Subban Contract Talk VIII - Always darkest before the dawn...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You bet we will be.

Look at the impact Vanek had on this team at the end of the regular season.

Sucked for the Habs that he decided to take a vacation during the playoffs.

This team is starved for offense. PK is just an average DMan looking strictly at defense.

Oh boy...

Our team is starved for offense, so let's get rid of that guy on the back end who was our top scorer in the playoffs.

Is this for real?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You can trade Eller+ 1st round pick + Tinordi or Beaulieu for a good d-man.

Right, and which team out there has a good D available that would be worthy selling that youth? No good team will give up their top D, not many bad teams have good D.

In fact, it's actually realistic to assume that's the type of return Subban would fetch. :laugh:

Peonica99

Apr 25, 2014
Example,

Islanders or Oilers land first over all pick...Habs offer them PK Subban....do they make the deal?

Islanders' first belongs to Buffalo next season.
And if you are bad enough to get 1st overall, getting PK probably won't make you a SC contender.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Example,

Islanders or Oilers land first over all pick...Habs offer them PK Subban....do they make the deal?

Without either team getting a guarantee he would re-sign long term I don't see either team doing that deal for potentially 1 season of PK Subban.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
You bet we will be.

Look at the impact Vanek had on this team at the end of the regular season.

Sucked for the Habs that he decided to take a vacation during the playoffs.

This team is starved for offense. PK is just an average DMan looking strictly at defense.

Holy crap, we have our own celebrity on the forum.

Ladies and gentleman, that's clearly Jon Snow above, because he knows nothing.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
None of these assets are core player. If you move Subban for a forward you need a d-man to replace him and it's a way to do it. You will still have Pateryn, one of Beaulieu and Tinordi and Nygren as d prospects.

First off, Subban is part of the core. Second, Bergevin stated that Eller is part of the team's core last week after his 4 year deal. And Beaulieu/Tinordi will be part of the core long term. There's no guarantee that you'll get a guy as good as PK with that package. Eller+ might get you Green but other than that...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Lets look at the trade with the highest level of hysteria.

Patrick Roy. You are correct. He was traded almost immediately after the fiasco.

Bergevin has time on his side with PK.

Huge difference.

OK, back to hysteria......

Vancouver had time on their side with both Luongo and Kesler. That turned out spectacular didn't it?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dammmmmmn... PK says all the right things, as usual. But I don't think we needed him feeling all educated and whatnot about the business side of things. Him wearing his heart on his sleeve and living and dying for the CH was worth some $$$. I don't get anything but more pessimism out of this video... :(

I understand your reaction but don't sell PK short. He was informed of what it would be like going in and he's a smart guy.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Islanders' first belongs to Buffalo next season.
And if you are bad enough to get 1st overall, getting PK probably won't make you a SC contender.

well i never said what year,but ....

There comes a point in teams cycle like the Blue Jackets,Fla, and Oilers etc, you draft high for a long time ,and still suck...so adding a top flight to your roster now can make the world of diff.

I think if Habs offered Subban to Buffalo , and they ended up with the Islanders pick at first over all.....they give it up for Subban ....

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Add in media pressure, who will surely make this an issue.
Add in the racial aspect.
Add in that we're screwed without him.
Add in that he's just such a genuinely likeable and sociable guy off-ice that we'll have ZERO sympathy from the outside.
Add in that we'd surely get boned in a trade.
Add in our RFA situation next year + Subban's next contract negotiations.

Add in that this was entirely preventable.

**** Bergevin
**** the Bridge-Deal crowd.
**** Geoff Molson and the stupid way he spells his first name. And his **** beer. (No, seriously, I just got back from Czech, their beer is so much better than ours. Unbelievable.)

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Philly made an offer to Nashville before they submitted an offer sheet (or right after). I was illustrating that said offer did not include premium assets like Grioux or Couturier. Even if the team was confident they could re-sign him, they are not going to give up a king's ransom when they can simply wait two years and try to sign him for nothing.

There were plenty of teams interested in Seguin. He still did not return nearly as much as anticipated.
You have a valid point that Philly wasn't willing to offer a premium package but you can also say that following the Carter/Richards moves, they weren't ready to build a new core up front from scratch.

As for Seguin, he had some good seasons and the draft pedigree but I believe Subban is more prove. Also there were the 'character' issues with Seguin (night life, twitter, etc.)

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
PK seemed very pissed in his interview. Not looking good for next summer. He might just accept his qualifying offer, and gtfo the following summer.

I'm looking forward to learn what offers were on the table.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
From an outsider's perspective, if Bergevin and co. really don't see Subban as a franchise-caliber #1D, they are better off trading him as soon as possible to someone who does. I can't understand why they woudln't' see him in that light, but it is really the only thing that makes any of this make any kind of sense.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Add in media pressure, who will surely make this an issue.
Add in the racial aspect.
Add in that we're screwed without him.
Add in that he's just such a genuinely likeable and sociable guy off-ice that we'll have ZERO sympathy from the outside.

Add in that this was entirely preventable.

**** Bergevin
**** the Bridge-Deal crowd.
**** Geoff Molson and the stupid way he spells his first name. And his **** beer. (No, seriously, I just got back from Czech, their beer is so much better than ours. Unbelievable.)

... WTF, really?!?!
(Did somebody seriously brought this up as a factor?)

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
From an outsider's perspective, if Bergevin and co. really don't see Subban as a franchise-caliber #1D, they are better off trading him as soon as possible to someone who does. I can't understand why they woudln't' see him in that light, but it is really the only thing that makes any of this make any kind of sense.

This is what most are scared of. I think I'd be done if it were to end like this.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
4 years with multiple years of distractions and drama vs 5 years without drama outside the final year where there's a higher chance of re-sign since the relationship did go through multiple bad negotiations.

the only drama I see/hear about is from fans.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Yes, maybe that is where things have to go. It is quite possible Meehan/Subban doesn't even want to seriously negotiate a 8-year deal, because they can't maximum his life-long earnings that way.

Yes... so what happens then ?
They could negotiate a shorter-term deal that covers fewer UFA years. Problem is that buying 1 UFA year makes no sense, and buying 2 UFA years makes PK a UFA the same year as the Habs' other star player. So I have to think that the Habs would want to go a minimum of 3 UFA years (5 years from now overall).

I am not sure the rest of your reply was serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad