Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I really like his size, IMO that's important for a goalie. He also seems to be really good down low which is nice to see. Doesn't show much on his glove or blocker standing up, which is where McGrath routinely got beat but what it did show is comforting. I think we have a good one here. Just think, if Culina affected this team so much, what this kid can do. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that - and don't shoot me for this but it is a possibility - if this season goes badly for some reason (injuries to key players or something similar) we could get a good haul for him at the deadline. I'm pumped for how he impacts this team this season, stability in the crease can change a whole team's play.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Great work Paps! For the first time in a very long time I'm actually excited for this season. I think big things are on the horizon for this team.

This may be the first time in years that they really will contend! Impressive work putting this team together.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Sudburysaturdaynight

Sep 9, 2013
I really like his size, IMO that's important for a goalie. He also seems to be really good down low which is nice to see. Doesn't show much on his glove or blocker standing up, which is where McGrath routinely got beat but what it did show is comforting. I think we have a good one here. Just think, if Culina affected this team so much, what this kid can do. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that - and don't shoot me for this but it is a possibility - if this season goes badly for some reason (injuries to key players or something similar) we could get a good haul for him at the deadline. I'm pumped for how he impacts this team this season, stability in the crease can change a whole team's play.
Was talking to a buddy that is in the know.A import player cannot be traded in his 1st year

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
My attempt at the opening day roster, excluding trades:

Forwards:
1st Line: Pilon-Murray-Pilon
2nd Line: Carson-Byfield-Nizhnikov
3rd Line: Hutcheson-Bulika-Butler
4th Line: Tabak-Tiveron/Siau-Gilhula
Plus: 1 top 6-9 forward

Defense:
Ross-Stratis
Malik-Thompson
Phillips-Serentis
Plus: 1 top 4 D-Man

Goalie:
Luokkonen
Frappier

Traded:
Levin
Lipanov
Candella
McGrath

My 1st line im expecting some varying opinions about that, but I thought that the Pilon's and Murray were an excellent combination IMO, and shouldn't be changed.

As for the "traded" players, IMO, with a few draft picks added as well I believe we can get the top 4 D-man and the top 6-9 Forward that we need.

Thoughts?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Import can be traded at the deadline not prior, just like when we got Lipanov.

You can't trade a recently drafted import at all. You were only allowed to trade for Lipanov because he was drafted in 2016 (wasn't the most recent draft)

Reactions: cub

Lefthander

Apr 3, 2017
My attempt at the opening day roster, excluding trades:

Forwards:
1st Line: Pilon-Murray-Pilon
2nd Line: Carson-Byfield-Nizhnikov
3rd Line: Hutcheson-Bulika-Butler
4th Line: Tabak-Tiveron/Siau-Gilhula
Plus: 1 top 6-9 forward

Defense:
Ross-Stratis
Malik-Thompson
Phillips-Serentis
Plus: 1 top 4 D-Man

Goalie:
Luokkonen
Frappier

Traded:
Levin
Lipanov
Candella
McGrath

My 1st line im expecting some varying opinions about that, but I thought that the Pilon's and Murray were an excellent combination IMO, and shouldn't be changed.

As for the "traded" players, IMO, with a few draft picks added as well I believe we can get the top 4 D-man and the top 6-9 Forward that we need.

Thoughts?
I think should be Hutchison Bulitka Baker.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
I think should be Hutchison Bulitka Baker.

Baker could work there as well, the only reason I think Butler will be there instead of baker, is his speed and skating is excellent. They have around the same shot, however I would give the ever so slight edge in that department to Butler as well. But Baker’s advantage is the fact that he has played in the O last year, and he knows what it takes and is entailed in it.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
My idea has always been is if you have a younger player who can do the same job as a vet you go with the youngster. More upside.....
I completely agree with this sentiment. I love having young players in if they are even just barely worse.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I completely agree with this sentiment. I love having young players in if they are even just barely worse.
I disagree. I believe you take the best players if you want to win and call kids up during the season. Most 16 year olds are better off playing a year of junior rather then sitting in O. Last year the decision was clearly made to start from scratch. I don't want another year of just developing youth. I want results. I hope to see some real changes to the d core. I am confident that with the right changes on d..the team should see results.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I disagree. I believe you take the best players if you want to win and call kids up during the season. Most 16 year olds are better off playing a year of junior rather then sitting in O. Last year the decision was clearly made to start from scratch. I don't want another year of just developing youth. I want results. I hope to see some real changes to the d core. I am confident that with the right changes on d..the team should see results.
The argument was baker vs Butler... with butler being described as being an almost equal if not better player, so I said I’d pick butler. Nothing to do with the D. I don’t think there’s one person on this board taht wouldn’t like/wouldn’t want a change on D. I want a big trade. I’m hoping we’re getting Grondin to solidify the middle of the ice, and hopefully a Saginaw D (Everett, Webb etc) in the same deal to really fill our holes. The only other debate I’d even have is Tiveron vs Bulitka for 4C and for me that’d come down to camp. Here’s hoping Papineau isn’t done because if he is this is still just a bottom seed team most likely. However, you and I have had drastically deferring opinions regarding development vs results in the past so I can appreciate your point of view. I like having young players in if they’ve fill the same role.

My lineup right now looks like this:
*meaning I’d rather they are moved
?/? Meaning one or the other but neither as spare

Pilon-Murray-Pilon
Levin*-Byfield-Nizhnikov
Carson-Butler-Hutcheson (off wing so we can better use his shot with Butlers playmaking and Carson’s puck retrievals)
Tabak-Tiveron/Bulitka-Baker
Spares: Siau, Gilhula

Candella*-Ross
Stratis-Malik
Serentis-Thompson
Spare: Phillips

UPK
McGrath*/Frappier

Now, MY ideal lineup with trades:
*meaning an acquired piece in that position with () being who I’d want it to be

Carson-Murray-Nizhnikov
Pilon-Byfield-Pilon
Hutcheson-(Grondin)*-Butler
Tabak-Bulitka-Tiveron
———————————————

Changes up front: Pilons play with Byfield to ease him in much like they did with Murray.
Murray gets more skilled players, even though I didn’t want Levin there as I didn’t like their games together.
Tiveron plays 4W so he can ease into the C role learning from Bulitka. Butler takes the 3W role.
Most importantly, Levin is gone in favour of a 2/3 C (Grondin) so we can create a culture shift: more two way responsible players, that are good skaters (Tiveron, Grondin, Butler).
Also, I have Baker gone in the Grondin deal.

Ross-(Everett)*
(Fraser)*-Malik
Stratis-Thompson
Spares: Serentis/Phillips

Changes: obvisouly the D gets a big overhaul by acquiring Everett, preferably with the return from Levin, or even in the same deal. This gives us a player with a similar level to taht of Levin but in a position more of need. If not Everett then another top 4 D caught by depth.
We also bring in a D potentially on the outs in Fraser to bring a physical presence outside of Serentis to our backend. Could be another 3-5D on the outs.
Finally we deal Candella because he brings much of the same in a role we really don’t need him to, and I just don’t like him on this team. IMO Levin and him need to go for a real change. We do have an open oa slot though.

UPK
Frappier/Bowen
Call up: Lemaire

Changes: Ukko, plain and simple.
Also Bowen gives a good fight and we deal McGrath and use that return as part of the other deals.
Lemaire gets time in before he and Nick Malik share the crease next year.

I’m going with lots of youth here.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
The argument was baker vs Butler... with butler being described as being an almost equal if not better player, so I said I’d pick butler. Nothing to do with the D. I don’t think there’s one person on this board taht wouldn’t like/wouldn’t want a change on D. I want a big trade. I’m hoping we’re getting Grondin to solidify the middle of the ice, and hopefully a Saginaw D (Everett, Webb etc) in the same deal to really fill our holes. The only other debate I’d even have is Tiveron vs Bulitka for 4C and for me that’d come down to camp. Here’s hoping Papineau isn’t done because if he is this is still just a bottom seed team most likely. However, you and I have had drastically deferring opinions regarding development vs results in the past so I can appreciate your point of view. I like having young players in if they’ve fill the same role.

My lineup right now looks like this:
*meaning I’d rather they are moved
?/? Meaning one or the other but neither as spare

Pilon-Murray-Pilon
Levin*-Byfield-Nizhnikov
Carson-Butler-Hutcheson (off wing so we can better use his shot with Butlers playmaking and Carson’s puck retrievals)
Tabak-Tiveron/Bulitka-Baker

Candella*-Ross
Stratis-Malik
Serentis-Thompson
Spare: Phillips

UPK
McGrath*/Frappier

Now, MY ideal lineup with trades:
*meaning an acquired piece in that position with () being who I’d want it to be

Carson-Murray-Nizhnikov
Pilon-Byfield-Pilon
Hutcheson-(Grondin)*-Butler
Tabak-Bulitka-Tiveron
———————————————

Changes up front: Pilons play with Byfield to ease him in much like they did with Murray.
Murray gets more skilled players, even though I didn’t want Levin there as I didn’t like their games together.
Tiveron plays 4W so he can ease into the C role learning from Bulitka. Butler takes the 3W role.
Most importantly, Levin is gone in favour of a 2/3 C (Grondin) so we can create a culture shift: more two way responsible players, that are good skaters (Tiveron, Grondin, Butler).
Also, I have Baker gone in the Grondin deal.

Ross-(Everett)*
(Fraser)*-Malik
Stratis-Thompson
Spares: Serentis/Phillips

Changes: obvisouly the D gets a big overhaul by acquiring Everett, preferably with the return from Levin, or even in the same deal. This gives us a player with a similar level to taht of Levin but in a position more of need. If not Everett then another top 4 D caught by depth.
We also bring in a D potentially on the outs in Fraser to bring a physical presence outside of Serentis to our backend. Could be another 3-5D on the outs.
Finally we deal Candella because he brings much of the same in a role we really don’t need him to, and I just don’t like him on this team. IMO Levin and him need to go for a real change. We do have an open oa slot though.

UPK
Frappier/Bowen
Call up: Lemaire

Changes: Ukko, plain and simple.
Also Bowen gives a good fight and we deal McGrath and use that return as part of the other deals.
Lemaire gets time in before he and Nick Malik share the crease next year.

I’m going with lots of youth here.
I got the argument I then expanded the argument. I don't agree with you. I don't want to focus on youth. Top two picks and then place the kids with Junior A teams and call them up. I want a competitive winning team.
I also agree with other poster. I am not convinced Pilons as overages should be set in stone. I would see what is out there. I do like them but I wouldn't just be guaranteeing them a spot as management has done. Just my opinion.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I got the argument I then expanded the argument. I don't agree with you. I don't want to focus on youth. Top two picks and then place the kids with Junior A teams and call them up. I want a competitive winning team.
I also agree with other poster. I am not convinced Pilons as overages should be set in stone. I would see what is out there. I do like them but I wouldn't just be guaranteeing them a spot as management has done. Just my opinion.
Okay, fair points. I wouldn't "lock in" the Pilons however it is a pretty weak OA market this season from what I've read on other boards so I feel as though the Pilons are our best options. I'm more of the opinion that Candella is a mistake as our OA and that Levin is the wrong "skilled leader" for this team. I'm hoping management isn't giving anyone a guarantee, because that, I sure won't be happy about. I'm expecting a dog fight of a training camp and I better get that. I'm not so much focusing on youth as I am on speed. I think Butler is our best bet at having a long term winger for Byfield, and his speed and playmaking seems more useful then what Baker would bring this year. Now if Baker beats him in camp, fine, then Baker (or whoever else) earned their spot. Tiveron is the only choice I can see you having a bone to pick with, and to be honest, I don't know, I just love the idea of what this kid might be for us. We've been starving for speed and skill and our own players for so long and now we finally have it in the system:D:D:D This past draft IMO is the best we've had in recent memory and has the potential of being one of the best ever for us, so of course we're going top have some young kids. Byfield and Thompson are near locks, Butler is atleast on par with Gilhula and McConville, so I don't see why we wouldn't give him a chance. Tiveron is debatable yes, but he's my pick, just as everyone has one. This is before I get into Ribau, or Aucoin, or Lemaire who could and should all be in the roster by next season. That's 7 guys, what about Beattie and Smith too who are good young guys? To have success you need to use your youth eventually. The great teams are built off a constant cycle of playing the young guys are trading older assets for younger ones. I want the wolves into a cycle, and thats why I'm willing to ride the young guns if they are nearly the same, and 3 most likely are better. I also feel we should have better talent on our closer Junior teams, but really that isn't going to happen so it'll have to be the same old with the call ups. If we were to give say Tiveron or Smith or Biondi or McAllister chances over guys like Krassey I'd be all over that, but we don't. Unfortunately Sudbury is forced to deal with the realities of the north, so we have to find ways to get guys in when their Junior teams are far away. This is my 2 cents, and I understand it's very different from yours, and that's what makes hockey, and talking hockey fun. It's the debates of youth vs experience, development vs results, grit vs speed, offensive minded vs defensive minded, player vs player, etc. I'll give you then Pilon argument (they aren't the best but they're far from the worst) but playing guys like Butler (who is a 3rd round pick btw so he should be talented enough) is something we'd have to agree to disagree upon.

Reactions: cub

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Notice: I am only using two teams so it's a small sample size, but in my opinion, the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds are the model OHL franchise. They aren't London who easily draws so they rely on development, so I much rather use them. And clearly Sudbury has to be there.

In 2017-18 they had:
4 2001 players
8!!! 00 players (many playing prominent roles)

in 16-17:
4 00 players
5 99 players

in 15-16:
4 99 players
8 98 players (6 are star ohl players now)

in 14-15:
6!! 98 players (5 are NHL draftees and the 6th is Raaymakers so pretty good)
5 97 players

in 13-14 (final dubas year):
4 97 players
12!!! 96 players

in 12-13:
6 96 players
11 95 players

in 11-12 (first dubas gm season):
5 95 players
6 94 players

This is a team that has long relied o first and especially second year players, and look where they are today. So, I don't think it's out of the question that we ice at least 3 02 players this year.

For comparison using Sudbury:

17-18
4 01 players
10 00 players

16-17
3 00 players
7 99 players (2 to at best 4 being locks for ohl next year none NHL drafted)

15-16
7 99 players (many rushed here)
9 98 players (pretty good class, but Pez is best there so)

14-15
4 98 players
8 97 (Capo being great, timpani okay the rest bad)

13-14
4 97 players
6 96 players

12-13
6 96 players
8 95 players

11-12
3 95 players
9 94 players

Not really proving too much but it's more numbers to consider when we look at mock rosters and such. We won't have many 2nd years this year (as of right now) but lots of older players. Maybe time for a changing of the guard.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Notice: I am only using two teams so it's a small sample size, but in my opinion, the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds are the model OHL franchise. They aren't London who easily draws so they rely on development, so I much rather use them. And clearly Sudbury has to be there.

In 2017-18 they had:
4 2001 players

in 16-17:
4 00 players
5 99 players

in 15-16:
4 99 players

in 14-15:
5 97 players

4 97 players
12!!! 96 players

in 12-13:
6 96 players
11 95 players

5 95 players
6 94 players

This is a team that has long relied o first and especially second year players, and look where they are today. So, I don't think it's out of the question that we ice at least 3 02 players this year.

17-18
4 01 players
10 00 players

16-17
3 00 players

15-16

14-15
4 98 players

13-14
4 97 players
6 96 players

12-13
6 96 players
8 95 players

11-12
3 95 players
9 94 players

Not really proving too much but it's more numbers to consider when we look at mock rosters and such. We won't have many 2nd years this year (as of right now) but lots of older players. Maybe time for a changing of the guard.

Your putting in the work!

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017

In 2017-18 they had:
4 2001 players

in 16-17:
4 00 players
5 99 players

in 15-16:
4 99 players

in 14-15:
5 97 players

4 97 players
12!!! 96 players

in 12-13:
6 96 players
11 95 players

5 95 players
6 94 players

17-18
4 01 players
10 00 players

16-17
3 00 players

15-16

14-15
4 98 players

13-14
4 97 players
6 96 players

12-13
6 96 players
8 95 players

11-12
3 95 players
9 94 players

It is not out of the question to ice three but only if they are BETTER. If they aren't and you keep them, then they get rotated in and sit more then they are used to. Especially if you want to win. Players that have never sat go crazy, their parents can't handle it,etc. A kid playing Junior A gets played and the reality of these kids is they will drop everything when called up. Your logistics arguement doesn't wash. You do put a lot of time into your posts but as you said it really doesn't show anything. I do agree that the last two drafts have been better but if you don't start winning you will not get players. This year it is crucial to make playoffs. Winning teams are NOT doing it with youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad