Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If your Paps, why wouldn't you overvalue McCullum and Phillips? The market is moving really slowly. You don't have a lot of assets to work with. You have to make them count if your going to trade them. Nothing wrong with that IMO. I feel like sellers have more to lose then buyers. Until you get outbid by someone why overpay? Teams circle back to try to get more from teams. Everyone always wants more. Best not to panic and overpay.

My sentiments exactly.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Score more goals than your goalie lets in. Not a winning formula going into the playoffs.... Scoring is not the issue...…. Goals against are.
Exactly ...but it is better to get rid of one of the top defensive forwards then to repair the back end. I only agree with trading a top 4 forward if you are getting a defenseman or a goalie. Otherwise it is the stupidest thing I have heard of to date.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Then why bring it up? You can criticize the organization as much as you want though? GM'sare obviously doing this with people if your getting this info. You're suggesting that Wolves regulars are Junior B players, and that it's common knowledge. I think you need to back that up!

Listen, I don't think names are productive when it comes to this topic. I did not say these guys are Jr B players, you did. What I said is that there are a couple of players that many GMs feel that are on THIS team that shouldn't be in the league. If someone looks at the team it wouldn't be very difficult to figure out who these players are.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
What a funny farm! Some butting of heads taking place in Wolves land. No one to blame here other than the GM. Sat on his hands for 8 months when you have Byfield, Murray, Levin, McCallum and Stratis as first rounders still with the team. When you have serviceable first rounders their should be no reason that your supporting cast should be in place. And at the deadline you should be able to make the moves necessary to put you over the top. Something seriously wrong with the vision and planning. Was it last minute planning or no planning at all? Just a complete joke.

WJ

I disagree... You're set on your opinion and that's fine. The team hasn't played well despite these first rounders. You can blame Stillman for not developing team defence to a more appropriate level of play. You can't blame poor play on Paps. You're almost admitting that the roster is pretty good and the team should be playing better. That's not on the GM. The goaltending situation is. There was no reason to panic and trade away all your assets before the deadline. Then you have nothing left to move. Plus didn't the freeze on trading 1st round picks just open up?

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Listen, I don't think names are productive when it comes to this topic. I did not say these guys are Jr B players, you did. What I said is that there are a couple of players that many GMs feel that are on THIS team that shouldn't be in the league. If someone looks at the team it wouldn't be very difficult to figure out who these players are.

If they don't belong in this league where do they belong? Hmm... Sorry for just logically going down a level.

What was productive about making the comment originally? Only to create gossip. You created this topic of conversation, not me. You opened it up. Enough with the BS comment and backtracking once someone calls you out on it for the sake of the kids. You've been saying how bad this team is and they have no chance of winning for weeks. How is saying they don't belong in the league any different?

Reactions: Iloveallsports

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Exactly ...but it is better to get rid of one of the top defensive forwards then to repair the back end. I only agree with trading a top 4 forward if you are getting a defenseman or a goalie. Otherwise it is the stupidest thing I have heard of to date.

Precisely what I was trying to point out! Makes no sense to take away a top defensive forward that is always on the PK and wins faceoffs for no defensive replacement.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Precisely what I was trying to point out! Makes no sense to take away a top defensive forward that is always on the PK and wins faceoffs for no defensive replacement.

Make sense if it's Lodnia, strong RW and can play 1st line. He got 6 points alone vs NB last night. It would be a total upgrade.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Make sense if it's Lodnia, strong RW and can play 1st line. He got 6 points alone vs NB last night. It would be a total upgrade.

for sure! I’d rather keep Bulitka then Carson though... but that’s just my opinion.

hope I didn’t hurt Carson’s feelings there

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
And does he go back and stop the puck from going in the net because that is the problem. I dont see how you address the issue which is getting scored on with ease by getting rid of your best defensive forward. Unless you are saying that the other less productive players are more valuable. Or is it no one else has any trade value. I just can't wrap my head around this logic.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
You forgot Hayton in the deal.. I call bull sh jondeer
It's funny that noone seems to like a deal that addresses your biggest needs, a goalie and shutdown dman. Yes McCallum is a big price but one deal addresses two needs. Everyone seems to want to use that chip on Lodnia, a goal scorer, when your biggest need is the back end. Kooy has shown nothing. You want to gamble there?
Everyone has a right to there own opinions and I respect that. The above is my opinion.

Reactions: HockeyHell

cub

Apr 11, 2012
And does he go back and stop the puck from going in the net because that is the problem.

So you take Butlika vs Lodnia?

I know your a big Butlika fan, I like him but very expendable, when you're not even in top 50 in scoring playing top 6 minutes, 1st PP.

He has the opportunity to carry team since Byfield has been gone, he has 2 points in last 6 games. Also been a minus player during this time.

If Lodnia vs Bulitka no brainer. Lodnia even has a better +/-, he is also a drafted 3rd rounder in the NHL from Minnesota. So I think it's easy answer to your question.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017

I know your a big Butlika fan, I like him but very expendable, when you're not even in top 50 in scoring playing top 6 minutes, 1st PP.

He has the opportunity to carry team since Byfield has been gone, he has 2 points in last 6 games. Also been a minus player during this time.

If Lodnia vs Bulitka no brainer. Lodnia even has a better +/-, he is also a drafted 3rd rounder in the NHL from Minnesota. So I think it's easy answer to your question.
Are you simple.. that trade does nothing to address the problem..getting scored on.. I do like Bulitka and any intelligent hockey fan would. I can spell his name as well. Make that trade after you have addressed the need. Otherwise you are simply stringing fans along because you didn't do what needed to be addressed since last year. Is Bulitka more or less valuable than Gilhula, Hutcheson?
If he gets us some top rated D and a goalie then he can do whatever else he wants otherwise I think this makes zero sense. But I am not the GM and I have not agreed with a lot of what has happened over the last 10 years so why change the pattern.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
It's funny that noone seems to like a deal that addresses your biggest needs, a goalie and shutdown dman. Yes McCallum is a big price but one deal addresses two needs. Everyone seems to want to use that chip on Lodnia, a goal scorer, when your biggest need is the back end. Kooy has shown nothing. You want to gamble there?
Everyone has a right to there own opinions and I respect that. The above is my opinion.

it's obvious we need some secondary scoring since Byfield has been gone to WJC too. Wolves have gone dry in last 5 games, no one is really stepping up. So this is a piece we need as well. We were in play for Jenik so it is not something should be a surprise to anyone.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Are you simple.. that trade does nothing to address the problem..getting scored on.. I do like Bulitka and any intelligent hockey fan would. I can spell his name as well. Make that trade after you have addressed the need. Otherwise you are simply stringing fans along because you didn't do what needed to be addressed since last year.
If he gets us some top rated D and a goalie then he can do whatever else he wants.

I spelled Butlika for you and only you. Keep ducking the question.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If your Paps, why wouldn't you overvalue McCullum and Phillips? The market is moving really slowly. You don't have a lot of assets to work with. You have to make them count if your going to trade them. Nothing wrong with that IMO. I feel like sellers have more to lose then buyers. Until you get outbid by someone why overpay? Teams circle back to try to get more from teams. Everyone always wants more. Best not to panic and overpay.

I know that I would never circle back to an insulting low ball offer. It’s one thing to ask for a little more or less than set standards if you sense a change in the market; but insult someone with an offer, you will never, ever win a similar bid/ask with that person again

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

fair enough, the wolves need D & G; but, a Birkyn & LeGuerrier package is not worth the impact of Lodinia imo. And, Lodinia costs something like 2,3,3,5 not a 16 yr old 1st.

Reactions: hockeynorth

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I know that I would never circle back to an insulting low ball offer. It’s one thing to ask for a little more or less than set standards if you sense a change in the market; but insult someone with an offer, you will never, ever win a similar bid/ask with that person again

I agree but I think this is all rumour anyway. That’s what I think is happening. All of a sudden a rumour comes out that Paps holds his players with too much value? I think someone floated that in an attempt to fleece us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiserbud

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

In all honesty, did anybody think Bulitka was going to score the bulk of our goals while Q was away? Really? He's always been a support guy or playmaker on offence more than a sniper. He filled that role last year as well when we had the disruptor twins as OAs.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I agree but I think this is all rumour anyway. That’s what I think is happening. All of a sudden a rumour comes out that Paps holds his players with too much value? I think someone floated that in an attempt to fleece us.

It's all garbage, if anyone knows anything about negotiations.

Reactions: Wiserbud

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
no its pretty accurate there's multiple people hearing that, but all teams overvalue their players or else no one would ever make a "fair trade"

cub

Apr 11, 2012
In all honesty, did anybody think Bulitka was going to score the bulk of our goals while Q was away? Really? He's always been a support guy or playmaker on offence more than a sniper. He filled that role last year as well when we had the disruptors as OAs.

For one I thought his numbers would be considerably higher, and yes I expected him and others to carry the slack when Byfield was gone. The question was would you replace Lodnia as a OA vs Bulitka, how can you say it is not upgrade? I like Bulitka and he is a class act but if that's on the table, it's a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad