Subban Contract Talk VIII - Always darkest before the dawn...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Last season's GA On/60 5 on 5

PK ranked 219 out of 310 DMen in the NHL. Only Tinordi's and Frankie Bou's were worse.

I would not call that stellar defense.

Habs got a case.....i love Subban,i hope we can long term him..but he was gettin benched last yr....at 8-9 mill image..lol

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
**** Geoff Molson and the stupid way he spells his first name. And his **** beer. (No, seriously, I just got back from Czech, their beer is so much better than ours. Unbelievable.)

Their standard brews and pilsners are terrific and of much higher quality than Molson, and that goes for most Euro countries in my opinion.

Canada has fantastic microbrews, but yeah, Molson beer sucks. Hard. They are not even the standard of mediocre as far as I'm concerned. And it costs like actual ****ing liquid gold at the Bell Centre to boot.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I understand your reaction but don't sell PK short. He was informed of what it would be like going in and he's a smart guy.
It adds up, though. I love my job and told my employers in my interview that I didn't care about my salary. Which is true. But after a while, I could imagine if they kept coming down on me for reasons I didn't really agree with, it would make a difference. You can be informed, but a lack of respect and an uncomfortable environment builds. Being a smart guy isn't really a part of it. You want to be appreciated. I bet PK isn't feeling remotely appreciated right now. The interview clearly shows he has perspective, intelligence, and self-control. But somewhere under all that, I bet it rankles. If the arbitrator vindicates his side of things, though, I bet that helps. I hope the arbitrator really maxes things out on the PK side of the docket.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Oh boy...

Our team is starved for offense, so let's get rid of that guy on the back end who was our top scorer in the playoffs.

Is this for real?

In a perfect world where PK agreed to sign a long term deal, it would be a mistake.

But damn, PK demanded arbitration, got it, probably will continue to be a distraction for the Habs organization and he will need to be shopped for the best return possible.

Sucks for the Habs that he thinks he is in the same zip code as the two-time Cup winning Toews and Kane.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You don't think this is an issue?? It's going to be what everybody talks about ALL season. Strap yourself in.

That will be an issue only for those who really want to make it an issue. Mainly people who ordinarily do not have anything to do with sports.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Their standard brews and pilsners are terrific and of much higher quality than Molson, and that goes for most Euro countries in my opinion.

Canada has fantastic microbrews, but yeah, Molson beer sucks. Hard. They are not even the standard of mediocre as far as I'm concerned. And it costs like actual ****ing liquid gold at the Bell Centre to boot.
Urquell is magnificent for a mass-produced beer. And they also have the original, authentic Budweiser.

Last night at a friends house we had Moosehead, it tasted like garbage. And I used to like Moosehead :rant:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Being a part-time brewer myself....

Water is the key to Czech's Republic uniqueness of their Pilsners.

Well, that, and regular access to Saaz :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Urquell is magnificent for a mass-produced beer. And they also have the original, authentic Budweiser.

Last night at a friends house we had Moosehead, it tasted like garbage. And I used to like Moosehead :rant:

Perfect water for style + fresh Saaz will do that.

Even the Steam Whistle -- a perfectly-crafted Pilsner -- isn't as great due to those very two factors. Water can be tweaked. Hop freshness? Barely.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Urquell is good, but I have a slight preference for Czechvar. A bit more flavorful. Still think they're pretty close.

It's the difference between Subban and Emelin in Bergevin's eyes, essentially. :sarcasm:

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
This eventual one year deal seems to be a way for them to say "Let's agree to disagree, ans see if we can strike a deal next year". I just hope Subban won't hold any bad blood over this, because next time he'll have even more leverage.

Si j'ai bien compris, vous êtes en train de me dire : à la prochaine fois.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Being a part-time brewer myself....

Water is the key to Czech's Republic uniqueness of their Pilsners.

Well, that, and regular access to Saaz :)

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the tidbit, always nice to know more!

Hopefully we learn something half as potent about the contract offers soon enough. I JUST WANT TO KNOW NUMBERS!!!!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Holy crap, we have our own celebrity on the forum.

Ladies and gentleman, that's clearly Jon Snow above, because he knows nothing.

Havent seen you posting that much lately.

Good to see you around.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Yeah, I'm very disappointed by his interview. Educational process... bull****. He should have gone the "no comment" route if you ask me. PK seems to be a dick in negociation.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver had time on their side with both Luongo and Kesler. That turned out spectacular didn't it?

If someone is afraid to act simply because of fear and mistakes others made in the past, then that person is doomed to failure regardless.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the tidbit, always nice to know more!

Hopefully we learn something half as potent about the contract offers soon enough. I JUST WANT TO KNOW NUMBERS!!!!

Also the fact that the "craft" culture is much more present in their macros than in ours.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Add in media pressure, who will surely make this an issue.
Add in the racial aspect.
Add in that we're screwed without him.
Add in that he's just such a genuinely likeable and sociable guy off-ice that we'll have ZERO sympathy from the outside.
Add in that we'd surely get boned in a trade.
Add in our RFA situation next year + Subban's next contract negotiations.

Add in that this was entirely preventable.

**** Bergevin
**** the Bridge-Deal crowd.
**** Geoff Molson and the stupid way he spells his first name. And his **** beer. (No, seriously, I just got back from Czech, their beer is so much better than ours. Unbelievable.)

Well, duh, of course if you drink Molson, anything else will taste better. We do have great beers in Quebec. Just chill out and enjoy a good pint or two of La Fin du Monde.

Other than that, yeah, I agree with the rest of your post.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
This eventual one year deal seems to be a way for them to say "Let's agree to disagree, ans see if we can strike a deal next year". I just hope Subban won't hold any bad blood over this, because next time he'll have even more leverage.

Si j'ai bien compris, vous êtes en train de me dire : à la prochaine fois.

Supposing this scenario you propose is indeed of merit, the end result would in all likelihood see Subban sitting in an even more comfortable seat during next season's negotiations.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-bergevin--montreal-canadiens--211012830.html
But let’s look at what Bergevin’s managed to do in his negotiations with Subban:

- Kept his cap hit at $2.875 million for the last two seasons with that bridge contract, avoiding a potential cap calamity in 2013-14 when the ceiling dropped to $64.3 million.

- Kept him with two RFA years remaining at the end of that contract, which means two more cracks at short-term deals or a long-term extension, with arbitration in his hip pocket. (Although P.K. filed this time.)

- Managed to avoid handing out an elephantine contract before its time, with both Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk coming off their rookie deals next summer.

From a nuts-and-bolts, taking what the CBA gives you perspective, what Bergevin’s done here so far is fine. And barring a miracle in which the sides decide on a long-term deal, he’ll save even more on Subban for next season when the arbitration ruling comes down, as well as in the long run. (Andrew Berkshire has done some great analysis on that last point.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad