Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'm excited to see him play, and rest of the rookies from last draft, I think it was our best draft as whole in a long time.

That NCDC league looks like a run and gun league with baaaad defence . Regardless good to see him playing somewhere

Reactions: cub

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
That NCDC league looks like a run and gun league with baaaad defence . Regardless good to see him playing somewhere

It may be, but it's also a league with a bunch of 18-19-20 year olds. Bodes well for him being able to handle the OHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Of topic question here . I have a couple of nephews in the Sudbury area one turning 7 and the other turning 9 this year who have been looking to get into hockey . Due to the cost of playing and the uncertainty with the pandemic, they did not play this year but I would like to help them get into the game for this coming winter, hopefully by then cases have dropped enough. I'm trying to start budgeting now to help them pay for registration , equipment etc and am wondering what is an approximate amount that I should be looking to put aside for the both of them?

Also , since they are just starting they shouldn't be starting at a competitive level, is there an advantage of choosing to register with Sudbury Minor Hockey Association vs Nickel Center Minor Hockey Association for example? Hoping someone can answer these questions as I've heard 5v5 hockey is returning to minor hockey in Sudbury and would love for them to get involved

Last edited:

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Of topic question here . I have a couple of nephews in the Sudbury area one turning 7 and the other turning 9 this year who have been looking to get into hockey . Due to the cost of playing and the uncertainty with the pandemic, they did not play this year but I would like to help them get into the game for this coming winter, hopefully by then cases have dropped enough. I'm trying to start budgeting now to help them pay for registration , equipment etc and am wondering what is an approximate amount that I should be looking to put aside for the both of them? Also , since they are just starting they shouldn't be starting at a competitive level, is there an advantage of choosing to register with Sudbury Minor Hockey Association vs Nickel Center Minor Hockey Association for example?
If you are registering for house league, which would be appropriate if they have never played, you must register for the town you live in. If you live in Garson, you register for Nickel Centre for example. You will have to check for the fees for the association you are registering for. They may have reduced rates for second children, but I remember it being around $700 a couple years ago. As far as equipment goes, you can probably find decent used stuff as the kids will grow fast. Get a good helmet and good skates- the rest you can go cheaper in my opinion. I’ve dealt with each of the equipment stores over the years- they are all knowledgeable and helpful. My kid played house, rep and high school over the years. It was a terrific experience for him.

Reactions: wings5

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If you are registering for house league, which would be appropriate if they have never played, you must register for the town you live in. If you live in Garson, you register for Nickel Centre for example. You will have to check for the fees for the association you are registering for. They may have reduced rates for second children, but I remember it being around $700 a couple years ago. As far as equipment goes, you can probably find decent used stuff as the kids will grow fast. Get a good helmet and good skates- the rest you can go cheaper in my opinion. I’ve dealt with each of the equipment stores over the years- they are all knowledgeable and helpful. My kid played house, rep and high school over the years. It was a terrific experience for him.

Makes sense that the associations are based on location , which is what I thought initially. Will have to check the equipment stores in the coming months . Registration price is high but it would be an invaluable experience for them to play. It's good that your kid got to play different levels over the years it really is invaluable experience, thanks !

Reactions: jamo27

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017
Makes sense that the associations are based on location , which is what I thought initially. Will have to check the equipment stores in the coming months . Registration price is high but it would be an invaluable experience for them to play. It's good that your kid got to play different levels over the years it really is invaluable experience, thanks !
I would also take a look at Sudbury Playground Hockey League SPHL.org. Great league, weekend games, all games indoor and a lot cheaper!

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Read on twitter yesterday that players are asked to return to the teams. The comment did say that players over seas cannot be forced to return to the OHL. I guess behind the scenes things are starting to heat up. How long of a season ( number of games) do you think they will have?
Think fans will be allowed or just scouts like the AHL?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
GM's meeting starting at 1pm today, quote on twitter says don't hold your breath.

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Watched Byfield play his last few games and he is starting to turn it on. Fourth in rookie scoring and could have a few more points with a little more luck. If the OHL starts back up, he is definitely coming back as their player development coach indicated that he is not coming up to NHL this year . That would be the only way he stays in the Kings organization and not return to the Wolves if the league started again. Byfield is not dominating, but he does not look out of place.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I have also watched a few games, Reign is not a very good team, agree he is not out of place but does not stand out at this point. Watching AHL and then NHL games is like night and day.

Reactions: Wisdom

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
The last place Byfield needs to be is in Sudbury, playing against a bunch of guys that will never play pro who haven't skated in a year. He should be in the AHL as long as he can and on the taxi squad in LA practicing with men.

Reactions: Wisdom

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
If the plan is to have the OHL return as strictly developmental with no playoffs, it makes absolutely zero sense to have QB return to Sudbury.

For one, QB would benefit better by developping in the A with players more of his caliber and actually playing meaningful games.

Two, if theres no playoffs and again the sole purpose of the OHL RTP is for the development of the leagues younger talent and draft eligible prospects, why would a team essentially waste a roster spot on a player that would be departing the club for pro next year anyway? Those spots would be more beneficial to a 16-18 y/o looking to crack the 21-22 roster.

Three, if the OHL returns its going to be without fans. So theres no real financial gain to have NHL drafted prospects (already playing in the A) return. Lets be honest if were going to buy any sort OHL video package this year, its not going to be because we want to watch QB light up in a pointless season but rather to see how our 2020 draftees fit in with our vets and get a sense of what the teams will look like going into the 2021-22 season.

In my opinion, the NHL draftees already playing the AHL should have the same choice, as those playing in europe to decide weather to report or not and maybe see the leagues agree on an amendment of the NHL-CHL agreement for the remainder of the 2020-21 season.

Reactions: WaW and Wisdom

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
If the plan is to have the OHL return as strictly developmental with no playoffs, it makes absolutely zero sense to have QB return to Sudbury.

For one, QB would benefit better by developping in the A with players more of his caliber and actually playing meaningful games.

Two, if theres no playoffs and again the sole purpose of the OHL RTP is for the development of the leagues younger talent and draft eligible prospects, why would a team essentially waste a roster spot on a player that would be departing the club for pro next year anyway? Those spots would be more beneficial to a 16-18 y/o looking to crack the 21-22 roster.

Three, if the OHL returns its going to be without fans. So theres no real financial gain to have NHL drafted prospects (already playing in the A) return. Lets be honest if were going to buy any sort OHL video package this year, its not going to be because we want to watch QB light up in a pointless season but rather to see how our 2020 draftees fit in with our vets and get a sense of what the teams will look like going into the 2021-22 season.

In my opinion, the NHL draftees already playing the AHL should have the same choice, as those playing in europe to decide weather to report or not and maybe see the leagues agree on an amendment of the NHL-CHL agreement for the remainder of the 2020-21 season.

Yeah, this. The thought of the AHL age rule being enforced this year, all things considered, kinda makes me sick. The entire mandate of the CHL is the notion that it is the top junior development league in the world. Quinton Byfield's best spot is without a doubt exactly where he is right now in the AHL, where he's finally looking comfortable and showing strides. The thought of pulling him back to the OHL for some rushed, compressed form of a "season" (or any 18/19 y/o excelling in the AHL, tbh) is nothing short of selfish and is an absolute farce.

There are no tickets to sell this year, so hopefully the NHL/AHL and CHL can come to some sort of rational understanding for this 2021 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad