Sudbury Wolves 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I really like how this management is putting things together. They have a plan for now and the future. Building credibility. Well done.

The depth has increased every year since Papineau has become the GM. The Wolves cut some pretty good forwards last year and will almost certainly cut/trade OHL calibre forwards this year. Now if Savage, Loponen, Aucoin and Dichow show up that will lead to a lot of decisions to be made

salming 21

Aug 8, 2019
Move on old argument. I want my hockey team to have the best talent possible to win. Regardless of where their from or position they play.
Well, if you like seeing the National team do well at the world juniors or the Hlinka etc. then you need to do a better job of developing goalies. We're losing opportunities for these kids to play meaningful hockey between the ages of 16 and 20. It's the difference between being a Wolves fan or a hockey fan. You're a Wolves fan. But it's not an argument that should be walked from if you like seeing Canada do well. Personally I don't like the import draft for any positions.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Well, if you like seeing the National team do well at the world juniors or the Hlinka etc. then you need to do a better job of developing goalies. We're losing opportunities for these kids to play meaningful hockey between the ages of 16 and 20. It's the difference between being a Wolves fan or a hockey fan. You're a Wolves fan. But it's not an argument that should be walked from if you like seeing Canada do well. Personally I don't like the import draft for any positions.
Easy there Don Cherry.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Anyone else want to take a stab at a roster? I know I favour youth but other people have different ideal lineups what’re people thinking. If I remember right @HockeyHell was pretty close last year after a big debate with me before camp.
Yes..I remember. I think if the organization thinks they can make a deep run then they load up on older players. Obviously we have spots to fill so there will be new faces. I would like an OA to be a defenseman but I am not sure who I would swap out. I would like both Euros to sign and then I would have a better feeling about things.

Reactions: hockeynorth

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
LOL that's fine, I've been called worse. It's just myopic if you like National team hockey, and I do.

Man. There are 60 CHL teams. We already saw what it was like with all of them having domestic goalies for years. More than half of them have zero professional futures. Some of them throw up miserable to downright embarrassing numbers. Look, there isn't a person here against the development of Canadian goalies, but there also isn't a single Canadian goalie in the CHL who has a serious professional future as well as a future as an elite Canadian netminder to the point where he's a national rep, who isn't getting a solid development opportunity at this level.

Weeks and Bowen already went through the NHL draft, and have had their chances at the major junior level to show what they can do. If Lemaire is good enough he will seize his opportunity and earn that development time. I'm sorry, but it's awfully naive to suggest there are Canadian goalies out there who have suffered the astronomical difference of not even playing major professional hockey when "if they had a shot" in the OHL they would have become elite team Canada calibre players.

Any Canadian goalie good enough and worth developing for the future of Canada's national team and representation at the NHL level is getting his shot in the CHL.

It's a hard truth, but a truth nonetheless.

member 236327

Canada had arguably the best ranked goalie prospect at the Tournament (Dipietro).. How did that work out for us?

Reactions: cub

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Malik is not reporting to the Soo, so there wont likely be a trade that involves a goalie there. Propp is likely going to stay.
You speak as if they are facts, but neither of those "facts" are confirmed, in fact both have legitimate reason to doubt.

Reactions: justawolfan

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

*checks username*

"Isn't it ironic, don't you think?" - A. Morissette

Reactions: dmo22

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
He probably knew he was a longshot to crack the lineup. Remember, he was a 10th round pick

Doesn't always matter where you're drafted if you have the skill, late bloomer (see Pouliot, Leivo)

Labelle is a highly skilled, fast and intelligent player. Thought the Wolves had another steal here in the 10th round, and I think he could have made this team this year as one of the 02's, and beat out guys like Gilhula, Butler etc.

Never say never though, as seen recently with Manikis. We could see Labelle in the future.

Reactions: hockeynorth

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Forward lines will be interesting.

We know Byfield will be on the top line. Last season Byfield seen guys play on his line such as Carson, Murray, Hutcheson, Gilhula. Will be interesting to see what combo Stillman goes with. I think Murray will be on Byfield's line, Murray has a deadly one timer on his off wing and can get his shot off quickly. Byfield will be feeding him all season long. 40 goals isn't out of the question for Murray playing with someone as good as Byfield.

2nd line I feel Stillman will go back with the combo of Robinson, Bulitka, Levin. This was a solid line last season once they were put together and showed good chemistry, but Levin got injured, and Ruzicka slid into his spot on this line.

Manikis should be solid on the third line and show what he's made of, with a combo of two of Carson, Hutcheson or Gilhula.

Rounding out the lines could be the rookie line with Larmand, McCallum, Stillman. Maybe they keep McConville as a grinder and sub in and out Larmand.

Lets hope we have a surprise or two at camp up front, and who knows maybe even a trade or two to improve things or make space.

Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad