Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Wolves need to investigate if they can decline power plays going forward, or atleast until they get a new coaching staff.

I agree PP needs alot of work and players and coaching is to blame, but I don't get the whole coaching staff needs to replace.

Gohoundsgo

Oct 28, 2017
The announcers are completely unaware that Levin is out of the game. “Haven’t seen much of Levin since coming out of the penalty box”.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Good start to game, but alot of mistakes that were capitalized by SSM and the Frost show. Can't afford to have alot of break downs against a talented team.

I also felt the Wolves got away from a physical, tight checking game, and try to skate with SSM which won't win that match.

Levin takes a stupid penalty when we were going on the PP, kind of changed the momentum of game, even though Sambrook sucked him but got no penalty on it.

It wasn't Ukko best game, however, he will comes back strong. We have NB, Peterborough, and Mississauga, two out of three are Central Division opponents important games.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
The third Soo goal was another week clearing attempt and soft play along the boards from Serentis and Murray. Then Serentis again on the 5 minute power play held on to the puck at the line in a position that was vulnerable and easily stripped by Frost for the short handed breakaway. The 4th Soo goal again on a bad and weak attempt to clear the zone with a pass up the middle in the defensive zone. The 6th goal again weak play along the offensive blue line this time Byfield. Which is twice in two games. London and the Soo. Byfield as last man must make a quick play to dish off or carry the puck out and reset. The same mistakes are being made by the same players. The lack of attention to details and being aware of their position with highly skilled players defending them they need have better awareness.

Lack of discipline on Levin cost momentum understandly however Sandbrook knew exactly what he was doing. But that’s the difference between the two teams. The Soo sticks to their game plan the Wolves tend to get away from it more often than not.

UKKO was facing quality shots however we needed him a couple of times today but it was Frosts day!

WJ

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I agree PP needs alot of work and players and coaching is to blame, but I don't get the whole coaching staff needs to replace.
What then? Honestly. It’s really frustrating.

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Ya and a real fan :) Seriously though, a little disappointing. Two games in a row where we really didn’t measure up against the opposition. Yet anyway.

Same story as Friday. A few players didn't show up. Robinson was lost on Friday night hence while he sat today. With the Wolves icing one less forward they went with 7 dmen but that seemed like a huge blunder when Levin took a selfish retaliatory match penalty. It really created problems with the lines in the third. Obonswin, Hutchison, McConville all don't belong on any line matching up with Hayton or Frost. Then you have the soft Murray who's line is not playing strong enough in the neutral zone or deep in the offensive corners. Weak passes along the wall isn't going to cut it. Yes those guys given space can score as did Byfield and Murray but both need to be more aggressive. Its getting very tiring watch this line get scored on every game. The weak play at the end of the first period allowed the Soo to break into the zone with under 10 seconds and eventually scoring with 6 seconds left to cut the lead to half. That goal is a back breaker cause they played weak as they felt the 2-0 lead would hold. The game needs to be played hard every second your on the ice. Ukko was exposed high on the glove side today. I believe 3 or 4 goals beat him there and it seems that his glove hand is his weak spot. Time for a hard week of practice. They need to learn from these two losses. A lot of video to show mistakes that were made. I hope it sinks in.

With the possibility of Gihula, Levin suspended, out do the Wolves call up someone? They need another energy player. Maybe Eschelwer can play the next couple of games. I thought he was quite responsible in the games he played this year. But the Wolves need more offence from Hutchison, and Carson. The same can be said from Candella. They need to chip in more on the scoresheet not every 5-10 games. And tighter and more aggressive neutral zone game from Byfield and Murray.

WJ

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
I wouldn’t be too worried about the power play. What I would be worried about is if the situation the wolves find themselves in is nurtured properly. That is one thing that hasn’t been a given for Sudbury in the past - the progress forward.
The players require accountability for their on ice play but the team management should be held to the same standard. Hopefully, there are smart decisions on both sides of the boards that rally Sudbury into a perennial contender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad