Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Who is the competent back up now? What is the Wolves record without the goalie in net?
The answer as you know and have said is they didn’t and still don’t have a trusted, competent backup at this level. At least not yet. Goaltending is our biggest question mark for next season. I’m hopeful someone steps up in a solid role but I have trouble seeing one of our young goalies leading us into the promise land. I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point there was an attempt to acquire one. Hey we never expected Ukko. I’d hate for goaltending to derail our season and cause us to get off to a slow star.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The PP is looking better and adding Levin to it can only make it better. Whoever we play in round one will surely take advantage of a PP that does not pose a threat to them. Lets hope it does not come down to that. When a team can hook, slash, trip ect. to take away scoring chances and does not have to worry about the consequences, that gives them a big edge.
Im pretty perplexed at the idea we’re better off long term without Levin. Makes no sense for reasons you touched on. Just have to have him playing the right way. You’d think he’d be hungry to get back in and say what you like, he’s got a lot of heart. I want him back.

I also agree with Wolves and Wings about Ukko. He did indeed fall off a bit after the World Juniors and looked ordinary at times. That his numbers didn’t fall is testament at least in part to the teams improved defensive play. He showed his flashes but to me only in the last several games has he looked impenetrable like earlier. We are going to need him at his very best.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Only seen him in a couple home dates he was not that bad .
Problem with him is you really never know. He’ll be playing good and then let’s in a softie at the worst time.
He has talent, maybe it’s mental, which is where goalies have to be Uber strong. Also, I’d have to say he’s up there in stats in terms of the number of times he’s let the first shot of a game in.

Reactions: three dog night

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Im pretty perplexed at the idea we’re better off long term without Levin. Makes no sense for reasons you touched on. Just have to have him playing the right way. You’d think he’d be hungry to get back in and say what you like, he’s got a lot of heart. I want him back.

I also agree with Wolves and Wings about Ukko. He did indeed fall off a bit after the World Juniors and looked ordinary at times. That his numbers didn’t fall is testament at least in part to the teams improved defensive play. He showed his flashes but to me only in the last several games has he looked impenetrable like earlier. We are going to need him at his very best.

Could not agree more, but some Wolves fans truly have it out for Levin it seems. I know I've heard my share of boo'ing and even downright racist comments in our end of the arena.

Reactions: WaW

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
Getting off topic here, but what are the preferences for a first round opponent?
Let's assume the Wolves finish 3rd, it would the 6th seed in Round 1.

I would say Hamilton is the 'easiest' matchup. I am 100 per cent sure they'll beat whoever they play, but there has to be a 'better/best' matchup.
1. Hamilton
2. Peterborough
3. Mississauga

Thoughts?

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Getting off topic here, but what are the preferences for a first round opponent?

I would say Hamilton is the 'easiest' matchup. I am 100 per cent sure they'll beat whoever they play, but there has to be a 'better/best' matchup.
1. Hamilton
2. Peterborough
3. Mississauga

Thoughts?

That game in Oshawa will decide third it looks like. Usually last game of year you rest players but that will be a big game. As an Oshawa fan I’d rather play Ottawa if it plays out in an Eastern final rather than second rd.
I know have to beat Kingston twice this week to even have the Sudbury game mean something first.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

1. Hamilton
2. Peterborough
3. Mississauga

Thoughts?
I agree though the hammer (Hamilton) are a no quit bunch and would give it their all as well.
It looks to me like we’re on a collision course with either Mississauga or Peterborough depending on where we finish.
It may come down to the last game of the year but our chances at finishing fourth are slightly higher than finishing third in my opinion.
This is because Oshawa has three games remaining, one against us but the other two are against Kingston and I’d fully expect them to win both. In our case we have Hammer town Friday at home then Peterborough and Oshawa on the road in a three in three which is more difficult. You’ll notice I don’t talk much about second as it looks unlikely to me given Niagara’s schedule but it would be great and you never know.
Right now Peterborough and Mississauga are tied for the fifth seed but it looks like Missy has the easier schedule and a game in hand, making it more likely they’ll finish fifth and Petes sixth. Therefore if I had to bet a beer I’d predict a fourth place Conference finish and a date with Mississauga, who had been playing really well but have since leveled out. Apparently some Peterborough fans would rather play us than Oshawa and considering their record against the Gens this year who can blame them. Anyway for me it’s one or the other and whoever it is we need to squash em :)

Wolfpak

Feb 7, 2007
You’ll notice I don’t talk much about second as it looks unlikely to me given Niagara’s schedule but it would be great and you never know.
That said, I would concede 3rd to Oshawa and give UPL a 13 day rest before the playoffs!

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
For me it's:

1. North Bay
2. Peterborough
3. Hamilton
4. Missy

Peterborough over Hamilton just because I'd rather stay clear of the West GTA for travel purposes.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
That said, I would concede 3rd to Oshawa and give UPL a 13 day rest before the playoffs!

Really? Then you likely play Ottawa in the 2nd Round if you finish 4th. I'd much refer to play Niagara or Oshawa then Ottawa in round 2. IMO, there's a bigger difference between finishing 3rd and 4th then 2nd and 3rd. Niagara can have the division for all I care, I just don't like the matchup against Ottawa.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
For me it's:

1. North Bay
2. Peterborough
3. Hamilton
4. Missy

Peterborough over Hamilton just because I'd rather stay clear of the West GTA for travel purposes.

Peterborough are a better team than their record indicates. They have four strong lines and a good defence. Hunter Jones has come out of his slump, so goaltending is once again strong. They are 7-3-0-0 in their last ten games. They will be tough to play against in the playoffs. Another factor is playoff experience. They have many players still on the team that went to the conference final two years ago, while Sudbury players have very little if, no playoff experience.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Peterborough are a better team than their record indicates. They have four strong lines and a good defence. Hunter Jones has come out of his slump, so goaltending is once again strong. They are 7-3-0-0 in their last ten games. They will be tough to play against in the playoffs. Another factor is playoff experience. They have many players still on the team that went to the conference final two years ago, while Sudbury players have very little if, no playoff experience.

No I know the Petes are better than Hamilton. I just dont want to travel to Missy or Hamilton personally. From a pure hockey standpoint Missy and Peterborough are close and are tougher opponents than Hamilton and NB

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Could not agree more, but some Wolves fans truly have it out for Levin it seems. I know I've heard my share of boo'ing and even downright racist comments in our end of the arena.
I know I was really taken aback a year or so ago when I heard boos. I hope I’m not within ear shot of that or any racial slurs as I will speak up.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Interesting thought for sure but as I’m sure your’e aware a fourth place finish all but guarantees a second round matchup against the 67’s and really that is probably the only relevant factor in this race. Do you want to face Niagara first type thing (who we’ve had success against) and possibly have a better chance at the third round? The same applies to the Gens and their fan base or so I would think. Given how dominant Ottawa has shown they can be all season and they’ve been on cruise for awhile (I watched the game in Oshawa last night and they’ll be very tough as you’d expect, with stellar goaltending of their own) all things considered I would prefer a second round (if we can get there) matchup again not the Dogs but make no mistake, Niagara a very talented squad themselves so ultimately there is no free lunch as they say and this includes the first round.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Really? Then you likely play Ottawa in the 2nd Round if you finish 4th. I'd much refer to play Niagara or Oshawa then Ottawa in round 2. IMO, there's a bigger difference between finishing 3rd and 4th then 2nd and 3rd. Niagara can have the division for all I care, I just don't like the matchup against Ottawa.
No no make no mistake, second would mean home ice and that would be Uber relevant. Look at the breakdown of the Wolves wins and see where the grand majority have come from. Home ice would mean everything. You have to ultimately beat Ottawa anyway and don’t forget they got 3 of four points with pretty much the team the 67’s have now minus maybe Dipietro but Andree has been phenomenal.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
They are better than their record yes but they have also not shown any real consistency so it’s up in the air. We’ll see but no the Petes will likely not be an easy out at all.

Wolfpak

Feb 7, 2007
If you can't beat Ottawa in the second round, you won't beat them in the third round. The conference won't be decided this week. No team in this league relies on their goaltender more heavily than the Sudbury Wolves. It is imperative that he be physically and mentally ready for game 1 on the 22nd.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
If you can't beat Ottawa in the second round, you won't beat them in the third round. The conference won't be decided this week. No team in this league relies on their goaltender more heavily than the Sudbury Wolves. It is imperative that he be physically and mentally ready for game 1 on the 22nd.
It’s an argument but I really doubt it materializes. There’s a week break before the playoffs and with the standing the way they are no way I see it if I’m trying to imagine what Stillman is thinking. The only way he maybe even gets a game off is if it becomes obvious where we’ll finish and there’s a game or two left.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

I don't think 19-year-old athletes need more than a few days to get themselves physically ready. Particularly, we're talking about an exceptional athlete, not just the average player. I can't imagine that a week off won't allow him to be rested. What concerns me more than pre-playoff round one is how he'll feel after a long and tough series should it go 7 games. Our backup situation doesn't inspire confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad