Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
That’s one way of looking at it.
Another would be that the wolves are playing with 3 more 19 yr olds since the deadline while removing Malik and Tabak. I’m pretty certain that the only teams with the same amount or more 19-20 yr olds are; Niagara, Guelph, Oshawa, Saginaw, London, and Ottawa. Add a half dozen 18 yr olds, the wolves are now a veteran laden team with the league’s best goal tender.
Do you sit in section 3?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Absolute BS my friend. Total. Go to school and study the stats and then come back. This is an uninformed opinion that some who don’t follow the team have. Check see how few shots the Wolves allow. If you know anything about hockey you should see they have an excellent defensive structure. If you’re basing your opinion on today forget it, they were understandably disappointed after a huge game last night and didn’t play anywhere near their potential.
I’ve watched every game. Ukko bailed them out a lot early but not that nearly as much since. Yes he makes the key saves but it’s just as much the stabilizing force he provides. He hasn’t stolen every game. The Wolves are an excellent team and with competent goaltending (which they didn’t have in Ukko’s absence) they’d be right in the mix at the least.

Without Lukkonen, the Wolves would be hard pressed to make the playoff.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
If the playoffs started today, the Wolves would play the Petes. That would be an interesting match- up. They're a physically strong team and in my opinion, that's what a team neutralizes to beat the Wolves. The Pilons are pretty quiet when the Petes are in town and don't seem to run around as much. Unfortunately, the Wolves don't have a D- man to take care of Parker- Jones in front of the net. That has been the Petes' go to guy for net front on their PP.

The game March 16 could really be a pre- cursor for the series and worth the drive to Peterborough.

Reactions: three dog night

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
That's just not true,
If the playoffs started today, the Wolves would play the Petes. That would be an interesting match- up. They're a physically strong team and in my opinion, that's what a team neutralizes to beat the Wolves. The Pilons are pretty quiet when the Petes are in town and don't seem to run around as much. Unfortunately, the Wolves don't have a D- man to take care of Parker- Jones in front of the net. That has been the Petes' go to guy for net front on their PP.

The game March 16 could really be a pre- cursor for the series and worth the drive to Peterborough.
I'm pretty sure we're 2-0 against them this season either way, and that's just not true, were still better then Kingston, Barrie, North bay and Hamilton without Ukka

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I'm pretty sure we're 2-0 against them this season either way, and that's just not true, were still better then Kingston, Barrie, North bay and Hamilton without Ukka

North Bay beat Sudbury both games without UPL and scored 5 goals in both games. Sudbury would likely be fighting for 8/9 with HAM/BAR without UPL

Reactions: hockieguy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I don’t think so; but, UPL is no doubt the #1 reason the wolves are where they are in the standings. The kid has been phenomenal and refuses to beat. UPL is having a MVP and career year type season. No one deserves it more than the wolves :)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
North Bay beat Sudbury both games without UPL and scored 5 goals in both games. Sudbury would likely be fighting for 8/9 with HAM/BAR without UPL

More like 4-7, similar to the Petes (Jones was essentially tied with UPL SV% at the break) with and without great goaltending

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

It's difficult having this argument with people who never watch the Wolves play. It wasn't just Ukko, the whole team was garbage during that stretch.

Meanwhile in this 16-3-2 run we"re on, Ukko has been nowhere near as good as he was before the World Juniors and the team has actually bailed him out a few times (he's still playing well overall though).

I think it's clear you aren't interested in reason though so I'm done.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
It's difficult having this argument with people who never watch the Wolves play. It wasn't just Ukko, the whole team was garbage during that stretch.

Meanwhile in this 16-3-2 run we"re on, Ukko has been nowhere near as good as he was before the World Juniors and the team has actually bailed him out a few times (he's still playing well overall though).

Agree with you good sir

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Disagree. UPL has been the league’s most consistent goalie. At Christmas, UPL was in a near 4 or 5 way tie in SV% with Jones, Keyser, DiPietro, and possibly Andree at 0.926. Right now, UPL is at 0.921, Keyser 0.915, Andree 0.912, DiPietro 0.909. Jones fell apart for a stretch.
I think a big difference since the deadline for wolves is most teams stayed the same or got younger, while the wolves added two 19 yr olds in the place of two 2nd yr players that played little.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I will say this one FINAL time. They didn’t have a competent fawking backup Capish? You get it? Comprende? Good. McGrath was terrible and wet behind the ears Weeks was the other option.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

Truth. In fact only during the last couple of games did Ukko look like he did earlier in the year. As you said he was a little ordinary for quite awhile. Perfect timing.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Disagree. UPL has been the league’s most consistent goalie. At Christmas, UPL was in a near 4 or 5 way tie in SV% with Jones, Keyser, DiPietro, and possibly Andree at 0.926. Right now, UPL is at 0.921, Keyser 0.915, Andree 0.912, DiPietro 0.909. Jones fell apart for a stretch.
I think a big difference since the deadline for wolves is most teams stayed the same or got younger, while the wolves added two 19 yr olds in the place of two 2nd yr players that played little.

What do you disagree with? Just the Ukko being not as good as he was prior to the WJC? I mean ok I can live with that if I'm wrong but I think his GAA and SV% were better before that (even though I think just about every goalie near the top has seen those numbers drop, not just UPL).

Not saying you're arguing this as I saw your post above about thinking we'd be 4-7, but my point was how ridiculous it is to say we are a 9th place team without UPL. Look at the scores & shots in the January - present games. UPL stole his share but at many of those wins were about the team as a whole.

The argument that the rest of our team is crap is a tired and objectively unintelligent one. No, we aren't nearly as good without him, but compare our roster sans goalies to say Mississauga's. I take ours 10 times out of 10.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What do you disagree with? Just the Ukko being not as good as he was prior to the WJC? I mean ok I can live with that if I'm wrong but I think his GAA and SV% were better before that (even though I think just about every goalie near the top has seen those numbers drop, not just UPL).

Not saying you're arguing this as I saw your post above about thinking we'd be 4-7, but my point was how ridiculous it is to say we are a 9th place team without UPL. Look at the scores & shots in the January - present games. UPL stole his share but at many of those wins were about the team as a whole.

The argument that the rest of our team is crap is a tired and objectively unintelligent one. No, we aren't nearly as good without him, but compare our roster sans goalies to say Mississauga's. I take ours 10 times out of 10.

I think you read my post correctly.
I believe the wolves fall somewhere between 4-7 without UPL ... in that case, likely without Ruzicka too.
The thing I disagreed with is UPL falling off a little after WJC and him being less of a factor since that time. Since the break, UPL has actually distanced himself from the rest of the best.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The PP is looking better and adding Levin to it can only make it better. Whoever we play in round one will surely take advantage of a PP that does not pose a threat to them. Lets hope it does not come down to that. When a team can hook, slash, trip ect. to take away scoring chances and does not have to worry about the consequences, that gives them a big edge.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada

The playoffs are a whole different season. Anything can happen, whether it’s good or bad, but it is known throughout the league that if you can get under The goalies skin, you can beat him, and his weakness is the glove and upstairs when in close. Morgan frost scored 4 of 5 in the same spot.

I believe it will be interesting to see how NB or the Petes play the goalie. The Petes is a real possibility in round one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad