Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
As far as I know, once assigned to a junior team, a player cannot be recalled to the NHL or AHL, baring a temporary emergency recall. A bunch of panic and negativity for nothing.

I agree, that post just to stir things up.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
That was a terrible effort tonight. Where were the defense? Pretty much every goal was scored thanks to a defensive breakdown, Weeks not at fault and made several good stops. Defense better figure it out or tomorrow vs Saginaw will be ugly.
We will likely get destroyed tomorrow.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Watching the Wolves game and it is nothing short of a disgrace. Byfield is the only player playing like he cares. UKKO will have to stand on his head just to give us a chance to make the playoffs. Stillman better get this act together and quick. Unfortunately UKKO can’t score goals too. I think PAP’S must realize now we are sellers if any contender wants to strengthen their 3rd and 4th lines.
I honestly can’t remember the Wolves playing so poorly, and they’ve played poorly in more than their share of games. I’m flabbergasted guys. This was really bad. Embarrassingly bad. If not for Weeks (bright spot, way to go kid) it could have been a real rout. Doesn’t look for good for Stillman and co, with the exception of Byfield it’s like the players really don’t care near enough. Can Ukko make that much difference both on the ice and in the players heads? Something is really off. I really hope they show some pride tomorrow against a stacked Saginaw club.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Big congrats to UPL! He is amazing and you should build this year around him for a good playoff run!

‘should have’ Papineau may have missed the boat. Maybe NTCs came into play, Idk. But, players are/were priced to go. Philips & Tippett were very affordable and exactly what the wolves needed to contend.
The ‘rebuild’ is beyond old; but this point, trade UPL for whatever can be had and start the search for an above replacement level coach. Six straight losses and counting, that’s a selling point for UPL.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
‘should have’ Papineau may have missed the boat. Maybe NTCs came into play, Idk. But, players are/were priced to go. Philips & Tippett were very affordable and exactly what the wolves needed to contend.
The ‘rebuild’ is beyond old; but this point, trade UPL for whatever can be had and start the search for an above replacement level coach. Six straight losses and counting, that’s a selling point for UPL.

Based on depth of young players and high picks available to trade for UPL, should the Wolves go in that direction, London probably could outbid anyone for his services and could possibly use the upgrade in goal in light of the moves made by the competition in the west. A very good import would come back plus plus.

But from all accounts, they are out of cards.

And they're likely pretty happy with the imports they have now anyway.

Bottom line is, Sudbury needs to buy and buy hard IMO. Right now they are a good bet to get to the second round and not much further. If they want to beat one of Ottawa or Niagara in round two, they need to empty the cupboard now and go after the likes of Suzuki, a couple of Kitchener's 99's, and upgrade their OA's.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Should have traded UPL earlier. Contenders are settled in net. Said it earlier, he is a huge asset that did not quite fit with the team make up. He can win a couple of rounds but to go further Wolves need more.

In order to salvage something of this year, look to OA situation. OA's will not cost you the same as a Tippett or similar that are/were out there. Would mean letting a couple of them go however maybe look to OS for D. Might have to give up Murray? Also OA forward from Ham, Erie, or NB for 3 or 4 future picks. Lose one roster player for immediate help for UPL and you might just go far this year and have not really hurt the future. Current team would be significantly upgraded, and keeps these guys out of the hands of NIA, Ott, Osh, and others. Unfortunate if you waste the best goalie.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Based on depth of young players and high picks available to trade for UPL, should the Wolves go in that direction, London probably could outbid anyone for his services and could possibly use the upgrade in goal in light of the moves made by the competition in the west. A very good import would come back plus plus.

But from all accounts, they are out of cards.

And they're likely pretty happy with the imports they have now anyway.

Bottom line is, Sudbury needs to buy and buy hard IMO. Right now they are a good bet to get to the second round and not much further. If they want to beat one of Ottawa or Niagara in round two, they need to empty the cupboard now and go after the likes of Suzuki, a couple of Kitchener's 99's, and upgrade their OA's.

Suzuki (C/RW) is one of the two impact players the wolves need to contend. The other is an all purpose D.
That D is definitely not Garreffa. Yantsis would fit; but he is probably priced out of this market if you’re selling him as anything close to next season’s Brazeau or Felhaber.
But if targeting a ranger, Meireles (might) be the best fit and have the greatest impact of any non-WJC player available.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Let's be realistic we don't have the assets to go after the big names, unless we give up alot of draft picks. Our team wins with great goaltending and scoring by committee. Levin is our top scorer he is 50th in the scoring standings, guys like Carson, Butlika, Gilhula, Pilons' are not going to put up numbers, and will not get much in return in a trade. I would like to see Carson, Butlika, and Gilhula moves if we could get some younger talent.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I do not believe the Wolves are in any position to even make minor tweaks in hopes of advancing a round or two. Sure UKKO can save games but unfortunately he can't win them. There is simply no consistency in their game, absolutely no PP and chances of improving it are not working. They have more puck movement on the PP of late however it seems to be worked back to the D then a long shot on net. Too predictable for this league. I hope PAPs accepts reality and keeps UKKO for fan enjoyment and sells off for 17 and 18 yr olds that are not in this years plans for a run. Playing without UKKO should of been a real eye opener for management over that stretch. Players did not step up and took the easy way out, so easy to blame it on goal tending. The coaching staff is as much to blame not being able to get a handle. This is far from a lost season, there will be many highs and many lows going forward. As fans I guess we just have to sit back and enjoy and keep hoping that one day we will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Suzuki (C/RW) is one of the two impact players the wolves need to contend. The other is an all purpose D.
That D is definitely not Garreffa. Yantsis would fit; but he is probably priced out of this market if you’re selling him as anything close to next season’s Brazeau or Felhaber.
But if targeting a ranger, Meireles (might) be the best fit and have the greatest impact of any non-WJC player available.
I think if Sudbury wants Merieles it would cost picks and a young skilled prospect.
Do fans think that Sudbury has enough even with a couple of trades to make a run?
Some teams need that revenue from a run in the play offs and my make deals to insure they get a round or two into the post season. Ottawa , London , Niagara and Saginaw look really strong. Going to be a grind to get to the finals.

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I think if Sudbury wants Merieles it would cost picks and a young skilled prospect.
Do fans think that Sudbury has enough even with a couple of trades to make a run?
Some teams need that revenue from a run in the play offs and my make deals to insure they get a round or two into the post season. Ottawa , London , Niagara and Saginaw look really strong. Going to be a grind to get to the finals.

At this time, Sell, Sell, Sell. We need to make playoffs so need to keep Ukko. Also can't touch Byfield.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong but 1st year imports can't be traded. So ukko can't be traded[/

World Class goalie stuck behind a mediocre team. That’s what we have in Sudbury for the 2018-19 season. Next year remove the World Class goalie and that’s what we have for 2019-2020 season.

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad