Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I'm with Wolfman Jack, my bet Papineau made sure he is coming, the best way to build a team from the net out in my opinion. I believe the Wolves lost 17 games by one goal, good goaltending can recoup minimum half of those losses.

Good call on the tender cubby. Exactly what the wolves need. Oh boy, this year is gonna be Interesting!

Reactions: cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
You do realize he already signed his contract with Buffalo. Not trying to be negative but I can see where DJ is coming from. Why not take a guy that can help you for two seasons. In all likelihood we have a better chance next year then this year.

The wolves needed to make a statement within the division and send the message to the players that this is about winning! I believe they accomplished that today.

Last edited:

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I’ll believe it when I see it. The wolves have had a sad history (other then Sokolov) when it comes to import picks reporting. Sabres could easily place him in the AHL.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
The wolves needed to make a statement within the division and send the message to the players that this is about winning! I believe they accomplished that today.

"Statements to the division" are great until (at best case) he comes for 1 year and then when SBY is ready to do something real in 2 years and suddenly they have no goalie and didn't get any goalie development because the guy who played all the games is now in the AHL

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
"Statements to the division" are great until (at best case) he comes for 1 year and then
Thwhen SBY is ready to do something real in 2 years and suddenly they have no goalie and didn't get any goalie development because the guy who played all the games is now in the AHL[/QUOTE

Glad your not running the Wolves.
The wolves NEED to make the playoffs and get this franchise turned around. They need to win now. Lots of time to worry about a goalie for the future.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I’ll believe it when I see it. The wolves have had a sad history (other then Sokolov) when it comes to import picks reporting. Sabres could easily place him in the AHL.
Sabres are now the front runner for Hutton, which adds another goalie to the system. In my opinion he will come here, and we will be better for it. However, I'm curious who will back him up, McGrath, Frappier or Bowen. The thing is that in my opinion we should have Lemaire up after the deadline at the latest for a few games also, so that we can give him big time minutes. I think our crease just got a lot more interesting for sure. If we thought Culina had an impact on this team well wait till Luokkonen (can we find something else to call him? Lucky?) is in the net.

I think I'm more excited for this season then any in recent memory. Murray and Byfield as a one two punch keeps making me excited, and we have some interesting pieces on the back end as well in Ross, Thompson, and a healthy Malik and Stratis. I feel we need one more piece on the backend, and we could be a solid team, especially with Luokkonen in net.

Hutcheson-Murray-Nizhnikov
Carson-Byfield-Butler
Tabak-Levin-Gilhula
Pilon-Bulitka-Pilon

Candella-Ross
Stratis-Malik
Thompson-Serentis

Luokkonen
McGrath

I don't mind that, I don't love Candella on the first pair and I'd like to see us target another good winger and I think we'd be in great shape, that centre depth is amazing, but if we move Levin to the wing then there's a big hole. I'd like to see us go for Webb on D and Rickard Hugg up front, he'd be a great 3C or winger, and I know his numbers aren't pretty but he also had terrible shooting luck based off SH%. Another player with a really really bad percentage is our very own 1RW Nizhnikov, who was so unsustainably low that I would put money on him doubling, if not tripling his goal totals next season and ending up right around or above a PPG. I want us to go after more players who had some bad luck and try to prop them up, because it seems like its not done often in the O.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
"Statements to the division" are great until (at best case) he comes for 1 year and then when SBY is ready to do something real in 2 years and suddenly they have no goalie and didn't get any goalie development because the guy who played all the games is now in the AHL
This is why I want Lemaire to get in games this season.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Where is all this worry about Buffalo throwing him in the AHL coming from, lol?

19 year old goalies arent really AHL material, which is why you only see them there once in a blue moon. Junior is the perfect place for him. He'll report

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Sabres are now the front runner for Hutton, which adds another goalie to the system. In my opinion he will come here, and we will be better for it. However, I'm curious who will back him up, McGrath, Frappier or Bowen. The thing is that in my opinion we should have Lemaire up after the deadline at the latest for a few games also, so that we can give him big time minutes. I think our crease just got a lot more interesting for sure. If we thought Culina had an impact on this team well wait till Luokkonen (can we find something else to call him? Lucky?) is in the net.

I think I'm more excited for this season then any in recent memory. Murray and Byfield as a one two punch keeps making me excited, and we have some interesting pieces on the back end as well in Ross, Thompson, and a healthy Malik and Stratis. I feel we need one more piece on the backend, and we could be a solid team, especially with Luokkonen in net.

Carson-Byfield-Butler
Tabak-Levin-Gilhula
Pilon-Bulitka-Pilon

Candella-Ross
Stratis-Malik
Thompson-Serentis

Luokkonen
McGrath

I don't mind that, I don't love Candella on the first pair and I'd like to see us target another good winger and I think we'd be in great shape, that centre depth is amazing, but if we move Levin to the wing then there's a big hole. I'd like to see us go for Webb on D and Rickard Hugg up front, he'd be a great 3C or winger, and I know his numbers aren't pretty but he also had terrible shooting luck based off SH%. Another player with a really really bad percentage is our very own 1RW Nizhnikov, who was so unsustainably low that I would put money on him doubling, if not tripling his goal totals next season and ending up right around or above a PPG. I want us to go after more players who had some bad luck and try to prop them up, because it seems like its not done often in the O.

Good job but there will be further tweaks with this roster.

Their high on Kyle Aucoin.

Northey

Mar 10, 2018

Carson-Byfield-Butler
Tabak-Levin-Gilhula
Pilon-Bulitka-Pilon

Candella-Ross
Stratis-Malik
Thompson-Serentis

Luokkonen
McGrath

Mcgrath will not stay as a back up.
There will be fwds moved to make the defence better.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Wolves, Firebirds, Petes, ... all passed on Rossi because he was not an option for them. Kuukkonen might be the wolves best player this season; and replacing him with a good vet G next season won’t be too difficult now that import G are allowed again.
So, Kuukkonen is a good pick, imo.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Where is all this worry about Buffalo throwing him in the AHL coming from, lol?

19 year old goalies arent really AHL material, which is why you only see them there once in a blue moon. Junior is the perfect place for him. He'll report

Contract in Finland and signed by Buffalo who has options in placing him. Another high import draft guess. Wolves have poor history. Filatov, Kondelik ring a bell? I don’t know if I would want to play behind that defense if Im a player with choices.

I hope he reports but I would like something more concrete in place

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Contract in Finland and signed by Buffalo who has options in placing him. Another high import draft guess. Wolves have poor history. Filatov, Kondelik ring a bell? I don’t know if I would want to play behind that defense if Im a player with choices.

I hope he reports but I would like something more concrete in place

He's the #3 goalie on his Finnish Team and IF they stuck him in the A, which is unlikely because again, 19 year old goalies get LIT UP in the A, he'd only be the 2/3 choice there as well.

Junior is his best shot at regular game time. I'm not that worried about him reporting, as I think Papineau and the crew did their homework this time.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

Then we trade for one or we draft another import! Why does it always have to be doom and gloom. More optimism people. Its better than drafting someone at number #1 who played in the USHL. Trust Papineau he is out there working his tail off. Scouts a lot more than any other GM we have had and wants to ice a winning team. The ownership group needs to have a winning product especially with a new arena on the horizon. At least this statement is a lot better than drafting duds. And already having Byfield, Thompson added to the mix will only make things that much more appealing for scouts and players to report. Give the team a chance to right its ship of the Burgess debacle that set them back 5 years of hockey development/scouting, drafting, players reporting etc..

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

Carson-Byfield-Butler
Tabak-Levin-Gilhula
Pilon-Bulitka-Pilon

Candella-Ross
Stratis-Malik
Thompson-Serentis

Luokkonen
McGrath

It will be a very interesting battle for positions come this spring and I think the Wolves will make some moves to make space for some younger bodies and replace voids left from Rhodes and Blaisdell. If we could get one more seasoned vet on the right side and on defence this team will be on the verge of a major breakthrough this season. As it stands I think the line up will shape up into something like this,

Pilon Murray Pilon
Carson Byfield Nizhnikov
Hutchison Levin Baker
Tabek Bulitka McConville

Levi and Gilhula will be hard pressed to find a spot on this roster. As well I believe Hutchison or Baker may be players looking to add in a summer deal to bolster the defence. But last year pick Bowie and our 3rd pick this year in Butler may make the roster as well. Robinson will need to really come out strong in training camp if he were to get any long looks. A solid right winger could help round out the line up but I don't see it happening right away. The focus will now shift to our defence.

Ross Stratis
Candella Thompson
Malik Serentis

I think Ribeau may find a place on the team in the 7th spot but Aucoin and last year picks Wawrow and Phillips could factor in as well. Look for Sudbury to start with 8 and make a deal to land a seasoned vet. Now if Samulsson or Emberson come into play in anyway this could present a huge shift in the Wolves dilemma.

WJ

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Wolfman Jack, you're on fire, keep it up, enjoy reading you're post.
I agree with cub, your posts have been great WJ.

It will be a very interesting battle for positions come this spring and I think the Wolves will make some moves to make space for some younger bodies and replace voids left from Rhodes and Blaisdell. If we could get one more seasoned vet on the right side and on defence this team will be on the verge of a major breakthrough this season. As it stands I think the line up will shape up into something like this,

Pilon Murray Pilon
Carson Byfield Nizhnikov
Hutchison Levin Baker
Tabek Bulitka McConville

Levi and Gilhula will be hard pressed to find a spot on this roster. As well I believe Hutchison or Baker may be players looking to add in a summer deal to bolster the defence. But last year pick Bowie and our 3rd pick this year in Butler may make the roster as well. Robinson will need to really come out strong in training camp if he were to get any long looks. A solid right winger could help round out the line up but I don't see it happening right away. The focus will now shift to our defence.

Ross Stratis
Candella Thompson
Malik Serentis

I think Ribeau may find a place on the team in the 7th spot but Aucoin and last year picks Wawrow and Phillips could factor in as well. Look for Sudbury to start with 8 and make a deal to land a seasoned vet. Now if Samulsson or Emberson come into play in anyway this could present a huge shift in the Wolves dilemma.

WJ
I forgot we had Bowie too, I'm so pumped for camp. There are so many players that will make a push but I really believe we will see Butler in the lineup on the right side. My trade fodder would be McConville, Baker, Gilhula, and Levin up front. I feel like Hutcheson could be the perfect net front player on one PP unit with Tabak on the other so that guys like Murray, Niz and Byfield can have a good screen set up. I think that was missing badly last year. I feel as though we're going to see a big move somewhere in the lineup that would really set us up well for success. I'd love to see us add another sniper however they are hard to find which is why I'm hoping that Niz can even hit league average shooting percentage (he should, players don't shoot sub 5% forever) but I think we might see someone come in a little bit as a shock and really be a scorer.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I agree with cub, your posts have been great WJ.

I forgot we had Bowie too, I'm so pumped for camp. There are so many players that will make a push but I really believe we will see Butler in the lineup on the right side. My trade fodder would be McConville, Baker, Gilhula, and Levin up front. I feel like Hutcheson could be the perfect net front player on one PP unit with Tabak on the other so that guys like Murray, Niz and Byfield can have a good screen set up. I think that was missing badly last year. I feel as though we're going to see a big move somewhere in the lineup that would really set us up well for success. I'd love to see us add another sniper however they are hard to find which is why I'm hoping that Niz can even hit league average shooting percentage (he should, players don't shoot sub 5% forever) but I think we might see someone come in a little bit as a shock and really be a scorer.

Good points. The thing is like every year for the wolves is having buyers for some of our players. We had to release some players in past.

League believes shuts down in July so we have have to see what takes place in August.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Training camp is honestly the single most exciting event for me every year. I look forward to seeing how much players have improved in the offseason. For that reason I'm not ready to write anyone off. For fun though the following players are the ones I expect to be in the mix for roster slots in no particular order.
Positions based on ohl/eliteprospects

Center: Bulitka, Gilhula, Murray, Siau, Byfield, Butler
LW:Carson, Hutcheson, Tabak, Darian Pilon, David Levin, Lewis
RW:Baker, McConville, Drake Pilon, Nizhnikov, Bowie

D: Stratis, Serensits, Candella, Ross, Malik, Ribau, Aucoin, Thompson, Philips

G: McGrath, Frappier, Bowen, Lukkonen, Lemaire

* Madden, Manikis, Emberson, Samuelsson would all be included if not for NCAA commitments

I think there's enough depth that we'll see a real competitive training camp this year. Just for fun, if we don't see any of the NCAA commits I could see a lineup resembling the following.

Levin - Byfield - Nizhnikov
Pilon - Murray - Pilon
Carson - Bulitka - Tabak
Hutcheson - Butler -Baker
Bowie, McConville

Ross - Stratis
Serensits - Candella
Malik - Thompson
Philips

Lukkonen
Frappier
Lemaire(nearby in Jr. A ideally)

All fun being an armchair GM but i'm sure we'll see more stuff moving around before camp or shortly there after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad