Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A few days off is plenty of rest, I think. Three in three prior to playoffs seems an unecessary risk though. Friday & (Sunday - if it means something in the standings).

Reactions: BayOWolf

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
A few days off is plenty of rest, I think. Three in three prior to playoffs seems an unnecessary risk though. Friday & (Sunday - if it means something in the standings).

I think everyone is really overrating rest. These are high performance, teenage athletes. The season is a grind, they have a lot going on with practice and games, travel, etc., but let's be honest, a night or two between games is enough to bounce back.

With the Wolves playing 3 in 3, UPL plays 2 (Friday/Sunday as mentioned, if it means anything).

That way, he gets Monday to Thursday off from games. Practices are in there, but if they have 3-4 goalies around (depending on Bowen and Weeks in the playoffs), they can even give him a practice off.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I don't think 19-year-old athletes need more than a few days to get themselves physically ready. Particularly, we're talking about an exceptional athlete, not just the average player. I can't imagine that a week off won't allow him to be rested. What concerns me more than pre-playoff round one is how he'll feel after a long and tough series should it go 7 games. Our backup situation doesn't inspire confidence.

You think wrong if you don't believe 19 yr olds get tired. This is why Lukkonen isn't practicing with his team. He's tired. Throw in the mental tiredness of school, practice and overall time management, the schedule is pretty stressful. Mental stress is a huge factor, larger then most imagine. Players in a slump, for example beat themselves up all time. So don't discount fatigue so quickly, now is when injuries happen the most.

In the playoffs, most players shift to the next gear, and some don't. But take a player like Levin, throw in a nagging injury and he will pretty quickly find themselves a two steps behind. If that is the case, what effect does that have on his line mates?

But fortunately for the Wolves, as long as their goalie remains healthy, they will be a nasty team to play against.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
A few days off is plenty of rest, I think. Three in three prior to playoffs seems an unecessary risk though. Friday & (Sunday - if it means something in the standings).

Pretty safe to say that you have not taken a shot off the top of the foot and had a bruise so deep that you cant put on a sock. A few days rest is definitely not enough.

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
No, what we are discussing is that a few days rest will not help with some injuries. ie: bone bruises, or in Levin's cases a torn meniscus.

Obviously some injuries are worse than others, like Levin's, but everyone is 'tired' and banged up at this point. Some teams less than others, but everyone plays 68 games, often 3 games in 3 or 4 days, so there shouldn't be one team better off in terms of rest than others. Teams like Ottawa or London are maybe more prepared because they can rest players, but other than those 2, everyone else is in some kind of race.

Everything evens out.

The real season starts in just over a week - as long as the Wolves are ready then, it's all good!

Reactions: dirty12

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
No, what we are discussing is that a few days rest will not help with some injuries. ie: bone bruises, or in Levin's cases a torn meniscus.

The original discussion was around rest time, not injury related, regardless of degree of injury. I think most would agree that injury recovery is different than rest periods and of course severity of injury muddies the time frames. Elite 19 year old men that are injury free should be able to physically recover given a week of rest time.

Reactions: dirty12

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
You think wrong if you don't believe 19 yr olds get tired. This is why Lukkonen isn't practicing with his team. He's tired. Throw in the mental tiredness of school, practice and overall time management, the schedule is pretty stressful. Mental stress is a huge factor, larger then most imagine. Players in a slump, for example beat themselves up all time. So don't discount fatigue so quickly, now is when injuries happen the most.

In the playoffs, most players shift to the next gear, and some don't. But take a player like Levin, throw in a nagging injury and he will pretty quickly find themselves a two steps behind. If that is the case, what effect does that have on his line mates?

But fortunately for the Wolves, as long as their goalie remains healthy, they will be a nasty team to play against.

It seems that your more focused on nagging injuries rather then mental and physical fatigue. I think that's two completely different issues. In the case of Levin he's already out of game shape so will obviously be at least a few steps behind. It will take him 2-4 games just to find his "game" legs again. Too much rest isn't good either. You have to find a balance. I'm one that thinks that avoiding Ottawa is more important then an extra day of rest in terms of making a deep playoff run. I don't think playing 1 out of 3 games vs 2 out of 3 games this weekend makes a difference at all. Give him the morning skate off, or a practice day off fine, but we need the points. Buffalo assigned him here so that he wouldn't bounce between two teams, two leagues in Finland playing 30-35 games all year. They wanted him to see lots of rubber and take a team on his shoulders and give them a chance to win. Remember he's their asset just as much as ours. The AHL work load next year won't be any easier. This will prepare him for that. Just my opinion.

Reactions: justawolfan

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Yeah in truth I'm not worried about any of the 4 teams we could play. Anything could happen, but we should be able to take care of any one of them in 6 or less. I think all 4 "contenders" in the East should feel the same way. There's just such a big gap this year

Reactions: three dog night

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Pretty safe to say that you have not taken a shot off the top of the foot and had a bruise so deep that you cant put on a sock. A few days rest is definitely not enough.

That would be the unnecessary risk exposure that I referred to with 3 games in 3 days.
You could sit him out all weekend and have him not sharp after being off two weeks, I suppose.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Not sure where you’re getting this. I think they’ll be just fine.
That has always and will forever be a part of competitive sports and hockey in particular. I would like to think most championship winning teams were lucky enough to avoid serious injuries to key players during their run and conversely, many runner up teams were likely just good but not as lucky or heathy.
Every team will have to deal with at least a modicum of injuries and bumps and bruises, it’s the teams that can make adjustments and compensate the best that are successful. The Wolves are a good example with the Levin injury. He was a point leader until his injury yet the Wolves have been able to make up for his lost contributions by adjusting.
Playoffs are a war of atricion and wearing each other down and it’s the team standing when the dust settles that wins. The team that ultimately wanted it more as dad said when I was young (this remains true). Playing through pain (when possible) and heart is ultimately what will tip the the scales, at least in the case of two reasonably evenly matched teams.

So anyone else getting geared up here waiting for the playoffs. I think it’s going to be a blast :)

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I for one, don't think anyone we play in first round will be easy, anything can happen.

The one major factor we have is Ukko, if he is dialled in like he has been recently could win a series himself.

I also like that we play a heavy game, which will benefit us in playoff series wearing down the other team.

Key is playing a hard clean checking game, play down low wear teams down. Stay out of the box and take advantage on our PP.

I wonder if Papineau makes some move to sign affiliate players? (if possible), before playoffs start to add depth if we run into injuries, if someone knows the rules on this please feel free answer this.

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
It would for Bulitka but not Candella. Thanks for the answer Bra. I'll keep tinkering with the numbers.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I agreed thank god we have the 2nd best PK in the league.
Beat it me too it Cub. Very stingy PK. As you said thankfully. Definitely do have to stay away from the unnecessary ones that seem to happen far too often.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Ohl cup online right now $23 for the tourney.Watch future Wolf Chase Stillman and probably the best Northern rep team in many years.NOHA up 3-0 second period against Kitchener.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004

Nice. Nick Foligno also played in the same program. Wolves drafted Nick 5th round, and it worked out pretty well for the Wolves (except for the odd bozo fan complaining Nick wasn't a good player and didn't deserve the ice time - cough McDonough cough.. we won't go there lol).
Lets hope Chase takes a similar path as Nick Foligno did :popcorn:

Reactions: Iloveallsports
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad