Sudbury Wolves 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
From the Sudbury Star:

The Sudbury Wolves selected third overall in Tuesday's CHL Import Draft, picking Dmitri Sokolov, a left-winger who can play all three forward positions.

Sokolov, 17, of Omsk, Russia, is listed as 6-foot-2, 200 pounds. In 2014-15, he scored 13 goals and added three assists, along with four penalty minutes in 29 games for Omskie Yastreby of the MHL. Sokolov helped Team Russia win a gold medal in the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Sarnia, leading the team with six goals and three assists in six games.

He is ranked No. 8 overall by Future Considerations for the 2016 NHL Draft.

While there's always the fear a Russian-born player has no interest in coming over to the CHL/OHL, Wolves general manager and president Blaine Smith put an end to any of that worry.

"I'm 100% confident he'll be coming," Smith said, reached not long after making the pick. "We fully expect him to be here for training camp. We've done our homework and we feel he wants to come."

Vladimir Kuznetsov, another left-winger, went first overall to Acadia-Bathurst, while Libor Hajek, a defenceman, went second overall to Saskatoon, but Smith made it clear Sokolov was their man all the way.

"Anytime you can have a player who can play three positions, (is good)," Smith said. "We saw him as a top forward in the draft."

"We believe strongly he has the offensive skills to be a productive forward for us as a first-year player," Smith added. "There's independent groups who see him as a top-10 pick in next year's NHL draft. That's how highly regarded he is in the scouting services."

He was highly regarded in the Wolves' scouting system, too. Sudbury's European scout, Dan Cuomo, was all in on Sokolov.

"He's watched him play a couple occasions and he agrees he's the right pick," Smith said.

The Wolves elected to pass on their second round, 63rd overall import selection. Smith said the Wolves have protected Czech-born forward Pavel Jenys as one of their two import players next season. Jenys led the Wolves in scoring last season with 15 goals and 45 points. The 19-year-old Jenys is a Minnesota Wild prospect.

"We talked to Minnesota and because he's 19 there's a good chance he'll be returning, but it depends on his performance and Minnesota's decision," Smith said. "He's too good of a player to delete and take a chance he's not coming back. We'd love to have him back."

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
From the S.S.

Dave Matsos officially took the 'interim' title off his nameplate Thursday.

In a move expected for some time, but not formalized until this week, the Sudbury Wolves signed Matsos to a multi-year contract as head coach, while also adding his onetime regional rival, Drake Berehowsky, as an associate.

"To finalize it was peace of mind," said Matsos, 41. "There was no doubt in my mind Sudbury was the team I wanted to coach.

"Management, ownership – I understand that they took their time and I think they should have taken their time, but at the end of the day, they think I'm the guy that's fit for the job and I'm over the moon about it."

Hired as an associate coach in 2013, Matsos took over the bench for slumping Sudbury after Paul Fixter was fired in January. While the Wolves showed little improvement in the standings, many observers believed the players responded well to Matsos' approach – indeed, some even pointed to his job security as one of their main motivations.

"I love the players that I coach and I thought we made some amazing strides when we worked together and got to know each other better as head coach and players," Matsos said. "I'm excited and I think the next three years, for me, are going to be great, I can't even tell you. I'm looking forward to watching these guys grow into men."

He's just as excited to add Berehowsky from a list of around 100 applicants for the associate's position.

The 43-year-old Toronto native starred as a defenceman for the North Bay Centennials when Matsos played forward for the Soo Greyhounds, then went on to play more than 500 games in the NHL before coaching at the junior level and professional levels.

Most recently, Berehowsky spent two years as head coach of the Lethbridge Hurricanes of the Western Hockey League, after a stint as bench boss of the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL.

He is expected to focus on Sudbury's young defence corps.

"He has wicked experience and he's super excited about coming," Matsos said. "There was a ton of qualified applicants, but he was the best qualified. He's a good man, just a really good guy, same sort of demeanour as me, same sort of hockey beliefs as me – just a real good fit."

Reached Thursday afternoon, Berehowsky said he looks forward to living and working in his home province, and in a hockey-mad city like Sudbury in particular.

"I'm so excited to be coming back home and be working for an organization like Sudbury, where they have a great history," said Berehowsky, who has a wife, Lori, and six children. "It's going to be great for my family as well and my kids are excited about moving home and being around a great hockey community.

"Dave is the type of guy who's going to be fun to work for. We're going to be a good tandem, we'll be able to talk a lot, to communicate and I know he's the boss, but it feels almost like a partnership with him and that's what he has expressed to me. I had to be careful about where I went and why I chose these guys was the teamwork they do. Everybody's interacting, trying to help each other out, and I think that's the only way to have success, to work as a group, rather than as individuals."

Bryan Verreault will return for a second straight season as assistant coach and Miguel Beaudry will be back as goalie coach, the Wolves announced.

Sudbury president/general manager Blaine Smith likes the new look of his team's bench.

"We are very pleased to have Drake Berehowsky join our coaching staff," Smith said in a press release. "Drake is an outstanding teacher and he will do a great job mentoring our young defencemen in particular. He will also provide experienced bench support for coach Matsos. I believe we now have one of the best coaching staff in the OHL with a good mix of OHL experience and pro coaching experience."

Having secured his staff, Matsos can now focus on preparing a still-youthful Sudbury squad for the 2015-16 campaign.

"We're obviously aiming to be a playoff team this year and I think Year 2 is going to be a really fun year," Matsos said. "It's going to be fun to coach these guys as they get older and you look at your David Levins, Michael Pezzettas, Brady Patakis, Owen Lane is a natural goal scorer, Macauley Carson is a physical specimen who comes from a Swedish pedigree, which I love – there's so much upside to what's happening here and it's going to take time, but it's going to be fun to watch."

I guess B.S. is keeping his job title as well.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Yahoo Sports:

Job security isn’t exactly a part of a coaching job description in the Western Hockey League. The Lethbridge Hurricanes became the third team this year to fire their head coach on Tuesday by relieving Drake Berehowsky of his coaching duties. Berehowsky joins Troy Ward, fired by Vancouver, and Cory Clouston, let go by Prince Albert, as WHL coaches looking for work.

It wasn’t a question of if Berehowsky would lose his job, but rather when. His 18-74-5-4 record throughout his season and a half with the Hurricanes combined with a 6-19-3-1 start to this year practically sealed his fate. In addition, he had handful of players, including premier talents like star blueliner Ryan Pilon and Minnesota Wild prospect Reid Duke, ask for trades under his watch. It seems being on a rebuilding team and entitlement had something to do with the trade requests, but one would have to be naïve to think Berehowsky’s coaching style didn’t play a major role in their decisions. He wasn’t exactly known to be a player’s coach.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Yahoo Sports:

Job security isn’t exactly a part of a coaching job description in the Western Hockey League. The Lethbridge Hurricanes became the third team this year to fire their head coach on Tuesday by relieving Drake Berehowsky of his coaching duties. Berehowsky joins Troy Ward, fired by Vancouver, and Cory Clouston, let go by Prince Albert, as WHL coaches looking for work.

It wasn’t a question of if Berehowsky would lose his job, but rather when. His 18-74-5-4 record throughout his season and a half with the Hurricanes combined with a 6-19-3-1 start to this year practically sealed his fate. In addition, he had handful of players, including premier talents like star blueliner Ryan Pilon and Minnesota Wild prospect Reid Duke, ask for trades under his watch. It seems being on a rebuilding team and entitlement had something to do with the trade requests, but one would have to be naïve to think Berehowsky’s coaching style didn’t play a major role in their decisions. He wasn’t exactly known to be a player’s coach.

Let it be known, this is the best available who was willing to work for Mark Burgess. Way to go champ!

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Just catching up after some time off.

I see the Wolves have signed a boat load of forwards...4 from this year's draft, 2 from the outlaw league and an import.

From last year's squad (end of season) we will lose just two - Silk and Kashtanov.
That means we have 5 additional forward whoa re signed. I understand that it is possible that a few of them will start a tier 2 but the Wolves have always kept those they have signed on the big club's roster. Yes, they may have them rotate in and out of the line-up but they don't sign and send to another club right away.

So the question is - who will be moved before camp?
I have heard that they are looking a stud defenceman OA where they can move a forward or two...this really to just replace Corbett...I think to do this it would have to be forwards out and defence in to work.

However, the D they had in and out of the line-up last year is also plentiful - Capobianco, Duschene, Cummins, Bourque, O'grady, Mayo, Clapham. I am guessing carrying 7 works but lots of sitting.

Any thoughts?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I didn't realize the import signed but is it possible one or all the overage forwards (Desrochers, Harris and/or Wood) will not be back?

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
I didn't realize the import signed but is it possible one or all the overage forwards (Desrochers, Harris and/or Wood) will not be back?

On the import, although not signed, believe they are quite sure they will have him here basis of already releasing Kashtanov to make room.

You have a point on the OA's. It is possible that they might not take any OA's - release all three to make room for these newly signed players. They keep talking about in the paper articles about going young and there has been no discussions about the OA's at all.

Lanny

May 9, 2012

Committed to the Wolves as per Twitter ...today

@Sudbury_Wolves: The Sudbury Wolves are pleased to announce that Dmitry Sokolov has committed to the Wolfpack! http://t.co/ITwaoowaKh

Last edited:

PuckTalk1122

Sep 3, 2013
Sudbury D

I actually see the Wolves D as a strong-suit this season....everyone has OHL experience, Capobianco should be dominant and Bourque & O'Grady are both high pedigree players in the their NHL draft years. Motivation shouldn't be a problem, and I think Berehowsky will do a great job with the young D.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
All 5 players signed from this years OHL draft plus the import pick are forwards.

Should we read anything into this?

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Def could be movement. Doesn't mean all the rookies will be on the team but I'm tired of "vets" having a free pass cause they made the team prior. They can also look at the back end as well. Cummings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00