Summer '15 Thread (All Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Still, I refuse to outright exclude trading him as a possibility. It is worth consideration.

There is no one, including Joey and Bob, totally excluded from trade possibilities. They are just much less likely to be traded.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
The conclusion should have been wtf does it take:

You have no idea if this is accurate. That's jumping to a conclusion that you can't possibly know. I don't know if we offered the 8, but it is quite plausible that a GM didn't want a player in the same conference and that a few spots in the draft doesn't matter to him as much as it matters to you.

There are enough rumblings around the NHL to suggest that there were, indeed, top 10 pick(s) offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
James Mirtle reported they were offered "much higher" 1st round picks than 15th overall for Dougie. Anyone know which team(s)?
I'd guess the Flyers and Jackets definitely wanted Hamilton. Both were desperate to walk away with good D in draft. They ended up drafting Provorov and Werenski. So Boston could have gotten 7th or 8th overall.

Never got why teams are so ****ing afraid of trading in their own conference. You aren't trading Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr.

I'm not as smart as all of you, but if I knew Hamilton was being traded for picks and he was for a 15OA and two 2nd rounders... I wouldn't have let that deal happen without offering 8OA a second and our 1st from next year. That price is less than it would have been to offer sheet Hamilton - chances like this do not come around very often. You are right Blahblah.. I don't know what Sweeney was thinking.. but I know he is a dumb ass, and that we should have taken advantage of that for a 22 year old that is ready to play "today"

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You are right Blahblah.. I don't know what Sweeney was thinking.. but I know he is a dumb ass, and that we should have taken advantage of that for a 22 year old that is ready to play "today"

You are still under the assumption that he was willing to dead in conference.

Buckcub

Jul 22, 2009
C-Bus
To the Coyotes:
Tyutin
Atkinson
Anisimov
Clarkson
Borque
Prout
Rychel

For:
Ekman-Larson
2nd round pick

Resign Letestu

Arizona currently has 12 players under contract and needs to add 13.5mil to get to the floor. Cleans up our roster a lot. Let's the kids (Bjorkstrand, Milano) fill in for injuries if they're ready. If not we can get more Gibbons/Skillet types to fill out the 4th line.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
James Mirtle reported they were offered "much higher" 1st round picks than 15th overall for Dougie. Anyone know which team(s)?
I'd guess the Flyers and Jackets definitely wanted Hamilton. Both were desperate to walk away with good D in draft. They ended up drafting Provorov and Werenski. So Boston could have gotten 7th or 8th overall.

Never got why teams are so ****ing afraid of trading in their own conference. You aren't trading Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr.

Funny thing is that it's been widely reported that Columbus had the best offer for Anders Lindback when he was a hotly-pursued commodity. Spurned by Nashville because of the in-division considerations, the trade was made for Plan B: Sergei Bobrovsky,

I'm not as smart as all of you, but if I knew Hamilton was being traded for picks and he was for a 15OA and two 2nd rounders... I wouldn't have let that deal happen without offering 8OA a second and our 1st from next year. That price is less than it would have been to offer sheet Hamilton - chances like this do not come around very often. You are right Blahblah.. I don't know what Sweeney was thinking.. but I know he is a dumb ass, and that we should have taken advantage of that for a 22 year old that is ready to play "today"

That's an obscenely high price for a player who I firmly believe will never be worth it.

That said, I'd have been more than happy to act as a passthrough for Hamilton. Hammer out the structure of a deal with various conditions attached to it to basically force Columbus to move him to the Western Conference: Boston gets better assets than they did and don't have to worry about Hamilton in-conference, Columbus gets assets from both teams. Just like how Manny Ramirez was a Pittsburgh Pirate for about 15 minutes.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Doesn't help our cause that theres like 20 teams looking for defenseman this year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here's a positive view on our team: Brandon Dubinsky is one of the best, and most underrated 2c's in the game, and we don't need a bunch of guys waiting around to do his job.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So with UFA day nearing, I'm wondering if we bite on franson/green.

It could make our d look like:
Top pair (hardest minutes): Murray - Savard
Second pair (offensive minutes): Jack - Green/Franson

This is an improvement over what we have now, but still inferior to adding Buff.

Top pair (hard): Murray - Buff
Second pair (easy): Jack - Savard

So does jarmo go for franson/green in ufa if trades can't be worked out? I probably wouldn't, considering the long term commitments to players who wouldn't be perfect fits. Better to hold out for a real top pair guy.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

This is an improvement over what we have now, but still inferior to adding Buff.

So does jarmo go for franson/green in ufa if trades can't be worked out? I probably wouldn't, considering the long term commitments to players who wouldn't be perfect fits. Better to hold out for a real top pair guy.

The only way I sign a D is if they agree to a 3 year, or less, contract. Like you said, I doubt that happens.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Interesting on the pass through idea..

That's an obscenely high price for a player who I firmly believe will never be worth it.

That said, I'd have been more than happy to act as a passthrough for Hamilton. Hammer out the structure of a deal with various conditions attached to it to basically force Columbus to move him to the Western Conference: Boston gets better assets than they did and don't have to worry about Hamilton in-conference, Columbus gets assets from both teams. Just like how Manny Ramirez was a Pittsburgh Pirate for about 15 minutes.

First this year, and a first next year. If we are lucky Werenski becomes what Hamilton already is and since he is 17 that will take 4-5 years. Then somehow leak that trade to the media through Friedman & let the Bruin org weigh in.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
First this year, and a first next year. If we are lucky Werenski becomes what Hamilton already is and since he is 17 that will take 4-5 years. Then somehow leak that trade to the media through Friedman & let the Bruin org weigh in.

No way.

It would basically look like this, at least in my mind. Remember I'm not a fan of Hamilton.

To BOS:
2015 1st-rounder (#8)
2015 2nd-rounder (#34)
2015 2nd-rounder (#38, conditional)
2015 2nd-rounder (#58, conditional)
2016 1st-rounder (conditional)
2016 2nd-rounder (conditional)

To CBJ:
Hamilton
2016 1st-rounder (conditional)
2016 Islanders 2nd-rounder (conditional)
2016 3rd-rounder (conditional)

Conditions are as follows:
- CBJ keeps #38 in 2015 draft if they are able to trade Hamilton to a Western Conference team by the time that #38 is on the clock
- CBJ keeps #58 with the same provision
- CBJ keeps 2016 draft picks if they are able to trade him out of conference before the first game of the 2015-16 regular season

- BOS gives up 2016 1st-rounder, 2nd-rounder, and 3rd-rounder if CBJ trades him out of conference between pick #59 and the beginning of free agency

And of course, Columbus keeps whatever they can acquire from the Western team in moving Hamilton.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

A 6 million UFA contract puts us at the cap level for this year. 2 years down the it puts us over by about 3 mill if the cap only rises 3% per. I don't see us getting that tight to the cap ceiling. I think a trade is the only logical way to add some quality to the blueline. Problem is cap tight teams who might trade don't want salary back. Maybe Nashville or Minnesota have an affordable player.

Wennberg for Ellis?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Look at what was given..

You are still under the assumption that he was willing to dead in conference.

as Vito said in the movie, "I'd make him an offer he can't refuse". Offer sheeting a player in the 5MM+ range would cost 3 firsts. Knowing you are in a smaller market and likely have to overpay anyway, and our need for a player of this caliber that is all of 22 years old could be considered pretty great.. I would have given that extra first rounder. I saw posters on here talking about giving Milano, Rychel and the 8OA, or Wennberg, Rychel and 8OA, I wouldn't have done either of those but two firsts.. hell yes.

Your an accountant.. make the deal work

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Posted this in the draft thread, but it seems more appropriate here

Barring no roster moves:

Locks to be on the 23 man roster (In some way. In lineup or healthy scratched):

Johansen
Foligno
Dubinsky
Hartnell
Jenner
Clarkson
Anisimov
Atkinson
Calvert
Tyutin
Murray
Johnson
Savard
Bobrovsky
McElhinney

So in review that means

Foligno - Johansen - Jenner
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Calvert - Anisimov - Clarkson
xx - xx - xx
xx

and on D

Johnson - Savard
Tyutin - Murray
xx - xx
xx

And then an additional roster spot up for grabs. Could carry 8 dmen (what we did last year) or two extra forwards (the norm).

And the guys battling for the remaining 8 roster spots are

Wennberg
Dano
Tropp
Bourque
Morin
Boll
Rychel
Milano
Bjorkstrand
Karlsson
Chaput
Anderson
Prout
Goloubef
Connauton
Falk
Kukan

Going to be a really hard training camp. That's alot of players and not too many spots. Of course this is all assuming no trades to alleviate the group of players battling for spots or players off the locks aren't moved along, or the re-signing of Mark Letestu (but this seems unlikely.)

As everyone knows, we have tons of forwards and not too many roster spots. This is going to be interesting

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Barring no roster moves:

Locks to be on the 23 man roster (In some way. In lineup or healthy scratched):

Johansen - Concussion, out till February.
Foligno - Groin tear
Dubinsky - Sports hernia
Hartnell
Jenner - Breaks (other) hand
Clarkson
Anisimov - Has head down when crossing street, out indefinitely.
Atkinson
Calvert - Gets US work Visa revoked.
Tyutin - Somehow winds up with Calvert's work Visa instead of his own.
Murray - Breaks every bone in his body. Like Evel Knievel.
Johnson
Savard
Bobrovsky - Tears groin again, so he can be like Foligno.
McElhinney

So in review that means
Hartnell - Clarkson - Atkinson
xx - xx - xx
xx - xx - xx
xx - xx - xx

and on D

Johnson - Savard
xx - xx
xx - xx
xx

McElhinney
xx

I fixed that for you. Based, of course, on our trajectory from last season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Posted this in the draft thread, but it seems more appropriate here

As everyone knows, we have tons of forwards and not too many roster spots. This is going to be interesting

I can't believe we're going to keep Boll over all those guys. :help:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Still not convinced he won't be bought out tbh. Unless Jarmo really feels like he can get rid of some depth forwards

He would have to go on waivers today I think and if not claimed bought out tomorrow. Otherwise he's all ours for another year. Although Jarmo did say something about guys playing in the AHL in response to a question from Porty:

That leaves little room for the club’s top forward prospects to make the club out of training camp, and it could force the Blue Jackets to send players with one-way contract (and NHL salaries) to the minor-league affiliate in Cleveland.

“I think that’s a great problem to have,†Kekalainen said. “We want to get into a situatoin where we have guys who are too good to play in the AHL. It’s not going to hurt anybody to play in the AHL.â€

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2015/06/draft-done-now-what.html

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Our problem with our roster and wanting to improve it is we have all these assets that are untouchable or hard to get and then there's everyone else. Taking goalies aside, We have really good veterans that we don't want to move (Dubi, Foligno, Hartnell, ex), really high end young players that we don't want to move (Joey, Jenner, Murray, Wennberg, Dano, etc), and players we could move but they would make us really weak so they probably won't go anywhere (Tyutin, Johnson, etc), and then there's the dead weight with no value to other teams so they're not going anywhere (Clarkson, Bourque, Boll). The only outliers of these appear to be Calvert, Atkinson, Anisimov, Goloubef, and Prout. Possibly Connauton too, but Jarmo has spoken very highly of him. Could these players get you a dman in a package (with prospects/picks)? Sure, but probably not anything better than a 2nd pairing guy, and that's only a minor improvement of what we have.

Long story short, I don't expect us to make more than a few depth moves (Shaving the dead weight like Morin, Tropp, etc), and signing a few depth players for call ups from Lake Erie. I think our roster how it stands now will almost be 100% identical to the one we see on opening night.

Is that the same as most other NHL rosters?
The guys you are getting good value at of you want to keep and other teams want them as well.
Young guys with potential you may (or may not) be getting value from and in some cases other teams want them as well but you hate to trade them to see them blossom somewhere else (like Jake).
Then you have guys that are overpaid and you would like to get rid of, but in most cases other teams don't want them unless they give back their junk to us.

To get better you can't just hope to trade young players and bundle in a few bad contracts and hope to find a trade partner. You need to have an organizational plan and see who fits and wh is expendable - in many cases it may be valuable pieces but if you need a valuable piece more than likely you have to give up something as well.

I also think (despite the cap) that the team doesn't want to spend too much more money next year. They (IMO) are willing to spend some on a d-man but will give up a decent contract too, but above that I don't see them upgrading.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Dennis from TFP won't come off Oduya to CBJ...I liked the idea at first, but now I'm really souring on it...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Dennis from TFP won't come off Oduya to CBJ...I liked the idea at first, but now I'm really souring on it...

Seems to me Oduya would be a 3/4/5 d-man for us. I'm just really curious to see what Jarmo does. Sekera maybe, but he's not a #1 d-man, seems like a second pairing d-man. Green is too much of a defensive liability, puts up huge points though. I still think the best option is on the trade market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad