Subban Contract Talk VIII - Always darkest before the dawn...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He's not gonna.

One year deal, then he asks for max contact (~14.3m) and Habs balk. He walks. End of story.

Thank the bridge deal.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I was supporting Bergevin yesterday thinking a deal would get done, but this is stupid. Does he honestly think Subban will sign for cheaper next year? I don't get it...

TeamlessWatcher

Mar 13, 2008
This situation is very frustrating.

Something people fail to mention : Not a lot of players WANT to play in a pressure cooker like MTL. PK not only wants to, he excels at it. The taxes are also huge in Quebec so of course PK is seeking a big contract after doing great in MTL.

If the team screws this up I am done honestly. PK is miles away the best skater we've had a long a time (Markov is good but IMO not as electric and never has been; Price is up there but that's 1 person). That's it. Otherwise we had decent players, some talent, but nothing close to Subban.

The fact that this deal didn't get easily signed way earlier is just sad and leaves me wondering what the hell the organization is thinking.

PernellKarl76

Apr 7, 2008
What would his trade value even be as an impending UFA in two years time?

I picture a Vanek/Garth Snow 2.0 as the worst case scenario

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
I was supporting Bergevin yesterday thinking a deal would get done, but this is stupid. Does he honestly think Subban will sign for cheaper next year? I don't get it...

Yes, Habs are in a terrible situation here; their position will be much weaker next year.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Yes, Habs are in a terrible situation here; their position will be much weaker next year.

I mean, lets say Subban wanted something crazy, like $2 million per year more than what Bergevin wanted to give. At the end of the day, his price only goes up. The other alternative is to trade/lose him, which is insane... Ugh, this is going to eat up so much focus and energy this year :S

Oct 22, 2012
Great now I'm going to have to go home, and try to explain how NHL contracts work so I can ***** at the gf about it.

This calls for a lot of the stick icky.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I mean, lets say Subban wanted something crazy, like $2 million per year more than what Bergevin wanted to give. At the end of the day, his price only goes up. The other alternative is to trade/lose him, which is insane... Ugh, this is going to eat up so much focus and energy this year :S

Not if PK has the worst year of his career and we miss the playoffs. :laugh:

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Gotta say I don't get it either. You should just get your best player signed, period. There's no really excuses not to, and it will NOT be better next year.

PernellKarl76

Apr 7, 2008
Someone needs to leak Subban's contract demands

There has to be some context to this that the public isn't aware of

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Is it that hard to just say "We both want an 8 year deal, you want this much, I'd rather pay you this much" and then meet somewhere in the middle?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Not sure how Vergebin sees the team better without Subban... Because that's pretty much where it's going right now.

Magic33

Feb 5, 2008
MTL
Few things here:

1) a lot of people are jumping the gun without knowing all the facts. We don't know what the Habs have offered on a long term deal, and we dont know what PK is asking for on a long term deal. Also, does PK love to play here? sure ... as far as we know. maybe he doesnt want a long term deal here?

2) From what i've seen with Bergy at the helm so far, i trust him enough to think that, if there was a reasonable offer on the table (8 years x 7.5-8.5 million), this would be a done deal. again, who knows what PK is asking for. if its 12 million a year, can you blame Bergy for trying to knock that number down?

3) if he signs a 1 year deal, i think relationships are broken and i think we need to move him, because the risk of letting PK go for nothing is way too high.

4) I am a huge PK fan.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Bergevin handing mid season extensions like candy to scrubs like emelin bouillon and desharnais. And yet here we are with the franchise player.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
That's a good point. This contract was pretty much do or die, and it looks like we're dying.

Yes, exactly. This coming year will reify the value of the Rogers deal as it relates to HRR (providing a hard number for the following season, and better projections past that), and give Meehan and co. good evidence for their case that PK's salary should increase x% per year. Also, a chance for PK to prove his consistency, adding a year of service and numbers to his resume, increasing the base asking price per year.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Jeff O'Neill:

I've been to arbitration. First thought walking out >>>> I never want to play for that team again.

Didn't Michael Ryder go 3 times to arbitration while in Montréal?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'd take 10 mil and under easy. 11 is pushing it. 12 is probably my limit. After 10 is when I stop faulting Bergevin and start faulting Subban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad