Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Brutal next 3 games this weekend. Really hoping we can pull off at least 2 of 3. All 3 would be incredible

Reactions: WolvesFan

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Soo , Niagara and Oshawa . 6 points in the bag!!! Haha
Haha! If they come out and play like they can and have been in the past 9 games, I firmly believe that they will win all 3 of their upcoming games!

Also I don’t believe that I have voiced my opinion about the coaching staff, but hats off to them! They are doing extremely well with the team and at least in my books have exceeded any and all expectations.

Go Wolves Go!!

Reactions: Lycanthrope and cub

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Haha! If they come out and play like they can and have been in the past 9 games, I firmly believe that they will win all 3 of their upcoming games!

Also I don’t believe that I have voiced my opinion about the coaching staff, but hats off to them! They are doing extremely well with the team and at least in my books have exceeded any and all expectations.

Go Wolves Go!!
PP is vastly improving, just need to find the net. They seem to be somewhat snake bitten on the PP especially the Q.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Would be interested in @djscooter thoughts now that we are winning. After our losing streak I believe his words were along the lines of Stillman being a dumpster fire of a coach.

I did say I'd revisit this after we were winning!

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
NB play in own zone is awful. 4, 7, and 10 on last goal looked lost. Surprising from Battalion team with the style they play. Wolves might just finish 2nd? Series against 67 would be fun.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Would be interested in @djscooter thoughts now that we are winning. After our losing streak I believe his words were along the lines of Stillman being a dumpster fire of a coach.

I did say I'd revisit this after we were winning!

I still maintain that Stillman is not a good coach, but he may possibly be an average coach. He's not responsible for Ukko's dominance and thats the main reason the wolves are doing so well this year, I don't think many of us would argue that. In fact i'll be supremely disapointed if Ukko does not take home OHL MVP honors, no players in the league effects his team as much as him. As a goalie I do fully expect him to be snubbed sadly.

While a decent amount of players have improved and will continue to do so, anything who thinks we're not in for a rude awakening next years when Ukko is gone is in for a surprise.

In the meantime, lets enjoy a hopeful run in the playoffs that will atleast goes a couple rounds team, with hopes of potentially going even further then that.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
I still maintain that Stillman is not a good coach, but he may possibly be an average coach. He's not responsible for Ukko's dominance and thats the main reason the wolves are doing so well this year, I don't think many of us would argue that. In fact i'll be supremely disapointed if Ukko does not take home OHL MVP honors, no players in the league effects his team as much as him. As a goalie I do fully expect him to be snubbed sadly.

While a decent amount of players have improved and will continue to do so, anything who thinks we're not in for a rude awakening next years when Ukko is gone is in for a surprise.

In the meantime, lets enjoy a hopeful run in the playoffs that will atleast goes a couple rounds team, with hopes of potentially going even further then that.

Excellent Post! The only point that I would argue is, yes we won’t have UPL but there is nothing stoping us from picking up another top flight goalie either through the euro draft or by trade. I think with another goalie of similar caliber, which will NOT be cheap if we have to trade for him, this team does just as well, dare I say even better next year! And of course this is all just MHO! :)

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

Way to be a good sport, haha.

First off I agree with UPL being the biggest reason for our success and that he should be OHL MVP. I also think we can go on a run and I'm starting to believe we could be a 3rd round team this year.

I think you're undercutting the rest of the squad a bit though, as well as Stillman's impact on it. I dont think UPL is the difference between us being say 2nd 9th. I think if we didnt have him we'd be in that 5-8 mix right now.

It's important to recognize how much better the guys like Bulitka, Robinson, Hutcheson, McConville, the Pilons, and Gilhula are this year compared to last and the numbers they've put up to contribute have reflected that. I think we've always had plenty players like this, but Stillman has done a better job coaching these kind of guys up to their potential better than anyone we've had since Bert Templeton. The pain we went through last year was largely to get these guys to where they are now. I expect most of them to take another step forward next year too.

That leads me to my next point. I think we'll be a top team next season except it won't be because of goaltending. I think we've had such poor goaltending for so long that we tend to get lost in the assumption that if it isnt Ukko, we'll get McGrath level goaltending. Lemaire and Weeks have shown me enough to have confidence that at least one of them can play a bigger role next year, plus I think we can always make a trade to address the goaltending if need be. The rest of the guys I mentioned above, plus the big offensive guys and the entire D core should be quite a bit better next season. Remember we're bringing back most of this core. If we fall back to mediocrity then I'll question Stillman, but he hasn't done anything IMO to suggest thay we should worry about that.

I think what UPL has done for us is beyond all expectations. Most of us were saying pre season that 2019-20 was our year. UPL is so good that he has given us a puncher's chance this season as well. Recognizing that, I think we need to revert back to the original plan and thinking, and recognize him as a luxury for this season, not his departure as a detriment next season.

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018

Stillman and his staff are very good. Yes UPL make them look even better and I'm not sure how much you have seen this year, but I would say every player on the team has improved. And it's no accident. It's not happening "just because."

I feel this is a negative post on a positive topic. Let's face it...good players make coaches look good, but good coaching make the players better. The Wolves have a combination of those things right now and to say it's one thing or another that is making this team successful is foolish.

UPL has stolen games, no question, but there have been times when he hasn't even been noticed in a good way (two wins vs. NB prior to last night).
And even last night, he was solid, but didn't have to be outstanding.

The Wolves defence and D-zone coverage as well as transition have been excellent and it's no accident.

Very good coaching, improving and good players...it adds up to a very, very good team.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Stillman and his staff are very good. Yes UPL make them look even better and I'm not sure how much you have seen this year, but I would say every player on the team has improved. And it's no accident. It's not happening "just because."

I feel this is a negative post on a positive topic. Let's face it...good players make coaches look good, but good coaching make the players better. The Wolves have a combination of those things right now and to say it's one thing or another that is making this team successful is foolish.

UPL has stolen games, no question, but there have been times when he hasn't even been noticed in a good way (two wins vs. NB prior to last night).
And even last night, he was solid, but didn't have to be outstanding.

The Wolves defence and D-zone coverage as well as transition have been excellent and it's no accident.

Very good coaching, improving and good players...it adds up to a very, very good team.

Great post.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Could not believe that with 3 min left in the game, down 2 goals and the face off in the Wolves end Butler leaves his goalie in. He looked disinterested looking up at the clock.

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
Could not believe that with 3 min left in the game, down 2 goals and the face off in the Wolves end Butler leaves his goalie in. He looked disinterested looking up at the clock.

Great eye, Billoink.
I think Stan is fading in his execution and usefulness behind the bench.

Some isn't on him, but his team has 3 good players and it shows when they don't make an impact. Last night, aside from the first 15 minutes, the team looked lost.

I didn't think Sudbury was dominant, but NB looked lost in all 3 zones. Sudbury entered the offensive zone easy, were dangerous once in there most of the time, they cleared the D zone with relative ease and in the neutral zone, it was easy to see Sudbury controlled the play.

And when they needed a save, it was there.

And like you said, he keeps his goalie on the bench down 2 and then they allow a goal...just poor on their part.

Reactions: LR8 and cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Great eye, Billoink.
I think Stan is fading in his execution and usefulness behind the bench.

Some isn't on him, but his team has 3 good players and it shows when they don't make an impact. Last night, aside from the first 15 minutes, the team looked lost.

I didn't think Sudbury was dominant, but NB looked lost in all 3 zones. Sudbury entered the offensive zone easy, were dangerous once in there most of the time, they cleared the D zone with relative ease and in the neutral zone, it was easy to see Sudbury controlled the play.

And when they needed a save, it was there.

And like you said, he keeps his goalie on the bench down 2 and then they allow a goal...just poor on their part.

BayOWolf, we have alot good talent in Northern Ontario for the upcoming OHL Draft, would you like to share some of your thoughts on projections for this group for this draft? thanks

Reactions: BayOWolf

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
BayOWolf, we have alot good talent in Northern Ontario for the upcoming OHL Draft, would you like to share some of your thoughts on projections for this group for this draft? thanks
Cub, may I begin with a mid round pic that I predict will make some noise down the road with the team that chooses him? Cameron Walker.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Born in Sudbury, still have family there. Cousin used to coach the Wolves. I cheer for them as my East team.
I like success stories. People of Greater Sudbury deserve this.
Wish they would go back to their greens.
Awesome. Let us know if you can make it up to a game.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Cub, may I begin with a mid round pic that I predict will make some noise down the road with the team that chooses him? Cameron Walker.

How is Cameron Walker doing? I don't find he gets much hype on that Sudbury team. To be honest I haven't seen the team play this season, but seen them previous years. I hope to see this talented group soon.

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
Last night was a fun game. I know there are alot of Candella supporters out there but Defensively I see him as our Biggest weakness. Simple fundamental plays that Dmen learn at a young age he does not do. And I'm starting to wonder just how coachable he is. On 3 plays where he tried to carry the puck in but failed to get it deep I watched him go to the bench and get reamed by Stillman to "Just get the puck deep" The one assist he got I concede was a nice play in which he directed towards the net to be tipped in (Carson I believe...but now I'm second guessing) This is an extremely rare event...4 of 5 times the puck makes it to his stick hes taking a futile shot towards the net or racking it off a Forwards Shin pads or into an overly comfortable Goalies glove, goal tenders know the shot is coming , He needs to move the puck around or like he did last night put it in a place where it can be tipped or worst case scenario send it into the corner.

I find Obonswin has not really been able to shine on the 4th line wing and wonder if he's a better fit back on the blue line where his natural position is, while moving Candella up to the wing... Don't start on me...I realize major changes like this will never happen as long the team is winning. It's just and idea I see. I think Candy could do some damage on the wing the same way that Patrick Murphy became productive being moved to offense 3 or4 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: staubitz

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Last night was a fun game. I know there are alot of Candella supporters out there but Defensively I see him as our Biggest weakness. Simple fundamental plays that Dmen learn at a young age he does not do. And I'm starting to wonder just how coachable he is. On 3 plays where he tried to carry the puck in but failed to get it deep I watched him go to the bench and get reamed by Stillman to "Just get the puck deep" The one assist he got I concede was a nice play in which he directed towards the net to be tipped in (Carson I believe...but now I'm second guessing) This is an extremely rare event...4 of 5 times the puck makes it to his stick hes taking a futile shot towards the net or racking it off a Forwards Shin pads or into an overly comfortable Goalies glove, goal tenders know the shot is coming , He needs to move the puck around or like he did last night put it in a place where it can be tipped or worst case scenario send it into the corner.

I find Obonswin has not really been able to shine on the 4th line wing and wonder if he's a better fit back on the blue line where his natural position is, while moving Candella up to the wing... Don't start on me...I realize major changes like this will never happen as long the team is winning. It's just and idea I see. I think Candy could do some damage on the wing the same way that Patrick Murphy became productive being moved to offense 3 or4 yrs ago.

I definitely agree that these two seem like the biggest weak spots on the team. The amount of times Candella is standing still an a winger blows by him, is mind boggling. The worst d-man on the wolves blue-line at this point of the year.

As far as O'Bonsawin goes, I just don't think he's an OHL player. Not sure if the wolves are out of cards, or just don't want to call up players but I'd love to see them call Eschwiler back up(Though he seems to be gone to Cambridge now), or even Levi Siau if that bridge is not burned.

Reactions: hockeynorth

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
I definitely agree that these two seem like the biggest weak spots on the team. The amount of times Candella is standing still an a winger blows by him, is mind boggling. The worst d-man on the wolves blue-line at this point of the year.

As far as O'Bonsawin goes, I just don't think he's an OHL player. Not sure if the wolves are out of cards, or just don't want to call up players but I'd love to see them call Eschwiler back up(Though he seems to be gone to Cambridge now), or even Levi Siau if that bridge is not burned.
Very burned , not good enough for this level either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad