Sudbury Wolves 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
How short of a leash do Papineau and Duncanson have? Zulich has promised a deep run yet most predict the Wolves to be fighting for a playoff spot or not making it at all.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How short of a leash do Papineau and Duncanson have? Zulich has promised a deep run yet most predict the Wolves to be fighting for a playoff spot or not making it at all.
The leash must be short for Papineau. He has to give the coaches a capable playoff roster; or, he has to convince Zullich that 2024-25 will be worth the wait. Bottom four attendance of 2160 cannot make Zullich happy. It probably needs to get up to at least 3100.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
I keep waiting for @cub to post a link with a tweet or article confirming that Chromiak has signed.. still waiting lol

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I keep waiting for @cub to post a link with a tweet or article confirming that Chromiak has signed.. still waiting lol

lol, I think alot of these imports have many options now, especially getting paid to play in other leagues. it's always been challenging to get imports to Sudbury even prior Papineau. Like Don Cherry used to say they take spots from Canadian Players. Gives Canadian Players an opportunity, but I hear you. The imports we drafted are high end, making it tougher to get them to OHL. Maybe strategy in importing, taking less ranked imports with upside, but will they be better than the Canadian talent we have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: howlman

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
lol, I think alot of these imports have many options now, especially getting paid to play in other leagues. it's always been challenging to get imports to Sudbury even prior Papineau. Like Don Cherry used to say they take spots from Canadian Players. Gives Canadian Players an opportunity, but I hear you. The imports we drafted are high end, making it tougher to get them to OHL. Maybe strategy in importing, taking less ranked imports with upside, but will they be better that the Canadian talent we have?
Was it tough before? I posted this earlier but will add the same time period before Papineau. Wolves teams before Papineau pretty consistently drafted Europeans who report, while no one on the same level as Ukko, a lot of impact players in Sokolov, Kahun, Kubalik, Jenys, and Mattson.

Papineau era

Zack Malik

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

2019:
Frederik Dichow
Kalle Loponen

2022:
Samu Tuomaala
Dominik Jendek

2021:
Tomas Trunda
Kasper Kulonummi

Jakub Chromiak
Dalibor Dvorsky

Pre-Papineau
Kondelik

Dimitri Sokolov

Pavel Jenys
Ivan Kashtanov

No selections made

Dominik Kubalik
Dominik Kahun

Johan Mattson
Jiri Sekac

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Was it tough before? I posted this earlier but will add the same time period before Papineau. Wolves teams before Papineau pretty consistently drafted Europeans who report, while no one on the same level as Ukko, a lot of impact players in Sokolov, Kahun, Kubalik, Jenys, and Mattson.

Papineau era

Zack Malik

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

2019:
Frederik Dichow
Kalle Loponen

2022:
Samu Tuomaala
Dominik Jendek

2021:
Tomas Trunda
Kasper Kulonummi

Jakub Chromiak
Dalibor Dvorsky

Pre-Papineau
Kondelik

Dimitri Sokolov

Pavel Jenys
Ivan Kashtanov

No selections made

Dominik Kubalik
Dominik Kahun

Johan Mattson
Jiri Sekac

Kind of prove my point, Papineau has gotten imports every year except Covid onset. Malik, UPL, Dichow (was coming), Loponen, Jendek. Pre Papineau some good imports, but look past 2011, there were a few imports we shipped back didn't fit in like Stepanov, Sheleg, Polak etc. It's always a gamble.

Reactions: Wiserbud

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Judging from the recent coaching hires, Papineau has a long leash and Duncanson has a short one. The backup plan is in place

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Delic - Goyette - Konyen
Boudreau - Larmand - McCallum
Musty - Villneuve - Pharrand
DeGrazia
Assadourian
Derbidge
Walton
Simpson
Would the 4th line be Walton-DeGrazia-Assadourian? Does DeGrazia get moved to make room for an OA D and Derbidge on 4th line?
While the forward group is potentially excellent, it does not seem like it will measure up well to any central division team for this season. Is the 2003-F group moved by the deadline?

Last edited:

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
What do you predict for individual points from this forward group?
Goyette 80-100
Delic 60-70
Konyen 60-70
Musty 70-80
Degrazia 60-70
Villeneuve 40-50
Pharand 40-50
Assadourian 50-60
Larmand 40
Boudreau 40

I believe for the most part this is conservative and many players will exceed these totals. This group compares favourably in our division

Last edited:

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
What do you predict for points for individual points for this forward group?
Goyette 80-100
Delic 60-70
Konyen 60-70
Musty 70-80
Degrazia 60-70
Villeneuve 40-50
Pharand 40-50
Assadourian 50-60
Larmand 40
Boudreau 40

I believe for the most part this is conservative and many players will exceed these totals. This group compares favourably in our division
You’ll find some players will not score as per expectation. That list is assuming everyone develops at the VIP rate. That doesn’t happen.

And when someone else is scoring more points, usually means someone else isn’t.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That applys to every team.Offense will not be the problem.Defense is where the questions will linger
It would be a good season for Goyette to get 80-90 pts. I can see Musty hitting your target. Maybe DeGrazia if full-time with Musty making Walton - Villeneuve - Pharrand the 4th line.
Offence will be a bit of a problem this season, I think. The scoring lines are made up of 3-18 yr olds and possibly another of 17-16-17. The 19 yr olds form a checking line; it’s possible none hit 60 pts.

Last edited:

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
It would be a good season for Goyette to get 80-90 pts. I can see Musty hitting your target. Maybe DeGrazia if full-time with Musty making Walton - Villeneuve - Pharrand the 4th line.
Offence will be a bit of a problem this season, I think. The scoring lines are made up of 3-18 yr olds and possibly another of 17-16-17. The 19 yr olds form a checking line; it’s possible none hit 60 pts.

There could be some big surprises and "break out" seasons, who knows. Calculated guesses can be done, but there's no crystal ball until the season plays out. All kids develop at different stages. You can't base everything solely off of "age". Yes age plays a big factor, but many other factors play a role, such as talent level, elite talent, offseason training etc. With the Central being so tough this season, the Wolves will only benefit from that. The only way you get better is to play against the best and raise the bar. Wolves have some nice pieces, as do other teams.

Reactions: cub

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
youd think ben leeson would have written something
Written what? That they aren't coming? He's not going to write negative stuff about the Wolves.

Euros always had the option to stay in Europe. They don't have more options now then before. Dichow was coming the year after he got drafted! He didn't come the first season.

When your picking 7th, you need to pick a guy that will come and make an impact. Sorry, but that's a requirement of the job! Making the team better. Maybe Chromiak really made it sound like he was coming, but by July 1st these Euro kids pretty much know where they intent to play the following season! You need to get some sort of commitment that the player intents to come to NA to develop that style of game. Sure swing for the fences on the 2nd round pick! I had no issues with that so long as they had a strong enough commitment with their first pick. Swinging for the fences with both picks? That's bad asset management!

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Delic - Goyette - Konyen
Boudreau - Larmand - McCallum
Musty - Villneuve - Pharrand
DeGrazia
Assadourian
Derbidge
Walton
Simpson
Would the 4th line be Walton-DeGrazia-Assadourian? Does DeGrazia get moved to make room for an OA D and Derbidge on 4th line?
While the forward group is potentially excellent, it does not seem like it will measure up well to any central division team for this season. Is the 2003-F group moved by the deadline?

Musty will play top 6 I believe. Be interesting what they will do with DeGrazia or McCallum I believe only one stays to make room for younger guys. I think Assadourian plays 3rd line centre possibly with Boudreau and Pharrand. Fourth line Walton Villeneuve Drebridge

Reactions: Wisdom and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Predictions assuming 68GP:

Best player: Goyette 38G 45A 83PTS

Disappointment: Musty 23G 32A 55PTS

Surprise: Pharand 19G 29A 48 PTS
Goyette - 31, 53 = 84 pts
Musty - 35, 25 = 60 pts, team leader PP goals, NHL pick #60
Pharrand - 22, 19 = 41 pts, NHL pick #210
I would be happy with all

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Goyette - 31, 53 = 84 pts
Musty - 35, 25 = 60 pts, team leader PP goals, NHL pick #60
Pharrand - 22, 19 = 41 pts, NHL pick #210
I would be happy with all
You think Musty will be a late 2nd rounder? Seen most have him in the lower half of the first round right now. That'd take a pretty bad season to fall that low I think

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
But are you really expecting anything different? Lol
I didn't watch USA but he produced at the Hlinka tournament. Will have high end linemates in SBY this year so him being a late 2nd round pick seems like it'd be a big disappointment. He should be closer to Ritchie/Allen than to the 3rd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad