Sudbury Wolves 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
Anyone close to the wolves organization know any volunteer opportunities with the Wolves? I'm a 16 year old Hockey obsessed kid looking to gain experience in sports management for my future program at Brock.

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Smart trade by Smith, Murphy for a 15th round pick (Erie). OA candidate.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Can any Erie fans tell us wolves fans what kind of player Murphy is? Like is he really that good or are his stats that good because he played with McDavid?

Murphy is a decent player. Versatile, can play forward or defense, but better at defense. He is not great in his own zone, prone to mental mistakes, average feet. Good offensive instincts though. Could see him slot in on Sudbury's second pairing and quarterback their second powerplay unit.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Sudbury Star:

“I talked to him on the phone today and he’s a great kid with a great attitude,†Smith said. “I even asked him, ‘Do you prefer playing forward or D?’ and he said, ‘I’ll play anywhere you want me to.’ That’s really nice to hear from a veteranplayer.â€

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Is this David Branch's son? If so are there now going to be complaints about bias to Sudbury? THe write up does make it sound like a good signing though with how good Belleville was.

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
So the head scout they were so high on Shaw? is he gone?

First thing that came to mind for me as I read the article! So what is really going on with the scouting staff. After having a very good draft in 2015 what prompted the new GM having to select a new scouting staff?

Very confusing as the Wolves have been stating that Shaw had been an excellent addition the last two drafts. Regardless it is interesting that this announcement comes after all the work has been completed and the deal for an overage defencmen was made just one day earlier by Smith. Maybe Branch would have had a different overage D in mind to acquire. Anyway I guess the first order of business will be what to do with the all the bodies at camp. As it stands right now the log jam at defence and forward means someone will be dealt. My guess is either Cummins or Duchense will be dealt. I would rather keep Duchense for his aggressiveness. Clapham and Mayo where do they fit in. Likely players on the way out. At the forward position Zeppieri, Wood and a couple of the signed rookies, Silveri, and the free agent signing Pilon twins will be in tough to find any room on the roster. As for the Tanuguay he will be put on waivers and will probably be left unclaimed and return to Quebec. The Wolves have some quality youngsters in behind Timpano.

Looking forward to the next three weeks!

WJ

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
First thing that came to mind for me as I read the article! So what is really going on with the scouting staff. After having a very good draft in 2015 what prompted the new GM having to select a new scouting staff?

Very confusing as the Wolves have been stating that Shaw had been an excellent addition the last two drafts. Regardless it is interesting that this announcement comes after all the work has been completed and the deal for an overage defencmen was made just one day earlier by Smith. Maybe Branch would have had a different overage D in mind to acquire. Anyway I guess the first order of business will be what to do with the all the bodies at camp. As it stands right now the log jam at defence and forward means someone will be dealt. My guess is either Cummins or Duchense will be dealt. I would rather keep Duchense for his aggressiveness. Clapham and Mayo where do they fit in. Likely players on the way out. At the forward position Zeppieri, Wood and a couple of the signed rookies, Silveri, and the free agent signing Pilon twins will be in tough to find any room on the roster. As for the Tanuguay he will be put on waivers and will probably be left unclaimed and return to Quebec. The Wolves have some quality youngsters in behind Timpano.

WJ

Very good summary.
They keep talking about having 55 players at camp I believe enough for 3 teams of 18-19 per team. Basis of all the players drafted in 2015, plus signed players already, etc, there will be a few turned away at the door.

Curious who will be the official leadship group as think the new OA Murphy might be on that short list now.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

WJ

WJ- longtime..(wolfattack here) I think Shaw covered the London area mostly, as I hear he resides there. Maybe he stays on in that area alone. Concerning the recent move, wouldn't surprise me if the new GM was in on that trade as well. Plenty of time to make his stamp on this team. He's also the commissioners son, can't see MB acting a fool. Smart hire by MB. Whom also stated he is not selling the team. Let's move on...

Last edited:

IceWolve

Aug 11, 2015
Sudbury Furture Direction Trades, GM etc.

Well first time Wolves Fan deciding to join the board only cause things starting to look better and going in right directions as per below.

Think the TRADE with Erie getting Murphy for next to nothing is a steal, smart move. I mean the kid last year had 31 points, is described as an offensive D, by all accounts sounds like he has a great head on shoulders and having 30 playoff games under belt and going all the way to Championship last year, how can that not be good? Sounds like the will use him and Capobianco as a 1 / 2 Tandem. Personally I would split them up at Full Strength, but together on the PP. Like I sad a Steal for only a 15th round conditional pick, when other overagers with half the amount of experience or points Murphy had, costs 3rd or 4th round picks, so this is all good.

GM Branch is a great move. I mean come one, knows the game, made some really good moves in Bellville and I think we are in good hands with that one, as long as he has total control. Read somewhere that Smith met with him last Thursday, so my guess is even though he was not announced, he proably had a say in the Murphy trade.
Some on the board have complained about the Log Jam at camp, what like 60 players, well competition is good man. nothing like having to fight for your job.
With some good draft picks and a top CHL pick the Wolves got this year things are looking good.
Call me crazy, but I am going to predict the Wolves make the playoffs this year. So fellow Woves Fans, any thoughts comments. Could only get better and will be better than last year. Also what do you think about the goaltending spot and who will the final 3 Overagers B. Camp will be fun this year

Last edited:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I know that Levin is a 1sr overall and alot is expected of him, but he didn't really impress me much at the Rookie Camp.

Levin's compete level has room for growth. No doubt. Super talented players possibly feel they can coast at times, u see it in every age group. But no one can change a game like these guys.

I still would have taken him #1 overall, even if all the Top guys were willing to report. At his best he is unreadable and his arsenal of moves justs adds to the guessing game. His hands and East-West moves are a nightmare to deal with. At times, he will electrify the building.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Levin's compete level has room for growth. No doubt. Super talented players possibly feel they can coast at times, u see it in every age group. But no one can change a game like these guys.

I still would have taken him #1 overall, even if all the Top guys were willing to report. At his best he is unreadable and his arsenal of moves justs adds to the guessing game. His hands and East-West moves are a nightmare to deal with. At times, he will electrify the building.

Thank you mapleleaf979. Levin and Sokolov are the face of this franchise going forward. HIGH END SKILL

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The wolves should make the playoffs this year but don't expect a high seed. If they do this right, they can be a real contender next year with some proper asset management this year.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Is this David Branch's son? If so are there now going to be complaints about bias to Sudbury? THe write up does make it sound like a good signing though with how good Belleville was.

You mean like the bias towards Belleville? Was going to put LOL, but it's not funny.

Congratulations on scooping up Murphy, he's a great kid.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Things are starting to shape up now, with new GM, new assistant coach, new recruits. Articles recently in the SS and NL seem to be assuring top 6 minutes to Schmalz, Levin, the Russian kid, Jenys. That is four of the 6. Defence looks with Capobianco and Murphy as top pairing. After that not sure, but assume O'Grady, Bourque and Mayo will be in the running for pairing 2.

Anyone care to fill in the gaps?

lets be real

Nov 26, 2014
Things are starting to shape up now, with new GM, new assistant coach, new recruits. Articles recently in the SS and NL seem to be assuring top 6 minutes to Schmalz, Levin, the Russian kid, Jenys. That is four of the 6. Defence looks with Capobianco and Murphy as top pairing. After that not sure, but assume O'Grady, Bourque and Mayo will be in the running for pairing 2.

Anyone care to fill in the gaps?

I think Desrochers and Harris will be top 6 and definitely main PK squad. Saw Desrochers on the ice last week in Northbay. He has got bigger and faster.I think he is going to have a breakout year this year in his OA year. Good leader for the younger kids and Harris is always solid

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
A sign of change for this origination would be to see Cummings released or traded. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad