Sudbury Wolves 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Dichow has updated his Twitter account with Sudbury Wolves in his description (along with Malmo Redhawks). Take it with a grain of salt, but can't be a bad thing..
Good sign IMO if hes just doing it now

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Dichow has updated his Twitter account with Sudbury Wolves in his description (along with Malmo Redhawks). Take it with a grain of salt, but can't be a bad thing..

Good find. Viewed it myself. To me it indicates he will likely be here in September.

Reactions: cub and dmo22

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

Anyone have insight into this kid and why we’d do this? Thought we’d have better younger options

Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I think this is a very good pickup. For a team looking to compete this year he'll be a good addition to the bottom 6.

This changes a few things with upcoming roster. You would think maybe now they will not keep all there OA's.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think this is a very good pickup. For a team looking to compete this year he'll be a good addition to the bottom 6.
I just hope nobody is gifted a spot this season, I want to see a competitive camp with some kids being given a real shot. But I’ll definitely be rooting for this kid now. I know he’s listed as a center but he’s a right shot I can’t help but think he’s going to play right wing.

Robinson-Byfield-Hutcheson
Carson-Murray-Stillman
Levin-Bulitka-Manikis
Larmand-McCallum-?
?/?
With the three question marks being a combination of:
Labelle
Butler
Biondi
McConville
DeGrazia
Tiveron
McAllister
That would have to be my guess at a lineup with what we have right now unless Savage shows or we get a surprise at camp. I think swapping Levin, Stratis and Gilhula for an OA D and a skill right winger would be the best option right now. We have a log jam of left handers. However I think that first line could really put up numbers as I’m expecting Hutcheson to score 30+ this year and Robinson is an assist machine if you look at number.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
This changes a few things with upcoming roster. You would think maybe now they will not keep all there OA's.
I think Levins going to go for a RW or Carson will be swapped for someone more skilled now. It’s going to be an exciting two weeks now.

Reactions: cub

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I think they're still easily keeping all three OAs. Any OA who would be an upgrade would be fairly pricey to obtain.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Anyone else want to take a stab at a roster? I know I favour youth but other people have different ideal lineups what’re people thinking. If I remember right @HockeyHell was pretty close last year after a big debate with me before camp.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I just hope nobody is gifted a spot this season, I want to see a competitive camp with some kids being given a real shot. But I’ll definitely be rooting for this kid now. I know he’s listed as a center but he’s a right shot I can’t help but think he’s going to play right wing.

Robinson-Byfield-Hutcheson
Carson-Murray-Stillman
Levin-Bulitka-Manikis
Larmand-McCallum-?
?/?
With the three question marks being a combination of:
Labelle
Butler
Biondi
McConville
DeGrazia
Tiveron
McAllister
That would have to be my guess at a lineup with what we have right now unless Savage shows or we get a surprise at camp. I think swapping Levin, Stratis and Gilhula for an OA D and a skill right winger would be the best option right now. We have a log jam of left handers. However I think that first line could really put up numbers as I’m expecting Hutcheson to score 30+ this year and Robinson is an assist machine if you look at number.

If stillman starts the season in the top 6 I'll be seriously disappointed. I also think Murray is a much better winger then a center.

Reactions: howlman

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If stillman starts the season in the top 6 I'll be seriously disappointed. I also think Murray is a much better winger then a center.
I have him there for a skill option until we obtain another RW. I’d rather have Murray at center but if we really wanted him at wing I’d line this up:
Hutcheson-Byfield-Murray
Carson-Bulitka-Levin
Robinson-Manikis-Stillman
Larmand-McCallum-Labelle

Reactions: howlman

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Of note, he had 104 PIM last season. Perhaps we’re trying to add more grit into our lineup this year

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I think they're still easily keeping all three OAs. Any OA who would be an upgrade would be fairly pricey to obtain.

Not sure if they can keep all OA due to alot of young kids coming up I think. We lost both Pilon's, Ruzicka I believe on forwards side, you would think Stillman, McCallum are a shoe in, so that is two spots filled.

Now Manikis will have a spot being a 2001 birth. So that is 3 spots filled from guys leaving last year roster.

You would have to think Gilhula, McConville, will be fighting for spots from younger kids.

It's possible to have Levin, Carson, and Butlika, if Wolves feel like they don't need to make room for younger kids, would think they will be also keeping Larmand, being a 2nd round pick. It will be a very competitive training camp.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Not sure if they can keep all OA due to alot of young kids coming up I think. We lost both Pilon's, Ruzicka I believe on forwards side, you would think Stillman, McCallum are a shoe in, so that is two spots filled.

Now Manikis will have a spot being a 2001 birth. So that is 3 spots filled from guys leaving last year roster.

You would have to think Gilhula, McConville, will be fighting for spots from younger kids.

It's possible to have Levin, Carson, and Butlika, if Wolves feel like they don't need to make room for younger kids, would think they will be also keeping Larmand, being a 2nd round pick. It will be a very competitive training camp.

Add in at least one of the 02's Labelle, Tiveron or Biondi. One of them should make this team. I expect a trade is coming. Nice to have some young depth options up front.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Add in at least one of the 02's Labelle, Tiveron or Biondi. One of them should make this team. I expect a trade is coming. Nice to have some young depth options up front.

Man, it sure is nice to feel like we have options. I have 7 returning forwards right now in our top 12 with us moving on from gilhula and McConville fighting to be an extra. There’s nothing wrong with rookies if they have the skill. Very excited for camp. Think Butler will be in there too

Reactions: Wisdom and cub

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I really like how this management is putting things together. They have a plan for now and the future. Building credibility. Well done.

Amen. It's good to see how many options we seem to have at Forward and Defense this year heading into camp. More players buying in, we won't be settling for anyone. Fantastic.

salming 21

Aug 8, 2019
It's not a bad thing, just don't put a ton of stock in it. Kids put it up on their twitter accounts as a badge of honour. His deal with Malmo is that he's also the number 3 goalie for the pro team in the superelite league. That likely carries a salary. Montreal would likely have to help sweeten the pot for him to play for Sudbury. Who knows, maybe they will. Personally I hate the idea of importing a goalie for a year or two. It doesn't help the development of Canadian goaltending at all and it does nothing for the Ontario goaltenders that do get drafted. If Sudbury do enough of this sort of thing then you won't get younger goalies to sign. Who the heck knows if any kids already in the system are any good if the never get any real playing time and how are they then supposed to get better? For skaters it's fine, you can start a forward on the 4th line and he at least gets some minutes every game, you can put a dman on the 4th pairing and he too gets some minutes every game. But sit a goalie on the bench and let him play every third week? fourth week? sit in the pressbox? Like i said, good luck getting kids to sign if you're going to keep importing a kid from Europe and giving him almost every game.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
It's not a bad thing, just don't put a ton of stock in it. Kids put it up on their twitter accounts as a badge of honour. His deal with Malmo is that he's also the number 3 goalie for the pro team in the superelite league. That likely carries a salary. Montreal would likely have to help sweeten the pot for him to play for Sudbury. Who knows, maybe they will. Personally I hate the idea of importing a goalie for a year or two. It doesn't help the development of Canadian goaltending at all and it does nothing for the Ontario goaltenders that do get drafted. If Sudbury do enough of this sort of thing then you won't get younger goalies to sign. Who the heck knows if any kids already in the system are any good if the never get any real playing time and how are they then supposed to get better? For skaters it's fine, you can start a forward on the 4th line and he at least gets some minutes every game, you can put a dman on the 4th pairing and he too gets some minutes every game. But sit a goalie on the bench and let him play every third week? fourth week? sit in the pressbox? Like i said, good luck getting kids to sign if you're going to keep importing a kid from Europe and giving him almost every game.

Move on old argument. I want my hockey team to have the best talent possible to win. Regardless of where their from or position they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad