Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
So with our D already looking like:
Ross-DeMeo
Phillips-Stratis
Thompson-Serentis for ext year, one has to get dealt right? At least one of Ribau, Aucoin, Beattie, Stewart or a new pick will push for time. Interesting our D could be our strength in the future.
Also:
Murray is only 1 goal back of his total from last year. Just needs to pick up some apples now and he could easily surpass last seasons totals. The lack of assists is somewhat surprising mind you.
Carson has passed last seasons totals too.

Reactions: Brook trout

Brook trout

Jan 20, 2019
I agree with recent comments about our defence. They are getting better and stronger every game. Sure they still make mistakes but they are learning from them. Looks good for the rest of this year and next.

When we have a suspension or injuries I understand lines have to be altered but some players seem to be playing with different linesmen on a regular basis. You don’t seem to see it with our opponents. Surely some lines should be consistent and perhaps more goals and assists would be the result. Although our last to few game have been fantastic. Good luck today.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I agree with recent comments about our defence. They are getting better and stronger every game. Sure they still make mistakes but they are learning from them. Looks good for the rest of this year and next.

When we have a suspension or injuries I understand lines have to be altered but some players seem to be playing with different linesmen on a regular basis. You don’t seem to see it with our opponents. Surely some lines should be consistent and perhaps more goals and assists would be the result. Although our last to few game have been fantastic. Good luck today.
On a side note. My favourite type of fishing is for brookies.

Reactions: cub

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Young d-men are getting better. Candella continues to look more like a forward then a d-man. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Sudbury only generating 2 scoring chances after two periods of play. Ranger standing tall in net and giving the Stealheads some life. Sudbury just doesn't seem to get up vs lower teams in the standings. The legs seem a bit heavy today and they are not pressing like they normally do. They won't generate any power plays without a stronger forecheck. Want to see a better third period.

Missing Serentis, Levin and Gilhula today.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Sudbury only generating 2 scoring chances after two periods of play. Ranger standing tall in net and giving the Stealheads some life. Sudbury just doesn't seem to get up vs lower teams in the standings. The legs seem a bit heavy today and they are not pressing like they normally do. They won't generate any power plays without a stronger forecheck. Want to see a better third period.

Missing Serentis, Levin and Gilhula today.

WJ
Two scoring chances? You watching the game? The Wolves had a great first that was ruined by the late PP. Ranger has been lights out. I agree the second wasn't great but Missy has come on. They want these points too.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Pulled off that win, Ukko played well and key to the victory. Ranger played a great game for Missy. We played a decent game, for me Stratis and Candela struggled most of this game, especially in own zone.

Robinson if he can capitalize on some his chances, seems to be right place right time but he's light on his stick, needs quicker trigger, but plays hard every shift.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Awesome win. A great example of how Ukko makes a difference and helps win close games. Wolves dominated early on and should have been up a few but their (Missy) young goalie was lights out. Meanwhile Ukko was stellar while the Wolves attempted to break the goose egg, not allowing that second goal. This comeback and close win is something we almost never used to see. Great shutdown by the Pilons and Carson. Great game by Robinson (give him time) and most of all Ruzicka, who was a beast.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Two really good scoring chances in the first. The rest in the second was in his chest. Soft shots no really quality grade A chances after Pilon broke in on the off wing and tried to stuff it. The third the Wolves finally scored once given the PP. Were pressing more and thats how you get rewarded with the PP. Hutch with his quick release. Then Ruzicka with a long reach rebound. Missy pressed afterwards and Ukko with a couple good saves and the Wolves were able to kill the clock for the win. Good road game, however the Wolves defence today DeMeo, Stratis and Candella let guys get by them way to easy. Need to play the man not the puck. Wolves shortened the bench to 3 lines most of the third. Didn't see Obonswin or McConville the rest of the way. Any word on Serentis and why he didn't play? Overall great 3 for 3 weekend.

Next up on our home stand is Windsor and Sarnia. Cant take them lightly and we need to get another 4 point weekend.

WJ

Reactions: cub and Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Two really good scoring chances in the first. The rest in the second was in his chest. Soft shots no really quality grade A chances after Pilon broke in on the off wing and tried to stuff it. The third the Wolves finally scored once given the PP. Were pressing more and thats how you get rewarded with the PP. Hutch with his quick release. Then Ruzicka with a long reach rebound. Missy pressed afterwards and Ukko with a couple good saves and the Wolves were able to kill the clock for the win. Good road game, however the Wolves defence today DeMeo, Stratis and Candella let guys get by them way to easy. Need to play the man not the puck. Wolves shortened the bench to 3 lines most of the third. Didn't see Obonswin or McConville the rest of the way. Any word on Serentis and why he didn't play? Overall great 3 for 3 weekend.

Next up on our home stand is Windsor and Sarnia. Cant take them lightly and we need to get another 4 point weekend.

WJ
Well to me the young goalie kept them in early or we may have cruised to a win a little easier.
Anyway, agree about the defence. Stratis with a costly penalty, not a great game and I love DeMeo but he struggled moving the puck and with puck battles just a bit Serentsis out with flu Jack.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
So with our D already looking like:
Ross-DeMeo
Phillips-Stratis
Thompson-Serentis for ext year, one has to get dealt right? At least one of Ribau, Aucoin, Beattie, Stewart or a new pick will push for time. Interesting our D could be our strength in the future.
Also:
Murray is only 1 goal back of his total from last year. Just needs to pick up some apples now and he could easily surpass last seasons totals. The lack of assists is somewhat surprising mind you.
Carson has passed last seasons totals too.

With the strength of this group, Stratis may have some value for us to make an upgrade up front next season. I totally agree that the core 5 plus one or two of the names mentioned have me looking forward to our D next season and for the next few.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The real question is goaltending. I’m very optimistic about next year but that issue makes me feel uneasy to say the least. Any ideas on how Paps might go about securing the goaltending? I’m hoping and banking on some sound and maybe creative moves. I guess we could trade for one but in that case maybe offseason as I wouldn’t want us to fall behind early by relying on our young guys. Thoughts?

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
I really don’t know about the goalie situation . It definitely concerns me and I’m hoping we do something . This season , the next and possible the next have and should all be very enjoyable for us wolves fans after years of suffering

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
For the crease we already have Weeks and Lemaire signed, and I'm sure at least one could be solid, but still I think we take one in the import draft. There will be goalies in that draft for us and I'm sure we take one F and one G in 2019 to replace Ruzicka and Ukko, just no room for a D IMO.

Reactions: cub and justawolfan

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
For the crease we already have Weeks and Lemaire signed, and I'm sure at least one could be solid, but still I think we take one in the import draft. There will be goalies in that draft for us and I'm sure we take one F and one G in 2019 to replace Ruzicka and Ukko, just no room for a D IMO.
Good assessment.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
I took in the game in Missy today. Ranger Stonewalled them in the first. He is the only reason it was 0-1 Missy after the first, and really the only reason they were in the game at all. Missy came on strong in the second period. UPL came to play today, as he shut the door the rest of the way, and He got 1 star honours. I found that the third period was a lot of back and forth. Some of the D-men made a few errors, other than 2 or 3 of the errors, the rest of the shift seemed to have them covered. And the big glarring ones, well UPL! :)

It was a decent game, and we came out with 2 points!

Go Wolves Go!!

Reactions: cub

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Well to me the young goalie kept them in early or we may have cruised to a win a little easier.
Anyway, agree about the defence. Stratis with a costly penalty, not a great game and I love DeMeo but he struggled moving the puck and with puck battles just a bit Serentsis out with flu Jack.

With the real flu? Not the one day flu from earlier this season? :P

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Any way to find out who would be willing to go into the import draft? With goalies its hard because the good ones are playing pro and most won't leave for Sudbury, though after watching Ukko here maybe they could. I've been trying to compile a list but really its just guess work and crossed fingers.
That’s precisely it. It’s crossed fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad