>Provorov> Werenski as far as D’s
McDavid>MacKinnon>Draisaitl>Barkov>Aho>Point>PLD as far as C’s
Nothing to show for it? First time for back to back playoff appearances as the youngest team? Werenski may not be a #1 after 2 years but he's shown enough to be considered top pair and played hurt all year last year. I'll just disagree with the rest of your post. Respect your opinion but disagree

Reactions: major major

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Actually, I think that's debatable. The point is to be entertained. We don't have to win every game and every championship. Would it be great to win? Hell yes. But people still root for this team even without that (and hopefully enjoy that - otherwise I'd question why be a fan).

Rooting for the team to be good enough is not why I endured the first 10 seasons of abysmal play as a fan. If the CBJ's goal is to just be a perennial playoff team then I am supporting the wrong franchise. Is that good? Yes. But if the objective isn't to win the Cup then I would need to move on.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Rooting for the team to be good enough is not why I endured the first 10 seasons of abysmal play as a fan. If the CBJ's goal is to just be a perennial playoff team then I am supporting the wrong franchise. Is that good? Yes. But if the objective isn't to win the Cup then I would need to move on.

Well, I still found those first 10 seasons pretty entertaining. I'm sure you did too!

major major

Feb 18, 2013

This is a fine enough understanding. Some folks will never even admit that though. There is no good other than the cup, and everyone is doing a poor job every year until it happens, and ought to be fired.

I personally think every game matters. You can celebrate a lot of things along the way, not just the cups. In a league with 31 teams you really ought to, to protect your mental health.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
If that were my priority, I would cheer for Ohio State and Alabama football, Duke basketball, the Golden State Warriors, and the New England Patriots. I don't cheer for any of those teams, because I'm not an asshole.

There is more to sports than championships every year. You can celebrate the successes and still want more progress. It's not black and white.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The classic "~30 teams are failures every year" mentality that you often see in American pro sports. If you don't win the Cup or tank your way to get the next McDavid, the year was a disaster. It's foolish. No team should ever stop trying to find ways to get better but a perennial playoff team (a winning and competitive team) has a chance of winning the Cup every year. Be that kind of team long enough and maybe you'll get lucky at some point. Ask Caps.

I really dislike the feast or famine mentality. You could conflate it to individual games and shootouts as well. Why does every game has to have a winner/loser? Some would be just fine to end in a tie after an exciting OT. I just feel it promotes the wrong kind of thinking where you always have to have a winner and a loser. But I guess it reflects to the prevalent societal culture in some ways.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
This isn't the NBA where the Atlanta Hawks were good enough for a solid 3rd-4th seed in the East every year but had no way to become one of the 5-6 teams who can contend for a title.

Getting top picks can certainly help (see Pittsburgh), but the NHL playoffs are more wide open than the NBA's.

In short, I think we're fine.

Reactions: thebus88

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The classic "~30 teams are failures every year" mentality that you often see in American pro sports. If you don't win the Cup or tank your way to get the next McDavid, the year was a disaster. It's foolish. No team should ever stop trying to find ways to get better but a perennial playoff team (a winning and competitive team) has a chance of winning the Cup every year. Be that kind of team long enough and maybe you'll get lucky at some point. Ask Caps.

I really dislike the feast or famine mentality. You could conflate it to individual games and shootouts as well. Why does every game has to have a winner/loser? Some would be just fine to end in a tie after an exciting OT. I just feel it promotes the wrong kind of thinking where you always have to have a winner and a loser. But I guess it reflects to the prevalent societal culture in some ways.

I don't think it's that black and white either.
My issue was for years and years we were in the middle of no where. Either one of last team out of or last team in the playoffs and an early exit. Never getting better.
I'm not ok where we are after all these seasons (handful of playoff appearances, 0 wins in playoff series). But at least in last 4 years we have been building towards something (goaltending and solid blue line), rather than tweaks every year to fix glaring weakness from year before.
But issue is now is the elite goaltender needs a contract and I'm not sure how long or big we should go. And without Bob where are we? Maybe with him we're above average is other way to look at it.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
lol at people trying to make villians out of the people wanting more. At the end of the day this is the first time we have made the playoffs back to back. Idk about you but that should be expected over an 18 year period. Jarmo and comp have had a lot of time to make this team competitive, and we still aren’t. We have had no success in the post season and that is where the results actually matter. Does it make me happy to make the playoffs sure, but am I supposed to rejoice in the fact that we have never Won a playoff series? I think it’s fair to expect 1 series win in 18 years, even one series win since JD and Jarmo arrived. Brick by brick mentality is just a never ending scheme for fans to not become critical, and for false future hope.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think many of you are twisting what he actually said. You can have all the reasons you personally want, to be a fan, and many people may have different reasons. But lets be clear, Jarmo's goal and mindset is to win the Stanley Cup, every season. Not to be entertaining, or to make the playoffs. Their goal is to win the cup, and anything short of that is a failure. You compete to be the best, not to just belong. There are no participation trophies in the nhl.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If that were my priority, I would cheer for Ohio State and Alabama football, Duke basketball, the Golden State Warriors, and the New England Patriots. I don't cheer for any of those teams, because I'm not an *******.

There is more to sports than championships every year. You can celebrate the successes and still want more progress. It's not black and white.

That would be called bandwagoning. I find your inclusion of OSU football pretty funny considering they've won only two national championships since 2000. But I digress.

The beauty of championships is when they happen to YOUR team. Jumping from team to team to win championships as a fan is clearly not what I am talking about. When you're loyal to your teams, and you win, it would have to be the best feeling in the world. And my goal as a fan is to experience that with the CBJ.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The part that I find sad (I guess) is that people get so caught up with the idea of winning that they forget there is anything else. They lose themselves to sadistic self torture of why can't we win. They make themselves so miserable they can't enjoy the little things that are part of the journey.

That would be called bandwagoning. I find your inclusion of OSU football pretty funny considering they've won only two national championships since 2000.

Ironically, I find many OSU fans to expect them to win every game by a landslide and turn belligerent if they don't (my wide included)

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The part that I find sad (I guess) is that people get so caught up with the idea of winning that they forget there is anything else. They lose themselves to sadistic self torture of why can't we win. They make themselves so miserable they can't enjoy the little things that are part of the journey.

Ironically, I find many OSU fans to expect them to win every game by a landslide and turn belligerent if they don't (my wide included)

Sure, but that comes with sports. Buckeye football fans are spoiled, no doubt, but the passion is there with every win or loss. Can't blame people for being upset when they lose.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Game 3 of the CBJ-Washington series on NHLN right now. Oh, what could have been!
(Damn! We're LOUD!)

What do you mean Lee, "what could have been"?. Don't you know this team is inferior and was going to lose no matter what? There is no point in watching.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Sure, but that comes with sports. Buckeye football fans are spoiled, no doubt, but the passion is there with every win or loss. Can't blame people for being upset when they lose.

Let's just say there's upset and then there's upset, and for some reason people like to fall in the one where it's like your dog was fed broken glass.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What do you mean Lee, "what could have been"?. Don't you know this team is inferior and was going to lose no matter what? There is no point in watching.
Didn't you tune out after game 5 last season? Or was it just not post on this board?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Conclusion for the Jackets:

The verdict:
Seriously, I have no idea. I’m not sure there’s a team in the league with a wider range of plausible outcomes. We’ll probably get some clarity on Panarin and Bobrovsky before the season starts, but right now anything between a Cup win and a total disaster of a season seems in play here.

Read the article for his take on the goods and bads

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
That would be called bandwagoning. I find your inclusion of OSU football pretty funny considering they've won only two national championships since 2000. But I digress.

And that's the kind of thinking that we're talking about.

Many teams have never won a national championship. Others haven't won one in decades. That doesn't meant they are complete failures unworthy of a fanbase. Given your statement above, I can only imagine that one CBJ Cup win would be followed with the question "when's the next one?" more than it would be celebrated.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And that's the kind of thinking that we're talking about.

Many teams have never won a national championship. Others haven't won one in decades. That doesn't meant they are complete failures unworthy of a fanbase. Given your statement above, I can only imagine that one CBJ Cup win would be followed with the question "when's the next one?" more than it would be celebrated.
I don't think that's such a bad thing though. It just means the city expects a winner and they hold the franchise to a high standard. Even after 2 decades of losers. Mostly thanks to OSU being held as consistent winners, the city only expects the same thing from all of it's teams, whether it's realistic or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad