Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
The bad PP is a dead horse and we all know it's an issue, but the biggest issue last night was the collapse in coverage in the offensive zone, on both the PK and even strength. We need to stop letting guys from the point/corner/boards just walk into the slot unopposed with a clear shooting lane. Stratis and Candella burned on that several times last night.

That, and the 2 on 1s we constantly face, my god.

Oddly enough, Murray played a really good two way game last night. Seeing him back-check, get into the corners, and skate back hard was a long overdue breath of fresh air. That's the player we had the second half of last season that I haven't really seen this season until last night, however I was told he played like that against North Bay too, so hopefully that is the start of a trend.

Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As we've been told previously, its a problem with the players, Stillman is the perfect coach, as evident by having De Meo and his 3 career goals on the PP over the hardest shot on the team in Serensits, or the leading D scorer on the team in Ross.

Is this sarcasm regarding the coach’s chosen PP unit; or a statement that the coach is at his wit’s end, thus throwing anyone out on the ice?
I think you mentioned the right D for the PP. Ross is the team’s best D at creeping into open space in scoring positions; and, gets points despite not possessing the ‘cannon shot’.
The wolves PP is made easier to defend by the lack of a proven finisher like Scarbossa or Brazeau; but, there is no doubt legit PP personnel in Levin & Ruzicka. Byfield & Hutcheson & Murray (none should ever be the point man) are teams best goal scorers after Levin; so, get them out there with the smartest D and (stay with it). The best PP is the most practised one.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Worry about the Gens. Plenty of reason to from my vantage point.

Lol you’re such a sore loser and make these boards so much worse than they need to be. People can have a discussion about something without you taking it as a personal shot to yourself. Get over yourself. I will continue to use these forums for exactly what they’re made for, to discuss things about different ohl teams, and sudburys PP seems like a pretty big thing in terms of how Sudbury does this year, no? So you’re gonna need to suck it up

Reactions: Wolfpak

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Game report vs London

-Lack of execution on the PP major difference especially on home ice.
-four on four play was very weak. I believe London scored twice four on four. Serentis and Robinson were caught chasing.
-Regula goal Byfield was beat badly which allowed Regula to get into a grade A scoring lane and he made no mistake.
-penalties of the lazy kind allowed London to draw momentum.
-UKKO was good but not great. He gets rattled easily with guys in his crease(rightfully so) lately and I think the defence need to get more aggressive in front of him so he can maintain his focus.
-just not everyone was playing at the level the Wolves needed to win however London is really deep and we just didn’t have enough depth. Hutchison, Robinson, OBonswin, McConville didn’t get much ice. Serentis had a bad game and our defence overall speed wasn’t able to keep pace notably Ross, DeMeo, Serentis.
-Carson was not effective in the offensive zone. Was easily stripped of the puck which did not allow us to have more offensive zone time.

Overall decent game but London has a deep team that makes a difference as they can make adjustments quite easily.

Side note anyone else believe Kean’s hack should have been a major call? That was vicious and should be reviewed. If Pilon did that he would have been ejected IMO.

WJ

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Lol you’re such a sore loser and make these boards so much worse than they need to be. People can have a discussion about something without you taking it as a personal shot to yourself. Get over yourself. I will continue to use these forums for exactly what they’re made for, to discuss things about different ohl teams, and sudburys PP seems like a pretty big thing in terms of how Sudbury does this year, no? So you’re gonna need to suck it up

“Lycanthrope” and “good discussion” have never been used in the same sentence before

Reactions: Wolfpak

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Getting back to the PP, I watched some of the game again this morning and one thing I was thinking about was back when my Red Wings were rediscovering themselves in the nineties. A very big part of that began when they started posting Holmstrom in front of the goalie. Having that net-front presence changed everything for them, and started a trend in the NHL really, by distracting defensemen and goalies from their usual chasing tasks. We really don't have anyone that sits in front of the net and disrupt the flow a bit. Maybe plunking one of the big bodies in front might change something for us? Gotta try something different!

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Getting back to the PP, I watched some of the game again this morning and one thing I was thinking about was back when my Red Wings were rediscovering themselves in the nineties. A very big part of that began when they started posting Holmstrom in front of the goalie. Having that net-front presence changed everything for them, and started a trend in the NHL really, by distracting defensemen and goalies from their usual chasing tasks. We really don't have anyone that sits in front of the net and disrupt the flow a bit. Maybe plunking one of the big bodies in front might change something for us? Gotta try something different!

I watch Carson in front of the net, does good job standing in there but rarely puts a screen on the goalie, he needs to anticipate when the shot is coming and put the screen on. Raaymakers could easily see shots coming from the point yesterday.

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
I will say that the PP is a combination of coaching failure and player failure.
1. Passes on this team have to stop being at the skates or behind the target.
2. Skating the puck in and trying to go through players only to lose the puck?? Levin, Candella, Stratis not acceptable at this stage.
3. Players are not seeing the open player ever. How many times is there a player open to the side of the net and no pass. Guess what ..you have an extra guy out there. Every other team is scoring like this.
4. Players that are on the PP maybe be more successful positioned differently. ie Carson good in front of goalie but not in a dishing position. (that is just an example)

Also there were a couple times on our rushes, short handed break aways, etc where the right thing to do was to pass the puck and the players took a shot from way out, or skated into a crowd and poof no scoring chance. Again not acceptable, this is a team sport and there is a slight selfish element I see creeping in and you will not win with that attitude. I dont know if they think they are trying to be the hero but it just disappoints me because it affects the outcome.
All of the things I have mentioned fall on both player and coaching. Everything is correctable but the clock is ticking.

I agree with most of this... but as far as taking shore and the appearance of selfish play I must say I don’t agree with.
There were several glorious chances last night to score and instead of taking the shot a pass was made.
Ruzicka coulda had a hatty if he had shot alone in front of the net but tried to slide it over to Levin.
Murray has an opportunity to step in from the right hash marks but slid the puck over on the tape to Robinson who whiffed like he always does.
I think that more times than not selfish play is not the problem but at times could be the solution at times

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
that's interesting, call Levin what you want, I never seen him has a diver.
I'll just leave this here
Screenshot_20190119-135740.jpg

Reactions: hockieguy

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Certainly wasn't a dive...Dunkley needs an ass kicking with his first period double handed horizontal stick swing in the wolves zone at Byfields head . Dont even know why he did it. Fortunately he didn't make contact.

I won't even address the dive since so many others here did. However we got what we expected yesterday. Its extremely difficult to beat a more talented team, while also beating the refs. Probably the worse officiated game of the season. Had a Pilon slashed someone like the one Robinson received, they'd be suspended multiple games. Bouchard must have OHL refs feeling bad for his Jr. B caliber WJC because he can interfere and obstruct as much as he wants and never get a penalty for his efforts. Never mind the new strategy of whatever someone lifts your stick, just let go and we'll call it slashing.

Incredibly frustrating game to watch between all of this and the low effort shown by most of the wolves players.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
No one disagrees. The call noted by the poster was terrible and OHL refereeing most nights is subpar. That’s something most people here would agree on as well

I find it a waste of time personally to complain about referee's I don't believe they win or lose you games. Players win or lose it on the ice.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Wolves need to investigate if they can decline power plays going forward, or atleast until they get a new coaching staff.

Coming from a Hounds fan perspective, the Wolves have been far more dangerous at even strength. The Soo has had more scoring chances than the Wolves have while on the PK.

On a sidenote, I'm loving the physical battles between Sambrook/Howdeshell and the Pilon twins.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Comments on this game should be interesting tonight:popcorn:

Without stating the obvious, they deserved atleast a point tonight.

Thought Murray would of went backhand on that breakaway

Decent crowd tonight.

He made the adjustments on today's breakaway. Good job Murray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad