Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Elite Prospects - OJHL Stats 2019-2020

Anania led the league in u17 D scoring and D PIM, over Petes 22nd overall pick Artem Guryev. Robinson 4th in scoring too.

Elite Prospects - NAPHL 18U Stats 2019-2020

Pineau 3rd in D u17 scoring too.

We've also got Trevor Mitchell who we picked last year who's a real solid D but has a Western Michigan commitment, though with our makeup perhaps he'd report.

I know number watching isn't great, but we do have D prospects in the system. Especially Anania and Robinson, Anania should be really good for us this year. He scores, he's nasty, we all saw him last year. He'll be a player, and I definitely wouldn't discount Robinson. We likely go D in round one next year anyways too, so that kid should be a player and upon dealing Murray/Ross/Phillips/maybe even Byfield we can definitely add a good 03 or 04 D.

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: keep them honest hockeynorth , I predict if Byfield is back be more acquisitions than sell offs.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Elite Prospects - OJHL Stats 2019-2020

Anania led the league in u17 D scoring and D PIM, over Petes 22nd overall pick Artem Guryev. Robinson 4th in scoring too.

Elite Prospects - NAPHL 18U Stats 2019-2020

Pineau 3rd in D u17 scoring too.

We've also got Trevor Mitchell who we picked last year who's a real solid D but has a Western Michigan commitment, though with our makeup perhaps he'd report.

I know number watching isn't great, but we do have D prospects in the system. Especially Anania and Robinson, Anania should be really good for us this year. He scores, he's nasty, we all saw him last year. He'll be a player, and I definitely wouldn't discount Robinson. We likely go D in round one next year anyways too, so that kid should be a player and upon dealing Murray/Ross/Phillips/maybe even Byfield we can definitely add a good 03 or 04 D.

from the little bit of Anania that I saw last season, I’d say he will be a solid OHL D; but not a top paring D. And little to no chance he can be the physical force and shut down type Guyev seems destined to be.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: keep them honest hockeynorth , I predict if Byfield is back be more acquisitions than sell offs.
Thanks, thought it was important to point out we do have some positives that weren't from this week or aren't on the team. We're really well set up for 2/3 seasons from now.

With that said, I feel we cannot acquire even if Byfield is back unless Hutcheson and/or Robinson go Brazeau mode, Stillman pulls a Jack Quinn, Murray hammers home 50+, Thompson/Phillips/Ross suddenly become studs in their own zone, and our imports (including a goalie) are huge impact players. We simply do not have what is required to go in this season, I think we're much much better off selling even though I'd love to see us take a run with Thompson/Murray/Byfield all on the team as the 3 are all some of the best we've had in a while (save Sokolov imo). We're much better off selling, taking a high pick and lots of assets, and reloading to go for it around this young core we're putting together. Yes, in theory we could load up if Byfield is back I just don't believe it's the best long term move. Personally, I'd love to flip him to the Soo and add Holmes and/or Barker and picks and watch our friends up the highway take a run at the Gens.

Reactions: djscooter

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
from the little bit of Anania that I saw last season, I’d say he will be a solid OHL D; but not a top paring D. And little to no chance he can be the physical force and shut down type Guyev seems destined to be.
Fair enough, Dirty who would you list as the top pairing D in the league this past season out of curiosity?

cub

Apr 11, 2012

so you're a scout?

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
I wonder what the plan will be for Loponen next season? Seems to be mixed opinions about him on here.

You could make an argument to move on from him and Dichow. Look to draft two new Imports, find a high end 03 Import and find a solid goalie that will show up.

Also moving on from Loponen creates space in the top-6 for Anania and Ribau. Both look promising but need ice time to continue developing.

I would imagine the writing is on the wall for Serensits, if the Wolves commit to Samuelsson as one of their OA's. Maybe we can get a 4th/5th round pick for Serensits.

@hockeynorth Payton Robinson has an RPI College commitment

I like the looks of this D to start the season with 7 or 8 dmen:

Thompson 02
Phillips 01
Samuelsson OA
Ross 01
Anania 03
Ribau 02
Collins 04/Pineau 03

Keep building the 03/04 core of this team

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I wonder what the plan will be for Loponen next season? Seems to be mixed opinions about him on here.

You could make an argument to move on from him and Dichow. Look to draft two new Imports, find a high end 03 Import and find a solid goalie that will show up.

Also moving on from Loponen creates space in the top-6 for Anania and Ribau. Both look promising but need ice time to continue developing.

I would imagine the writing is on the wall for Serensits, if the Wolves commit to Samuelsson as one of their OA's. Maybe we can get a 4th/5th round pick for Serensits.

@hockeynorth Payton Robinson has an RPI College commitment

I like the looks of this D to start the season with 7 or 8 dmen:

Thompson 02
Phillips 01
Samuelsson OA
Ross 01
Anania 03
Ribau 02
Collins 04/Pineau 03

Keep building the 03/04 core of this team, and at some point next season selling Phillips & Ross
I believe Loponen himself has planned to go back to the Liiga next season, its what is often said on the leafs boards and the poster under their prospect thread are pretty on top of things.

I would draft an 03 import, best one that will report regardless of position, but preferably a late birthday like Rossi, and a goalie in the import draft. I don't love Dichow as an option though he would be better than any we had this season.

Thompson-Samuellson
Ross- Phillips (used to love this pairing lol)
Anania-Collins/Ribeau

Or drop everyone one slot and import D.

Thanks about Robinson, didn't know that

cub

Apr 11, 2012
funny. No, I don’t claim to ‘I know good coach’, ‘I know good GM’
:)

it was a honest question, defensive I see. How do you see all these players then? My claims are mine, and confident in them.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Fair enough, Dirty who would you list as the top pairing D in the league this past season out of curiosity?

my idea of top pairing last season was top 2-3 of London, Flint, Petes, ‘67s, ... Wilde and Harley for sure. Imo, it takes that type of D corps to contend

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
it was a honest question, defensive I see. How do you see all these players then? My claims are mine, and confident in them.

the D for this season? Fine, if not above average. Problem is, good D and good F are not occurring simultaneously for the wolves.
If you’re asking my opinion on forwards, Stillman and this year’s picks look great. But again, there’s no high end D. There had to have been been one D taken with one of two seconds last year or 2nd this year as there was no 3rd pick in either year, imo.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
my idea of top pairing last season was top 2-3 of London, Flint, Petes, ‘67s, ... Wilde and Harley for sure. Imo, it takes that type of D corps to contend

M.Staal, D'Aversa, McQuaid

Semenov, Jancevski, Starling

type of D

Reactions: dirty12

cub

Apr 11, 2012
the D for this season? Fine, if not above average. Problem is, good D and good F are not occurring simultaneously for the wolves.
If you’re asking my opinion on forwards, Stillman and this year’s picks look great. But again, there’s no high end D. There had to have been been one D taken with one of two seconds last year or 2nd this year as there was no 3rd pick in either year, imo.

I agree with the synchronizing of the forwards and Defence, it will depend what comes back, what OA's we keep, what import's we draft, some of these gaps can be fix, so still too early. We do know pretty much on the D side of things. I say Thompson will be our high end D, maybe another acquisition of high end D possible down the road, depending where team sits in the standing.

I still think we can be a top team in the Central, I think key is Byfield if he returns. If he returns maybe get the pieces to build around him, but I think they should plan B if he doesn't.

Reactions: Pucks Deep

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
I agree with the synchronizing of the forwards and Defence, it will depend what comes back, what OA's we keep, what import's we draft, some of these gaps can be fix, so still too early. We do know pretty much on the D side of things. I say Thompson will be our high end D, maybe another acquisition of high end D possible down the road, depending where team sits in the standing.

I still think we can be a top team in the Central, I think key is Byfield if he returns. If he returns maybe get the pieces to build around him, but I think they should plan B if he doesn't.

So much hinges on Byfield

Wolves are living in three worlds

World without Byfield
World with Byfield
World of COVID-19

Reactions: Pucks Deep

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I suppose the wolves can drain remaining assets to be in the conversation with Miss & Barrie this season, but ... rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild, this time build a team with all of F, D, G

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Very few teams even have one Harley or Wilde

the contenders that don’t, have; Regula, Merkley, Phillips; or Chisholm, Paquette, Hudson; or Bahl, Hoefenmayer, Ohotynuk; or Tucker, Kolyachonok, McCourt, Lalonde, Busby ... all above average top 4 mostly aged 19-20

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
the contenders that don’t, have; Regula, Merkley, Phillips; or Chisholm, Paquette, Hudson; or Bahl, Hoefenmayer, Ohotynuk; or Tucker, Kolyachonok, McCourt, Lalonde, Busby ... all above average top 4 mostly aged 19-20
So let our D get to being 19-20. Do you remember Lalonde at 16? Busby's been injured for a long time before this year, they had no clue what they were going to have. Kolyachonok I wish we snagged from London, but you can draft an import D. Loponen is essentially a better McCourt at the same age (though Loponen won't be back). They traded for Tucker, we can do the same, actually 3/5ths of flints blue line were trades. Moral of the story here, we need assets to trade, and to believe in our guys.

I wish we had Bahl, but there's very few of him left (and I mean veryyyy few), Hoefenmayer is an elite offensive Dman but he cannot defend, and his skating is going to hold him back, but that said, with a guy like Bahl on my team, I'd love to have him. Okhotyuk is another import, and IMO Thompson is the better player at the same age. BUT, I will give you Ottawa, their blue line is unbelievably well built and balanced, with a good variety of ages. Moral here, good development is the key to having a good bkueline, and stockpiling good D lets you get good forwards and vice versa.

We don't have a Chisholm yet, but look at his numbers before the last two season, you don't know what. 15/16/even 17 year old kid will turn into. Paquette was a trade (twice) and isn't all that special especially for an OA, we can get one of those, lets say we get Peterborough to trade us Spearing is his OA year, there we go. Wilson... same story, was a trade and isn't that special, an OA Ribau would likely be the same. Moral of the story here, we need a Declan Chisholm (I agree to that), but we also need assets to trade to load up though I wouldn't spend exorbitantly on average OA D for the sake of having one.

If we want a Regula, we have to get Aucoin to report, London has pull we don't (except apparently this draft lol). Merkley was a head case we could have traded for but didn't. Phillips was an OA trade who would only report to London, I wish we could've had him but he wouldn't even play in the league if not or London. This is London pull at it's finest (to no fault of theirs) but again thats 2/3 were trades. A blue line is built through trades of assets you need stockpiled.

I will agree our blue line is not where it should be age wise, but we have sufficient assets to deal if we sell this season, and we have lots in house to be excited about. You aren't wrong about needing a monster blue line however we can build one through the import draft and well done trades.

I'm going to have some fun here and show people what our team could look like hypothetically if everyone would report and we made some big trades next season.

Murray to Oshawa for 2nd + 2nd + 3rd +conditional pick based on results and/or returning the next year... so less than the Pekar package still for a non import, above .5 GPG above 1.00 PPG, NHL drafted Center who'd excel in a position where he doesn't have to carry the load.

Byfield + Phillips to SSM for Holmes + Barker + 2nd +2nd + 3rd + 3rd... so less picks than the Robertson trade for the top player in the league and a likely NHL drafted D, but we get 2 top young guys back to replace and if they don't like it, we can send them to Oshawa, or Saginaw and get a boat load of picks and their young guys. But if you look at league rosters, there really weren't that many 03 D last year among likely contenders.

Ross to Saginaw for Mancini + 4th, so for cheap but we get an 03 D to make you happy, and a pick.

Serentis for 5th to anywhere.

Hutcheson to say Barrie for 3rd at deadline because I expect a big year.

Robinson anywhere for a 4th.

Samuelsson for a 5th at deadline because we need to open room.

Now, all of a sudden we're London and everyone reports:

Savage-McCallum-Stillman
Labelle-Manikis-Delic
Larmand-Goyette-Konyen
DeGrazia-Barker-Gillespie
Biondi/Burke/Mauro

Thompson-Holmes
Aucoin-Mancini
Anania-Ribau
Mitchell/Robinson/Collins

Lemaire
Weeks
Morrow/Ramirez

This is before we pick any imports, or make strictly buyer deals, or draft any 05s, or roster surprises a la Pilons or even Phillips, or u18 drafts which we actually do put emphasis on.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
And Dirty im not saying we're perfect or that we don't need D, just that there are possibilities and we need to let these boys develop because really that roster is pretty well positioned, even without Savage/Labelle/Aucoin or one of the guys I brought in in a trade. I'm also saying we have to sell, and sell right.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sure, sell lots to acquire D prospects that could/should have been drafted. It can be done. But the team is going to suck for a bit, and you are probably asking too much for the OAs in a very likely flooded market; and much too much for Byfield. (One) top 5 picked 16 yr old (Kujawinksi) has been traded that I’m aware of, you’re asking for two 1sts (one 4th overall) and picks?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad