Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
With the possibility of Gihula, Levin suspended, out do the Wolves call up someone? They need another energy player. Maybe Eschelwer can play the next couple of games. I thought he was quite responsible in the games he played this year.
How did 2001 Levi Siau look last year? I see he played 9 games with the wolves. He is having another very good season for French River. Was he at training camp this fall? Any reason he didn't make the squad this year? I would be looking to call up a good young prospect before calling up a '99 like Eschweiler.

Maybe 2002 Simon Labelle or 2002 Ryan Smith? Both having decent seasons.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Brook trout

Jan 20, 2019
I agree with some of WJ comments about Byfield and Murray but perhaps their defence would improve if they played just one position through the game.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
How did 2001 Levi Siau look last year? I see he played 9 games with the wolves. He is having another very good season for French River. Was he at training camp this fall? Any reason he didn't make the squad this year? I would be looking to call up a good young prospect before calling up a '99 like Eschweiler.

Maybe 2002 Simon Labelle or 2002 Ryan Smith? Both having decent seasons.
Or 02 Blake butler or Brendan Bowie

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2002 Brendan Bowie just committed to St. Lawrence University on Jan. 11. Unlikely he comes for a call up.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Same story as Friday. A few players didn't show up. Robinson was lost on Friday night hence while he sat today. With the Wolves icing one less forward they went with 7 dmen but that seemed like a huge blunder when Levin took a selfish retaliatory match penalty. It really created problems with the lines in the third. Obonswin, Hutchison, McConville all don't belong on any line matching up with Hayton or Frost. Then you have the soft Murray who's line is not playing strong enough in the neutral zone or deep in the offensive corners. Weak passes along the wall isn't going to cut it. Yes those guys given space can score as did Byfield and Murray but both need to be more aggressive. Its getting very tiring watch this line get scored on every game. The weak play at the end of the first period allowed the Soo to break into the zone with under 10 seconds and eventually scoring with 6 seconds left to cut the lead to half. That goal is a back breaker cause they played weak as they felt the 2-0 lead would hold. The game needs to be played hard every second your on the ice. Ukko was exposed high on the glove side today. I believe 3 or 4 goals beat him there and it seems that his glove hand is his weak spot. Time for a hard week of practice. They need to learn from these two losses. A lot of video to show mistakes that were made. I hope it sinks in.

With the possibility of Gihula, Levin suspended, out do the Wolves call up someone? They need another energy player. Maybe Eschelwer can play the next couple of games. I thought he was quite responsible in the games he played this year. But the Wolves need more offence from Hutchison, and Carson. The same can be said from Candella. They need to chip in more on the scoresheet not every 5-10 games. And tighter and more aggressive neutral zone game from Byfield and Murray.

WJ

The blunder is by Levin, not the coaching staff who had to get Thompson in the lineup at some point and he played quite well. If they Wolves go with 6 defensemen this coming weekend I don't see how Thompson comes out of the lineup as he has offensive attributes the other defensemen don't.

Agreed on O'Bonsawin. As the season goes on, its more apparent why he is a call up from Rayside. Play McConville or go 11 and 7 and develop your younger drafted players with an upside. Even if Thompson is only used on the PP that's still a better option.

Murray has played much better and harder on the puck as of late but is still a work in progress. Byfield is still making one too many moves to get a closer shot at the net where he could simply rip it from the top of the circle and beat any goalie in the league. The sixth Soo goal happened because of that type of play. He'll figure it out.

Hutchison can't produce if he's always on the fourth line and rarely sees PP time. For the amount he plays he produces very well. Give him some more ice and put him in front of the net on the PP. He's got size and good hands for tips and rebounds. In the meantime call up one of our 16 or 17 year old prospects and get them some experience in the league. No more 19 year old call ups.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
The blunder is by Levin, not the coaching staff who had to get Thompson in the lineup at some point and he played quite well. If they Wolves go with 6 defensemen this coming weekend I don't see how Thompson comes out of the lineup as he has offensive attributes the other defensemen don't.

Agreed on O'Bonsawin. As the season goes on, its more apparent why he is a call up from Rayside. Play McConville or go 11 and 7 and develop your younger drafted players with an upside. Even if Thompson is only used on the PP that's still a better option.

Murray has played much better and harder on the puck as of late but is still a work in progress. Byfield is still making one too many moves to get a closer shot at the net where he could simply rip it from the top of the circle and beat any goalie in the league. The sixth Soo goal happened because of that type of play. He'll figure it out.

Hutchison can't produce if he's always on the fourth line and rarely sees PP time. For the amount he plays he produces very well. Give him some more ice and put him in front of the net on the PP. He's got size and good hands for tips and rebounds. In the meantime call up one of our 16 or 17 year old prospects and get them some experience in the league. No more 19 year old call ups.

Agree. Hutcheson would be a great net front presence. Get him used to screening and knocking in rebounds. He'll be tough to move and can handle the rough going.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I feel that ross and Murray will both end up going higher then that on draft day
Your that certain Murray will get drafted? The list gets quite extensive when you add the Euros.

He'd be lucky to get drafted this summer. I really don't put much stock into "the list" they put out. Hope the best for him.

Last edited:

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
I feel that ross and Murray will both end up going higher then that on draft day
I agree... The first part of the season I would have questioned them being this high on the list....
But...
Murray has picked up his game tremendously in my opinion starting a few weeks before the Christmas break, he slowed back down just after the break but IMO has been one of the better players on the ice in the past 3 weeks. He's trending up quickly IMO.

Ross- i would not have even had as a consideration to be drafted up until the Christmas break. I thought he was terrible and had not improved from his rookie season in the slightest...
But...
All of a sudden I feel he has been a top 4 dman for us. Not sure if it is the addition of Demeo that has changed his game or not. But the way he is currently playing combined with the ideal size he brings I feel has him trending up for sure. With him trending up and Phillips and Thompson in the wings I think the Wolves D is definitely going to go from a Point of weakness for this team to a Point of strength in a short amount of time.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I agree... The first part of the season I would have questioned them being this high on the list....
But...
Murray has picked up his game tremendously in my opinion starting a few weeks before the Christmas break, he slowed back down just after the break but IMO has been one of the better players on the ice in the past 3 weeks. He's trending up quickly IMO.

Ross- i would not have even had as a consideration to be drafted up until the Christmas break. I thought he was terrible and had not improved from his rookie season in the slightest...
But...
All of a sudden I feel he has been a top 4 dman for us. Not sure if it is the addition of Demeo that has changed his game or not. But the way he is currently playing combined with the ideal size he brings I feel has him trending up for sure. With him trending up and Phillips and Thompson in the wings I think the Wolves D is definitely going to go from a Point of weakness for this team to a Point of strength in a short amount of time.
I've been saying for a while that our D will be real solid in the future and I stand by that, agree with all of this
Your that certain Murray will get drafted? The list gets quite extensive when you add the Euros.

He'd be lucky to get drafted this summer. I really don't put much stock into "the list" they put out. Hope the best for him.
Yes, I think he's trending in the right direction for sure, though I really don't like their list.

Reactions: bigtimefan

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
I sure hope Murray gets drafted and I like the kid. But I predict he will be passed by in the draft. I think eventually he will be an overager for us. He has improved of late yes, but enough to sway my view will take the rest of the season. I just feel there is 'something' missing in his game. Ross - I am loving his recent surge and predict it will continue. The confidence radiates in his game and I expect he will be drafted and higher than the current rating... if he is viewed enough by the scouts. Agree on the future of the "D" for sure... Phillips - wow, and Thompson great as a rookie.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
If you want new players to come to Sudbury you have to show that the coaching staff is helping them to get NHL drafted
This statement is quite simply fact. It cannot be debated. How else can you prove you have a desirable, winning program other than by helping these kids achieve their dream with a chance in pro hockey through the draft? Answer, you cannot.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
If you want new players to come to Sudbury you have to show that the coaching staff is helping them to get NHL drafted
Usually I'd agree with this, but if Murray goes undrafted, it's on his own garbage effort 90% of nights.

Brook trout

Jan 20, 2019
Last year Murray scored the most goals on the team and is currently tied with 18 with Levin. Not bad with only 90 % effort. He will be drafted.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Upside....great upside and every scout sees it.
Consistency and lack of intensity are his biggest issues. He has been much better since the break. If he can continue his good 2nd half he will have earned his ranking.

Reactions: cub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad