Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
I think that is too much value for Levin + the twins, and they don't really need anyone else. I do not think Levin gets more than what Nizhnikov got in a trade, especially since we are talking about 2 years of control maximum (1 of which SSM would have to pay extra for) vs. 3.5 years for Nizhnikov with no conditions.

Howdeshell is equivalent in value to one of the twins (assuming you value them equally). He could play in your top 6 if you wanted him to. He was a great 3rd line player last year and will almost certainly improve with more ice time. All of them are OA's, put up about the same production, and have some sort of intangibles. I am going to say Jacklin + a 3rd could get the other one. Most OAers do not get more than a 3rd or a 4th on their, so you are probably getting an overpayment with Jacklin getting included in there. So in total it would be Howdeshell, Jacklin and a 3rd for the twins. No conditionals based on success or anything like that. I'd say that's pretty fair overall.

That would leave 2 2nd's, a 3rd and a 6th for one year of Levin, which could become 3 2nd's and a 4th if he returns for an OA year. Compare that to Nizhnikov, who for 3.5 years got 2 2nd's, a 3rd and a 5th. If Levin returns for an OA year, you are getting a decent amount more out of Levin than you paid for Nizhnikov and you had less term to work with. I'd say on all fronts, you come out pretty good. Including LeGuerrier and MacKay/Carroll would probably be a deal breaker for SSM. They are the type of young players you include for a premier talent in the OHL, and I am not sure SSM would value Levin + the twins like that. As much as the twins and Levin would help out, they'd probably need to look elsewhere if it cost much more than what I originally put out there.

However it was nice to at least get close to something that was mutually beneficial (if not something that could work) and I hope Sudbury can mine teams like London and Saginaw for some good additional pieces. London will have some really good expendable pieces available this year at forward and defense. Saginaw will definitely have some forwards, and maybe a defenseman or two as well.
Can’t see the hounds dealing Mackay or Carroll
Howdeshell and Jacklin for the twins straight up

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Can’t see the hounds dealing Mackay or Carroll
Howdeshell and Jacklin for the twins straight up

I think he made it clear that they like the twins too much and do not like Howdeshell or Jacklin enough. Maybe in real life it would be different, but who knows really. Even if SSM had to throw in a 3rd to get the deal done, I think it would still be a pretty fair deal for both teams on a pure value stand point. If it does not fit in terms of style, that's a different story and then I do not see a deal working at all. SSM is probably not super motivated to move Howdeshell themselves, and the only reason why he'd have to be offered at all is because SSM does not have enough OA spots for everyone if they got the twins.

It was worth a shot, but there are other teams that will have guys available for SSM and Sudbury to target. London and Saginaw I know for sure have a ton of guys available because they have a lot of young, upcoming talent.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think he made it clear that they like the twins too much and do not like Howdeshell or Jacklin enough. Maybe in real life it would be different, but who knows really. Even if SSM had to throw in a 3rd to get the deal done, I think it would still be a pretty fair deal for both teams on a pure value stand point. If it does not fit in terms of style, that's a different story and then I do not see a deal working at all. SSM is probably not super motivated to move Howdeshell themselves, and the only reason why he'd have to be offered at all is because SSM does not have enough OA spots for everyone if they got the twins.

It was worth a shot, but there are other teams that will have guys available for SSM and Sudbury to target. London and Saginaw I know for sure have a ton of guys available because they have a lot of young, upcoming talent.
I think it's fair value, just not right for the team. As you said maybe reality is different.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
The problem is just that we have so many players just like Jacklin so we need something different i.e Carroll or MacKay or LeGuerrier and we'd knock off picks. Howdeshell while solid just is not worth subtracting chemistry for. And I'm confident that Howdeshell won't put up as good numbers as the twins the year. This would also be where I'd include McGrath and or Candella to build a blockbuster. The Soo's window is starting to close as it does with OHL teams every few years for a couple of years, so they'd need to bank on Levin's breakout and the Pilons improvement as they have each year. Perhaps other players then Howdeshell or Jacklin and a deal could be possible with similar picks. Also, while I like picks, Byfield is not here forever so it wouldn't help us too much in our window, and we all know the picks will be later. Now if we had Howdeshell and Carroll coming and we remove the conditional second and we had a third team (saginaw?) already involved then a deal would work cause we cold flip the picks immediately.

I'd be interested to hear where others value this, am I closer or is SeaOfBlue. I'm a strong Pilon supporter but I suppose an anti pilon fan would take this and run. I like the picks on Levin, I just want a player. Let it be heard, do you take Howdeshell and Jacklin and picks and run or is that too little for losing three of our four best wingers in our best window. Cub? WJ? Iluvallsports? You all usually throw fair valuations out.

I'll take a pass on this one brother LOL. Run with it, job well done. Keep up the creativity.

Oh, one thing I will add is I agree on moving out Candella.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Curious to see how Levin plays at the start of the season.
For sure, could be one of the more interesting early season stories. I think Levin would benefit from being the third line centre if he is here. In sheltered minutes with PP time and chances to move up to Murray or Byfields wings in situations where we are riding two lines hard he may be able to get away from the harder defenders and create some chances for himself. I wouldn't mind seeing him with Butler, who has the wheels, but Byfield may need him too, or Tabak, who has the size to drop into the crease area to screen for Levin. I think regardless, if he is here (I'm not so sure I want him here) this season will be different for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad