Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Twitter :

We talked to Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen between sessions. Says he’s much more comfortable this year than last summer. Will let #Sabres and agent decide between Finland/Sudbury for next year. #Sabres

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Training camp is honestly the single most exciting event for me every year. I look forward to seeing how much players have improved in the offseason. For that reason I'm not ready to write anyone off. For fun though the following players are the ones I expect to be in the mix for roster slots in no particular order.
Positions based on ohl/eliteprospects

Center: Bulitka, Gilhula, Murray, Siau, Byfield, Butler
LW:Carson, Hutcheson, Tabak, Darian Pilon, David Levin, Lewis
RW:Baker, McConville, Drake Pilon, Nizhnikov, Bowie

D: Stratis, Serensits, Candella, Ross, Malik, Ribau, Aucoin, Thompson, Philips

G: McGrath, Frappier, Bowen, Lukkonen, Lemaire

* Madden, Manikis, Emberson, Samuelsson would all be included if not for NCAA commitments

I think there's enough depth that we'll see a real competitive training camp this year. Just for fun, if we don't see any of the NCAA commits I could see a lineup resembling the following.

Levin - Byfield - Nizhnikov
Pilon - Murray - Pilon
Carson - Bulitka - Tabak
Hutcheson - Butler -Baker
Bowie, McConville

Ross - Stratis
Serensits - Candella
Malik - Thompson
Philips

Lukkonen
Frappier
Lemaire(nearby in Jr. A ideally)

All fun being an armchair GM but i'm sure we'll see more stuff moving around before camp or shortly there after.

I like it, are we moving McGrath? don't see him on list.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Only reason I'm throwing it out there is I think the combination Byfields speed, and Levin's passing and hands could really open up the ice.

True. But Levin's so poor defensively is be concerned. Good points though you've made DJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
True. But Levin's so poor defensively is be concerned. Good points though you've made DJ
I honestly think Levin's defensive concerns are overblown. He can be a trainwreck in the neutral zone, but in the defensive zone he competes pretty hard and tends to play relatively well. The giveaways on the breakout and in the offensive zone are more of the worry.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
Would be interested to go back and see all the negative posts about drafting Bowen and that it was just a favour and was waste of a pick. Some are so quick to be nagative and now he is on the shortlist to be a backup.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
We need a second goalie pretty bad. Fraser needs work but McGrath is far from perfect as well... both players could use a change.
I'd be on board with the acquisition however I don't know how much, if any, of an improvement he will be on Candella, which is what we really need. On the flip side, he had been trending really nicely until this season where it looks as if he had a bit of bad luck, at least numbers wise. If he could bounce back that could be a steal, if not, we could have yet another 5/6 D.

Another thing to note, I didn't realize Sokolov finished 5th in league scoring, well done to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad