Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
The Carson? Walker fight was going to happen regardless. That was discussed all last game. The reason Walker assassinated Serentsis last game as NOBODY stood up and answered the bell when it rang. Walker has been a thorn in the Wolves side for three years. When Walker hit that guy last year from behind, who stood up? It was not either Pilon, it was Carson. This fight sent a message to Walker, it was a 0-0 game and didn't hurt the Wolves. This fight didn't lead to 7 Oshawa goals. IMO opinion, Carson did his job and was pretty much the only guy that did anything yesterday.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I figured it out Hockey Hell=jwu. I'm sure it helped being on National TV but they would have fought anyways, so not sure why you won't let it go. They fought it was good bout, big deal. Yes they got spanked on National TV, let's see how they bounce back.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Barrie 5 games in hand on the Wolves. Wolves with 4 point lead. Wolves need to come out fired up on Friday against Barrie with a full team effort, something we haven't been able to do consistently all season long. We get spurts here and there, but nothing we can sustain. Many inconsistencies have plagued this team to mediocrity so far this season, mostly brutal goaltending and poor team defense. Wolves are becoming stagnant and need a trade or two to shake things up and light a spark under this group. Bringing in another goalie is needed as well. Paps will have to pay up to get a goalie upgrade as teams will know he's desperate, unless he can find a free agent goalie gem somewhere. Not sure who the answer is or where Paps can find the answer, but it's his job to do so lol. We all want a winner and want to see Paps make some moves to strengthen this team. I expect we will see a transaction happen this week before our game against Barrie.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
I didn't see any of the games this weekend. What's the issue with this team right now? If the issue is goaltending, and if there are no options available to upgrade, I really don't see anything good moving forward this season. Maybe we need to sell...

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
As we stand now I believe we are good enough to get by the first round of the playoffs if we can finish top three. After that we would be at a major disadvantage. To challenge for a conference title would mean adding major pieces and I don't see enough assets to fill that many holes. Dichow not reporting and Purboo not living up to the form for what we gave up is too much of a hole to climb out of. To be sellers could put the team in a great position next year but the BIG if is of coarse Byfield returning. It is a role of the dice, is it worth taking? who knows.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Try and Win now. IF he comes back sell him for a boatload of assets. Simple stuff.

Selling is not that simple. There needs to be a serious buyer. What buyers will want is most likely Byfield, Thompson, Phillips, Stillman and the like. There isn’t much interest in other players. Picks help but buyers want bodies and sometimes GMs don’t want to give them up. If there is a “sell” mentality that arises, then Byfield will most likely be the guy everyone wants. A legit contender getting a player like him can be the difference between the OHL championship and winning a Mem cup. The wolves are not close to being either. What’s is the purpose of buying when your in a weak division and aren’t winning where you are? This team has more issues then last most think. The goalie last year made an average team a lot better than they were.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Selling is not that simple. There needs to be a serious buyer. What buyers will want is most likely Byfield, Thompson, Phillips, Stillman and the like. There isn’t much interest in other players. Picks help but buyers want bodies and sometimes GMs don’t want to give them up. If there is a “sell” mentality that arises, then Byfield will most likely be the guy everyone wants. A legit contender getting a player like him can be the difference between the OHL championship and winning a Mem cup. The wolves are not close to being either. What’s is the purpose of buying when your in a weak division and aren’t winning where you are? This team has more issues then last most think. The goalie last year made an average team a lot better than they were.

So if not this year how long before we do go for it? All I know is Papineau is in year 3-4 and the rebuild process should be complete. Not sure where the Wolves go after this season if it’s not a deep run cause I don’t see it happening next year that’s for sure.

WJ

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
As we stand now I believe we are good enough to get by the first round of the playoffs if we can finish top three.
It's looking like the only way a Central team finishes top 3 this season is by winning their division.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
There are ways to improve your team that doesn’t include trading bodies and picks. FAs are sometimes the way to do that. Also, cutting your loses with some of your drafted players is necessary. Protecting them and using them because a school package is involved can be detrimental for the team. There are several teams in the Q that will not hesitate trying FAs at all. Some work out, some don’t. And equally they will release a player school package or not.

The head scratcher for me was the goalie situation. The WHL released 3 starting goalies, why did the Wolves not look at them? It didn’t take London long to do so. This is why they are always strong.

There is no magic pill to solve things, but panicking in November is not wise. I’ve stated before that I would start with addressing the back up issue, what ever that looks like is the question. But right, Stillman is being put in a difficult situation with not being able to change goalies CONFIDENTLY. Fix that first and that helps Purboo with confidence. It’s nice to know that if you have a bad day, they team can make the switch and feel comfortable that there is an optimistic chance to win. If not, Purboo will play not to get pulled which will inhibit his game and the way that he should be playing.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
For anyone still thinking Samuelson is an OHL player, this is worth a watch.

I feel real bad for Thompson having to play with him.

Reactions: hockieguy

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

The head scratcher for me was the goalie situation. The WHL released 3 starting goalies, why did the Wolves not look at them? It didn’t take London long to do so. This is why they are always strong.
London traded for the WHL goalie with Sarnia and the others were picked up on waivers due to there Standings(lowest to highest)

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
For anyone still thinking Samuelson is an OHL player, this is worth a watch.

I feel real bad for Thompson having to play with him.

I've mentioned this. Nobody knows more than Adam his struggles. I believe we will hear something regarding his future with the wolves

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
London traded for the WHL goalie with Sarnia and the others were picked up on waivers due to there Standings(lowest to highest)
Not really. Kingston picked up Byrkin on waivers and the Hounds traded for him. Sudbury could have done this.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
exactly what Naz said, 0-7 Sarnia claimed Myskiw. Later, last place Kingston claimed Byrkin

Not really. Kingston picked up Byrkin on waivers and the Hounds traded for him. Sudbury could have done this.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
exactly what Naz said, 0-7 Sarnia claimed Myskiw. Later, last place Kingston claimed Byrkin
So he was available to Sudbury too as much as he was available to the Soo if Sudbury chose to plan a way to trade for him from Kingston like the Soo did. It was made to Sound like Sudbury had no chance to get Byrkin.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
So he was available to Sudbury too as much as he was available to the Soo if Sudbury chose to plan a way to trade for him from Kingston like the Soo did. It was made to Sound like Sudbury had no chance to get Byrkin.

I don't understand how Propp didn't work out in the SOO? I thought it was good pick up for the SOO, now he is playing well in Kingston. strange

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
There are ways to improve your team that doesn’t include trading bodies and picks. FAs are sometimes the way to do that. Also, cutting your loses with some of your drafted players is necessary. Protecting them and using them because a school package is involved can be detrimental for the team. There are several teams in the Q that will not hesitate trying FAs at all. Some work out, some don’t. And equally they will release a player school package or not.

There is no magic pill to solve things, but panicking in November is not wise. I’ve stated before that I would start with addressing the back up issue, what ever that looks like is the question. But right, Stillman is being put in a difficult situation with not being able to change goalies CONFIDENTLY. Fix that first and that helps Purboo with confidence. It’s nice to know that if you have a bad day, they team can make the switch and feel comfortable that there is an optimistic chance to win. If not, Purboo will play not to get pulled which will inhibit his game and the way that he should be playing.

Tell me which OA sits and/or gets traded?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Wonder if a message will be sent to Clarke Friday against Barrie for his cheap shot on Byfield last game. How do you send it considering he is only a rookie?Possible assignment for McCallum? What do you think?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Wonder if a message will be sent to Clarke Friday against Barrie for his cheap shot on Byfield last game. How do you send it considering he is only a rookie?Possible assignment for McCallum? What do you think?
I think the "assignment" days are gone mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad