Summer '15 Thread II (All Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Devils fan just wondering how the Blue Jackets current cap situation is and whether or not some young forwards will be for sale because of it.

Blue Jackets have an insane wealth of young forwards on the NHL team and in their prospect pool. Devils could really use a few, was wondering who would be available. Our new head of scouting Castron picked most of the players so there may be a good chance he likes some of the young guys.

Realistically, the Devils are best off holding onto Severson, Larsson, and Santini. We aren't in the position to make rash moves involving them, so I'm mainly looking at cheaper options that will require lesser prospects and picks. Any thoughts?

At the risk of dismissing your post (not my intent), this conversation has been had before. Generally Devils fans are reluctant to trade the players Jackets fans would like, and vice versa.

Coach gives you a good look at lower-end prospects in the post above.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
William Karlsson and TJ Tynan are the two prospects I see who would be more valuable to the Devils than the Jackets.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Devils now need winger TOP-6. Neither W.Karlsson not Tynan don't match this criteria, even with poor Devils offensive lines. So, only Atkinson, Calvert and Rychel. We need def TOP-4 at least. Devils have Green, Larson and Severson, but they are untouchables. I'm don't see than Gelinas, Merill, Jacobs, J.Moore(joke), Helguson, Hrabarenka,etc. better Connauton, Prout, Goloubef. Santini one of two Devils untouchables prospect.
I don't see Devils our trade partner now.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils now need winger TOP-6. Neither W.Karlsson not Tynan don't match this criteria, even with poor Devils offensive lines. So, only Atkinson, Calvert and Rychel. We need def TOP-4 at least. Devils have Green, Larson and Severson, but they are untouchables. I'm don't see than Gelinas, Merill, Jacobs, J.Moore(joke), Helguson, Hrabarenka,etc. better Connauton, Prout, Goloubef. Santini one of two Devils untouchables prospect.
I don't see Devils our trade partner now.

I'm looking more along the lines of Atkinson or Calvert.

I don't think fans here will agree on a deal but do you think theres a chance one of them would be dumped for picks to free up some space or a spot? Devils are loaded with third round picks so they could pursue one of those guys in another Palmieri like deal.

I will agree on the prospect front. Greene isn't moving but he would be the only one that would make sense to trade for a younger prospects. The rest of the Devils defenders are in that awkward middle stage where it doesn't really make sense to trade them or another team to acquire them. Only one thats movable is Merrill or Gelinas depending on how the three young lefties look -- those being Merrill, Gelinas, and Moore. But then again, Columbus doesn't really have a use for a left-handed D.

The big problem is the Devils don't have the older guys with enough value to trade for young prospects and picks. It hardly makes any sense to swap similar prospects and it rarely happens. Teams will generally prefer to stick with what they've got and what they know. The only option is to look for the younger guys like Palmieri that don't have a spot or are expendable.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Out of Calvert and Atkinson I see Cam being the more expendable, as far as his value? I mean he's a decent goalscorer signed to a decent contract, so i guess a D that's also decent or a pair of picks

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I feel pretty confident that a consistant 20 goal scorer and a player in a posistion of weakness will not be traded for picks

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I feel pretty confident that a consistant 20 goal scorer and a player in a posistion of weakness will not be traded for picks

Understandable. I thought maybe they would be expendable given all the good prospects Columbus has.

For example, Palmieri was traded to the Devils because they felt he was going to score 30 goals next year and they wouldn't have been able to pay him. Columbus and Tampa seem like other two teams in a similar dilemma.

Maybe mid-season or in the off-season one may become available but its understandable if they aren't now.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Understandable. I thought maybe they would be expendable given all the good prospects Columbus has.

For example, Palmieri was traded to the Devils because they felt he was going to score 30 goals next year and they wouldn't have been able to pay him. Columbus and Tampa seem like other two teams in a similar dilemma.

Maybe mid-season or in the off-season one may become available but its understandable if they aren't now.

Bjorkstrand is the only RW and other then Rychel they are all waiting to get some real AHL time. Columbus is ready to do something now not stockpile more picks for the future because as you pointed out our prospect pool is good. Im guessing Jarmo stays put as Bourque comes off the books this year and Boll/Campbell next year and when cash gets real tight Im pretty sure Hartnell and Tyutin will become trade chips.

That said Saad like trades are probably always welcome

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Devils fan just wondering how the Blue Jackets current cap situation is and whether or not some young forwards will be for sale because of it.

To answer this point; no. Certainly not this off season.There is only one young forward with an upcoming contract extension and that's Jenner. I don't see a lot of interest in moving him. Atkinson could be, long term, the most available young forward we have. It's already been discussed.

Next off season could be a bit uncomfortable and thing can always change. However, you're sniffing around at a bad time.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm looking more along the lines of Atkinson or Calvert.

I don't think fans here will agree on a deal but do you think theres a chance one of them would be dumped for picks to free up some space or a spot? Devils are loaded with third round picks so they could pursue one of those guys in another Palmieri like deal.

Calvert's a role player with some top six upside a few years ago. I don't see him going anywhere for a couple of years. Why are you sniffing around now? Roster is pretty much set unless another trade forces a move.

I don't know or care about the details, but screw third round picks.

You're barking up the wrong tree at the wrong time. The odds of us doing anything with a division foe for a cap situation that doesn't exist a month before the season starts is too remote to even consider.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Calvert's a role player with some top six upside a few years ago. I don't see him going anywhere for a couple of years. Why are you sniffing around now? Roster is pretty much set unless another trade forces a move.

I don't know or care about the details, but screw third round picks.

You're barking up the wrong tree at the wrong time. The odds of us doing anything with a division foe for a cap situation that doesn't exist a month before the season starts is too remote to even consider.

I was just asking because I remembered people talking about Columbus cap situation after the Saad extension. Devils don't really have many options to address their issues up front and virtually every other team has been a dead end in terms of trade partners. Columbus has a wealth of forwards so maybe there was someone that might be available. Add to that our new head of scouting drafted every homegrown player on the BlueJackets roster I think its a reasonable question

Around here people scoff at the idea of third round picks but the reality is they are the perfect sweeteners to a deal.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I was just asking because I remembered people talking about Columbus cap situation after the Saad extension. Devils don't really have many options to address their issues up front and virtually every other team has been a dead end in terms of trade partners. Columbus has a wealth of forwards so maybe there was someone that might be available. Add to that our new head of scouting drafted every homegrown player on the BlueJackets roster I think its a reasonable question

No it's not a reasonable question at this time of the season; we are not in cap trouble and we don't need anything. There is almost no chance of anything happening. Come back again around the deadline, at least then we'll have a better feel of what our RFA contracts should look like; not to mention we'll see how this roster performed. I know it's cool to dream about taking advantage of another team, something we do around here - but we mostly restrict it to our own board or, sadly, the mains.

I would say that we'd rather trade a potential, or an actual top six forward, to over a dozen other teams before a divisional foe.

To be honest, there isn't much in your farm system we'd be interested in. Perhaps there might be a young defensemen. I don't see your team being of that much interest to us. We really don't seem to be a trade assets for picks kind of team.

Around here people scoff at the idea of third round picks but the reality is they are the perfect sweeteners to a deal.

I "scoff" because that's about all you came to the game with. You're kind of dreaming because we have stuff. I don't see much actual thought on what we might be interested in that your team actually has to offer. It's mainly just "wow, you have a lot of stuff and limited cap space - here's cookie give us some stuff".

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No it's not a reasonable question at this time of the season; we are not in cap trouble and we don't need anything. There is almost no chance of anything happening. Come back again around the deadline, at least then we'll have a better feel of what our RFA contracts should look like; not to mention we'll see how this roster performed. I know it's cool to dream about taking advantage of another team, something we do around here - but we mostly restrict it to our own board or, sadly, the mains.

I would say that we'd rather trade a potential, or an actual top six forward, to over a dozen other teams before a divisional foe.

To be honest, there isn't much in your farm system we'd be interested in. Perhaps there might be a young defensemen. I don't see your team being of that much interest to us. We really don't seem to be a trade assets for picks kind of team.

I "scoff" because that's about all you came to the game with. You're kind of dreaming because we have stuff. I don't see much actual thought on what we might be interested in that your team actually has to offer. It's mainly just "wow, you have a lot of stuff and limited cap space - here's cookie give us some stuff".
...hon? You know how you keep avoiding posting on the Trades & Rumors board? Do me a big favor and keep doing that. Forever. ;)

Sometimes folks legitimately don't know and are asking out of curiosity and interest. I try not to hold that against 'em.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
...hon? You know how you keep avoiding posting on the Trades & Rumors board? Do me a big favor and keep doing that. Forever. ;)

Sometimes folks legitimately don't know and are asking out of curiosity and interest. I try not to hold that against 'em.

Yeah, yeah. You've also quoted some things in my past and told me I should post more out there.. :p

Check out my first response Viqsi; it was a very reasonable response. However, he decided to keep on going, at that point he lost all expectations of me being cute and cuddly.. :p

I do admit, however, I have a pet peeve with Cap vultures. I don't like it when we do it around here and I really don't like it when they come to our boards.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I have a pet peeve with Cap vultures.

I totally get that.

vulture_cap-r0d6721afd7f64de198017f6342469abd_v9wfy_8byvr_324.jpg

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I imagine you aren't familiar with the situation in Columbus. To get a young NHL player that fills the Devils needs, Columbus needs a young NHL defenseman back. The trade needs to be reasonably Cap neutral and I think if there is a value difference either team could add those picks you mentioned.

What young NHL defense can you offer?

thebus2288*

So another "best case scenario" to me other than Winnepeg sucking and us getting Buff for Wennberg+ is probably a more realistic and cheaper option.

I'll start of by saying don't know what New Jersey is doing. While they're not a "bad" team, I really don't see them making the playoffs and almost no chance of winning a round. While they have a few good young pieces each up front and on the backend I don't see these guys' "window" aligned up with the vets they have on the team. I hate what most peoples concept of "the window" is but in this case I think it makes sense. While it seems they are attempting to get younger(which helps this idea) they still have a pretty unique, and IMO "undesired", combo of aging vets and "not quite there" younger players (defenseman mainly). I think they'd be better off selling off their "vets" of value for some younger potential players.

So hope they fail this year and allow their most valuable vet asset (Greene) to become available.

Say Wennberg, Golobeuf/Connauton, Bourque(cap), 2nd or 3rd rounder?

You guys will say its too much but also want or say we "need" an upgrade or "top pairing" defenseman. Well you wont get 1 for much cheaper trade wise and contract wise than this.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Were not trading Wennberg for a Dmen when we have so many Dmen pounding on the door a roster spot, and even more next season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So another "best case scenario" to me other than Winnepeg sucking and us getting Buff for Wennberg+ is probably a more realistic and cheaper option.

I'll start of by saying don't know what New Jersey is doing. While they're not a "bad" team, I really don't see them making the playoffs and almost no chance of winning a round. While they have a few good young pieces each up front and on the backend I don't see these guys' "window" aligned up with the vets they have on the team. I hate what most peoples concept of "the window" is but in this case I think it makes sense. While it seems they are attempting to get younger(which helps this idea) they still have a pretty unique, and IMO "undesired", combo of aging vets and "not quite there" younger players (defenseman mainly). I think they'd be better off selling off their "vets" of value for some younger potential players.

So hope they fail this year and allow their most valuable vet asset (Greene) to become available.

Say Wennberg, Golobeuf/Connauton, Bourque(cap), 2nd or 3rd rounder?

You guys will say its too much but also want or say we "need" an upgrade or "top pairing" defenseman. Well you wont get 1 for much cheaper trade wise and contract wise than this.

The sooner you accept Swedish filatov will be here for a long time the sooner we can all move forward. I can almost promise you wennberg is going to stay for at least one more contract.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Swedish Filatov? Some of you are absolutely off your rockers. Wennberg is much more of a player than Filatov. Wennberg made some huge strides at the end of last season and was pretty beastly along the boards. He's gonna surprise a lot of people this year IMO.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Swedish Filatov? Some of you are absolutely off your rockers. Wennberg is much more of a player than Filatov. Wennberg made some huge strides at the end of last season and was pretty beastly along the boards. He's gonna surprise a lot of people this year IMO.

Thebus doesn't like Wennberg and has called him "the Swedish filatov". Wennberg was was just mocking him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

It was more of a general question to just see what the options are for the Devils. I don't understand the hostility. It was more just to understand where Columbus was at to see if there was an opportunity for a trade between the two teams to add a young forward. To be honest, the Devils don't have many options aside from trying to pry players off other teams for cheap.

To be honest, I prefer going into a teams boards and having genuine conversations rather than the main thread. The main boards get derailed from one idiotic comment and all constructive conservation is lost. In the Oilers board, I had a full conversation with fans about dealing Larsson or Severson for Draisaitl or a young forward without any posters coming in with some asinine comments to ruin the discussion.

I imagine you aren't familiar with the situation in Columbus. To get a young NHL player that fills the Devils needs, Columbus needs a young NHL defenseman back. The trade needs to be reasonably Cap neutral and I think if there is a value difference either team could add those picks you mentioned.

What young NHL defense can you offer?

The problem is the Devils have Merrill and Gelinas who may end up being expendable but they're both left-handed D. Our two right handed guys that Columbus would want -- Severson and Larsson -- we can't afford to give up. To be honest, I'm more looking to the guys the Devils can acquire with picks or Merrill/Gelinas not ones that would require Larsson or Severson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad