Sudbury Wolves 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Well MCTV just announced that Matsos has signed up for two more years as head coach. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. Usually you hire a GM first, so we can presume it will more of the same this year. Although I have little concern for Smith, I have do not trust the scouting staff. Blaine again will have to give up assets to get quality players. Under Matsos, there was "zero" improvement after Fixter was let go. So the combo of Smith and Matsos will struggle again this year. Well I can hope for improvement, but I think I will be disappointed

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Well MCTV just announced that Matsos has signed up for two more years as head coach. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. Usually you hire a GM first, so we can presume it will more of the same this year. Although I have little concern for Smith, I have do not trust the scouting staff. Blaine again will have to give up assets to get quality players. Under Matsos, there was "zero" improvement after Fixter was let go. So the combo of Smith and Matsos will struggle again this year. Well I can hope for improvement, but I think I will be disappointed

Its ok, normal standards. Team wont be productive as most think so having that coach works. If he fails, then he's replaced.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
Anyone want to to take crack on the line-up for this season?

Who will be the C and A's?
Who will play of the 1999's just recently drafted?
Will Jenys be back?
Will Kashtanov be back?
If these two imports are gone - what do they need from the import draft?
Who will be our three OA's ? Will they go outside the Wolves to fill one of all of the spots?
Who should be moved to strengthen team?
Who will they get to be Matso's assistant?

lets be real

Nov 26, 2014
I think Desrochers will get the C,Harris,Schmaltz and Capobianco will get the A's. Jenys is coming back,Kash isn't and they are going after Tilander. I like Garigan for sure and Levin of course. Just my opinion

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Anyone want to to take crack on the line-up for this season?

Who will be the C and A's?
Who will play of the 1999's just recently drafted?
Will Jenys be back?
Will Kashtanov be back?
If these two imports are gone - what do they need from the import draft?
Who will be our three OA's ? Will they go outside the Wolves to fill one of all of the spots?
Who should be moved to strengthen team?
Who will they get to be Matso's assistant?

My Attempt at the lineup for this season;

Dessrochers Harris Schmaltz
Jenys Zeppieri Levin
Pataki Pezzetta Heffernan
Bulitka Graaskamp Wood
OA Forward

Capobianco/Import
Bourque/OA Defenceman
Duchesne/O'Grady
Mayo or another OA Defenceman as the 7th.

Timpano
Menna

Please feel free to debate about this! :P

guy97

from sarnia
Apr 16, 2015
My Attempt at the lineup for this season;

Dessrochers Harris Schmaltz
Jenys Zeppieri Levin
Pataki Pezzetta Heffernan
Bulitka Graaskamp Wood
OA Forward

Capobianco/Import
Bourque/OA Defenceman
Duchesne/O'Grady
Mayo or another OA Defenceman as the 7th.

Timpano
Menna

Please feel free to debate about this! :P
were is silveri.:laugh:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Will be interesting to see how many drafted players will sign if Matos remains head coach? 5-29 since taking over from Fixter. Burgess is surely playing Russian Roulet here. Has anyone signed a card to date?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Matsos will remain head coach, and there will be no problem getting players to sign. Lot better position then they were in last year.

lets be real

Nov 26, 2014
I agree. Matsos will start the year with his own program and with a group of kids that want to play. They were a defeated bunch of kids when he took over. As far as Garigan over Carson, they both looked good at rookie Camp but in my opinion, Garigan was a standout

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Will be interesting to see how many drafted players will sign if Matos remains head coach? 5-29 since taking over from Fixter. Burgess is surely playing Russian Roulet here. Has anyone signed a card to date?

What makes you think it would even be an issue? Parents/Kids don't think like fans, they just want to get there, they've been working in some cases 10 years to get here, a coach isn't going to worry them.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
goodtimes you go on every teams threads an bash people's opinions without realizing that all these top prospects have a boatload of options as far as what to do with their careers.

Sure kids drafted in the later rounds of the drafts have less options and would be thrilled to sign with an OHL club, but top guys want to go to top programs, where they can get excellent exposure, the coaches have a ton of contacts in the hockey world as well as a history of developing players into pro qualities players.

Bottom line is, coaching, management, the organization as a whole does play a huge factor in a players decision to report to a given club.

As a former player, I can see both sides of it. Yes I agree some kids would be thrilled to go any where, but when dealing with elite talent, who the coach is, is a massive deal and if you can't comprehend this then it shows a lack of knowledge of the junior hockey world on your part.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
goodtimes you go on every teams threads an bash people's opinions without realizing that all these top prospects have a boatload of options as far as what to do with their careers.

Sure kids drafted in the later rounds of the drafts have less options and would be thrilled to sign with an OHL club, but top guys want to go to top programs, where they can get excellent exposure, the coaches have a ton of contacts in the hockey world as well as a history of developing players into pro qualities players.

Bottom line is, coaching, management, the organization as a whole does play a huge factor in a players decision to report to a given club.

As a former player, I can see both sides of it. Yes I agree some kids would be thrilled to go any where, but when dealing with elite talent, who the coach is, is a massive deal and if you can't comprehend this then it shows a lack of knowledge of the junior hockey world on your part.

Where am I bashing? If someone says something (like players wont report when there's no evidence of it) ill ask a question, like I did above. Im honestly curious why he'd think it would be an issue.

My kid has been through the draft, his friends have been through the draft, Ive personally seen and talk to parents in Ottawa and now Toronto because of it. I talk to my kids adviser, I like to think Ive got a pretty good handle on what kids thought processes are at 15.

Top kids have options, no doubt, as they should, Its stupid to throw away a $250,000 education from a top US school because a draft they have no say in tells them where to go, but 95 percent of the kids in Ontario don't have that option, that's why Ill add my thoughts when people suggest they should simply do what they are told, there 15 and should have a say in their future, especaily if they are walking away from a Michigan or Notre Dame.

It took my kid 3/4 years to get a D1 scholarship, and they are getting harder and harder to get as the US improves in its development of American players. My sons NCAA coach ran numbers and it's statistically easier to get in the OHL now then in D1. Any parent who thinks that they can get a D1 rull ride without being an elite 15 year old is in for an awakening (but I think most parents know that).

Most kids just want to play, they grow up watching the OHL, the OHL does an amazing job at selling itself in the minor midget year and they want to play with friends in the OHL. My kid would have gone had he had the talent to play at that level, but he didn't, he's very lucky he got another chance. Parents like me don't sit there and hyper analyse the coaches and their record, they want their kid in the O and are happy when it happens. We don't have the option to be picky about who the coach is. The complaining usually happens after they are in the O for 2/3 years.

Either way I'm not sure this is a conversation to have on here, DM me if you want, heck ill by you a beer at an OHL game and we can talk about it if you like, but my overall point is that for 95 percent of the 15/16, you just want to make the cut of an OHL team, you don't care who the coach is.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Tumble weeds :amazed:

Should hear news on the new assistant perhaps new gm scouts and signings of players this month :nod:

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Levin, Bulitka,Carson and Lane signed. Things looking up. News on new GM will come out shortly. Welcome to Sudbury.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Where does it say they signed? I read they were committed, two different senarios.

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Glass half full versus half empty. They have been on Twitter . All but Levin who is in Isreal.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
From the Sudbury Star:

The Sudbury Wolves moved to secure their future at forward Sunday, signing four of their top picks in the 2015 OHL Priority Selection.

First overall pick David Levin, second-rounders Shane Bulitka and Macauley Carson and third-rounder Owen Lane have committed to the local OHL club, the Wolves announced in a press release Sunday evening.

"With our top four players being selected in the top two rounds, it was important for the future success of our organization, to receive a commitment from each of our top prospects,†Wolves president Blaine Smith said in the release. "Each player has a unique skill set that has resulted in each player being an early selection in the priority selection. Each player has demonstrated that they are committed to developing into the best player that they can be through hard work and dedication.

“We are very pleased that these fine young players have decided that the Sudbury Wolves are their first choice and their next step to furthering their hockey careers."

Levin is a skilled playmaking forward, while Bulitka has also won praise for his vision and passing skills.

Carson is a physical, hard-hitting forward and Lane is lauded as a natural goal scorer.

The Wolves recently held a summer training session in Mississauga and Smith said they will take a close look at all their prospects.

"We are fortunate to have some very good players from past drafts as well as a number of free agents coming to our try-out camp this year,†he said. “Our players will realize that they have an excellent opportunity to play a leading role with a young team, but that will depend on their level of commitment and their individual performances at tryout camp."

The Wolves will open main training camp at Sudbury Community Arena on June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad