Sudbury Wolves 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
God I hope Stortini's coaching philosophy doesn't echo his playing philosophy. I know alot of old-school fans at the rink like the 5 fights a game, when the head was a legal point of contact, and the when-open-ice-charging-was-clean style of play, but that doesn't win hockey games anymore, lol.

Alot of former grinders/tough guys make good progressive coaches though so I like it if Zack truly understands today's game. I'll certainly keep an open mind.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
God I hope Stortini's coaching philosophy doesn't echo his playing philosophy. I know alot of old-school fans at the rink like the 5 fights a game, when the head was a legal point of contact, and the when-open-ice-charging-was-clean style of play, but that doesn't win hockey games anymore, lol.

Alot of former grinders/tough guys make good progressive coaches though so I like it if Zack truly understands today's game. I'll certainly keep an open mind.

His playing philosophy was being the hardest working player on the ice every game, a great PK'er, as well as being a passable player (40 pts in 58 his last year). If he can instill the same work ethic in the team, this will be a great hire. Fighting has gone and moved on. Zach was a good community guy and has worn a letter a handful of times in his professional career.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Sorry to hear about Demeo stepping away from hockey, smart decision as a young man with his whole life ahead of him. I suffered for years from concussions due to playing hockey in my teen years... You don't know how it will effect you down the road. Nice to see the team being supportive of what is best for his health and quality of life, it's just a game.

He was a quality player and person while in the Soo. Best of luck to him.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Don't think he is coming. I think plan B is start the season with Weeks and see how he makes out, if he doesn't work out, somehow pick up a veteran goalie during course of season.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Did our gm and scouts have any conversations with our import picks prior to selecting them in the draft.If not, it was a huge mistake ,especially because it was common knowledge that the goaltender signed with the Swedish team 2 days prior to the draft.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Did our gm and scouts have any conversations with our import picks prior to selecting them in the draft.If not, it was a huge mistake ,especially because it was common knowledge that the goaltender signed with the Swedish team 2 days prior to the draft.

What I have read, Wolves organization were in conversation with his agent throughout the year has a possibly drafting him. I'm not 100 per cent but I think UPL was signed with a Finnish team but came over to the Wolves.

What I have learnt that a lot of these imports are a gamble because there is a lot options for them these days. If he doesn't come I'm not sure if its a mistake because you never really know the outcome. You would think Wolves success with UPL would make any import goalie come over, and maybe the organization believe they would be confident in bringing him over.

There is still some time, I haven't heard anything on our other import pick, Loponen, it be nice if we get him to come.

Reactions: WaW

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Craig Button is a joke. He has Byfield at #6 on his 2020 pre-season draft board. What's worse is Perfetti is at #4.

As if I needed another reason to not take this loser seriously. He has no clue what he is doing, despite his title being "Director of Scouting" at TSN.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Craig Button is a joke. He has Byfield at #6 on his 2020 pre-season draft board. What's worse is Perfetti is at #4.

As if I needed another reason to not take this loser seriously. He has no clue what he is doing, despite his title being "Director of Scouting" at TSN.
You read his article, he did his job. He's not there to provide good information, he's there to draw readers to his stuff.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
You read his article, he did his job. He's not there to provide good information, he's there to draw readers to his stuff.

Lol I definitely didn't read his article, in fact I didn't even click anything! TSN posted screenshots of his list on facebook. Just scrolled right through without a click, meaning zero ad revenue. If that's doing your job then I guess it's not doing it well. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: sbpointer

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
To be honest I can see Perfetti going over Byfield on draft day A La Mitch Marner type. I love Byfield but he and Perfetti will be fighting for the first drafted OHL spot it’s not automatically his.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Matthews, Laine scenario, Byfield the big centre or Perfetti the scoring left winger? I go with the centre every time.

Reactions: WaW

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Not saying I wouldn’t take Byfield because I would but it isn’t a slam dunk. Perfetti is a really good player who should cause some debate. I see Byfield going 3-7th.

Lafreniere
——————
Lundell
Raymond
Askarov
Byfield
Holtz
Perfetti
Lapierre
—————

Those are my tiers for the draft right now but the second tier isn’t in order and could very well go in any order.

Reactions: Finster8

member 236327

Why so negative, lol? There are so many other players in the World that are better suited for teams than Byfield. With the amount of quality centers in the league right now, teams are looking for Defence and Wingers. And I'm sure if the Wolves had of drafted Perfetti instead of Q, you would likely be happy with where he was ranked.

As for Storini, do some research on him as far as coaching goes, before spitting hot garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

member 236327

What I have read, Wolves organization were in conversation with his agent throughout the year has a possibly drafting him. I'm not 100 per cent but I think UPL was signed with a Finnish team but came over to the Wolves.

What I have learnt that a lot of these imports are a gamble because there is a lot options for them these days. If he doesn't come I'm not sure if its a mistake because you never really know the outcome. You would think Wolves success with UPL would make any import goalie come over, and maybe the organization believe they would be confident in bringing him over.

There is still some time, I haven't heard anything on our other import pick, Loponen, it be nice if we get him to come.
Correct, he was signed before the Wolves drafted him. Just because they sign with a team, it means nothing. They're at training camps right now. Plus, European contracts are easier to break than a Kit-Kat, so don't look to much into that. Plus, Sudbury has not been told he's not coming, so until the final word is out (like UPL), I'd imagine he would end up here.

Reactions: cub and WolvesFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad