Sudbury Wolves 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Villeneuve or Spence would be big helps for Goyette, can play alongside Musty next year. Will be great for the Wolves that they're going to have another player drafted in the NHL 1st round this year, and probably 3 in total, all potentially early.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
What could be the point of that trade?
Too many affiliate players/picks probably. Just kicking the can down the road. They may not have that many guys they care for in that range and would rather have a pick next year instead. Really, how often do late picks make it anyways, so I guess they're just hoping next year there's someone they actually like that should go late.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What could be the point of that trade?
It would have been initiated by Windsor. They only had 13 picks this draft, but 17 next draft. So they wanted to swap a pick. Sudbury would have agreed but got a 14th for a 15th. Good deal for both.

Reactions: Wisdom

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Collins is stepping up at the IIHFs, could put himself on the map for the draft, and getting selected could be huge for his confidence. He might be able to build off of this and really help the team next season.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Collins is stepping up at the IIHFs, could put himself on the map for the draft, and getting selected could be huge for his confidence. He might be able to build off of this and really help the team next season.
Based on the second half of his season, I'd say he deserves to be drafted. After the first half, I was not sure he deserved to be in the OHL.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I shared a rumor I heard in the last thread about Zulich selling the team. This article came out today:

The Wolves ‘will never leave Sudbury,’ says Zulich
So the rumor I shared was wrong... Good lesson, as I've never shared rumors before!

Only reason I shared it is because it was a person with inside knowledge of the KED project who told me the rumor. For what it's worth that same person has told me other things that became true days before the news became public.

Good news for Sudbury.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I shared a rumor I heard in the last thread about Zulich selling the team. This article came out today:

So the rumor I shared was wrong... Good lesson, as I've never shared rumors before!

Only reason I shared it is because it was a person with inside knowledge of the KED project who told me the rumor. For what it's worth that same person has told me other things that became true days before the news became public.

Good news for Sudbury.
For what it's worth, it's not just you, a few folks come into this thread every season to share the same rumor.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Has Zulich got any influence to land Kulich in the import draft since there is only 1 letter separating them?

Reactions: Bra Wavers

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Disappointing since it makes the draft a bit less fun this year, but a good trade for the long term.

Reactions: howlman

Lanny

May 9, 2012
A quick review of the players I noticed on the Wolves and what I thought. Not going to comment on the lines.
#9 Assadourian- keeper, liked his hustle and only improves as a second year player
#11 McCallum- sell if you can, someone wanted Sarnia goaltender-Goudreau- maybe a starting point. Find him good with the puck, without the puck, he becomes brain dead. He has proven over the years to be unreliable and a negative factor the team
#11 Smith- struggles at the OHL level- do not bring back
#13-Delic- keeper- smart player and good defensively
#16- DeGrazia- if you had asked me before Christmas, I would have said to sell him, but with the Covid break, he may have had a hard getting ice. After Christmas he showed more confidence and speed and became a great candidate for an overage.
#18 Simpson never saw him play when dressed- May say something about that?
#21 Pharand- keeper, great size and scoring touch for 16 year old, will only get better in second year
#24 Hollingsworth- only saw two games and thought he struggled to keep up, cannot skate at the OHL level-sell
#27 -Musty- like him, but does he want to be here. Great speed, sees the ice well, gets frustrated that he cannot dominate at this level, that will come in time. Tries to make room for himself with physical contact that should be done by someone else. Injury prone first season- keeper
#28- Boudreau- up and down winger, works hard and is an asset on the ice. Average share and reads the play well. Not afraid to get nose dirty. Solid second line forward – keeper
#44 Derbidge, solid first player, same Boudreau with physicality. Seems to have lost a little after being knocked in his fight earlier in the season. Keeper
#45 Larmand one of the few players other than DeGrazia to benefit from playing Rayside. Great face off player and hard worker. Works the entire shift and see the ice well. Little to physical (unnecessary) at times. Keeper
#88 Goyette- worth the price of admission. Only question is can the Wolves keep him for two more years or does he sign as a 19 year old with his NHL after a stellar post draft year.keeper
#91-Konyen- much like Voit in Sarnia, small and shifty and sees the ice extremely well. Will only get better with more weight and more ice time- keeper
#4 Holmes- seems to know his job, good offensively and has a great shot. Great acquisition at the deadline. Keeper
#26 Robinson- too slow for the speed of the Wolves forwards and the OHL game. Poor decisions with the puck and week defensively. Injury prone. Sell
#49 Robinson- too slow for OHL game and does not like to hit. Send to Sudbury Cubs for a year
#77 Collins- gonna be the number one defenseman before long. Skates well and plays a strong defensive game. Sees the ice well and not afraid to get involved in front of his net. Keeper
#78 Anania- like him as a second or third pairing. Seems to struggle at backwards skating and has trouble with crossovers. The rest of his game is good. May be another player hurt with the lost year not afraid to mix it up and his defensive game is coming along. Keeper
#93 Mania- loves this kid as 16 year old. Great skater and moves the puck well. Defensive game needs improvement, but for a first year player learning at the OHL level he did well. Future star in this league.
Did not see Hoover or Bishop play
#37 Lemaire- with limited games played and zero confidence the coach, that speaks volumes. Played poorly every game I saw. He may be a victim of HEO OHL draft rule. Either play back in Ottawa or sit with the big club. He could have used a season in major midget. Either way, he should be released and not brought back.
Only goaltenders in the system are Morrow, who I believe is looking to go the college route, although at his age, he should have declared by now. The other is Rossi, he did not fair well when brought up to junior A. Goaltending may be the bIggest issue next year along with a two sold defenseman. These are just my thoughts and maybe way of base, those who saw more games then me, please give positive comments to this post.

Sent from my iPa

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
A quick review of the players I noticed on the Wolves and what I thought. Not going to comment on the lines.
Completely agree with you on almost every single player. Only thing I'll add since you did not see him play is Hoover is absolutely a keeper. Despite his lack fo size a big physical presence in the lineup with some underrated offensive skill, I think he along with Assadourian will be breakout players for the Wolves next year.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
With all the youth they still have makes sense to make this type of deal. Get an extra 3rd to add to the picks in house for trades later
This sets them up perfectly to make a deal for an OA or goaltender prior to the season starting. Good deal we have lots of youth and drafting that many higher picks would only upset the apple cart sort to speak we would stand to lose the player for not making the club or from a lack of icetime available.

Wolves fill the 3rd round pick sent to Windsor in the Robinson deal and also hold 3 picks in the 3rd round next season in a draft that is said to be deeper. Wolves have some options now and will pick 3 players that will most likely be on the roster next season. Excited to see who they take with the first 3 picks by the end of the second round.

WJ

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012

Good news for Sudbury.

Funny you never posted on here before, and out of the blue come on to share a rumour.

Reactions: Wisdom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad