TSN: Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
All the finger pointing at Dreger here is funny. He has made it clear again and again that if it were his choice, Subban would be on the team. He is simply reporting what he is hearing from the big wigs at the team Canada camp.

Mark my words, Subban will not be on the team at Sochi.....and he will no longer be a Hab for the 2014-2015 season. You heard it here first. :nod:

Marked.

I'd be shocked if he's not a Hab next season.
I'm pretty sure he will get the confirmation that he's going to be part of Team Canada around the same time he signs his new contract.
So December.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
They claim that people play their way onto these squads, and that they're not just a popularity contest among the Team Canada brass, but if that were true, a guy winning a Norris and being among the top defensemen in the following season wouldn't be talked about as someone who is on the "outside looking in".

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
that all depends on what the return is....

Like claude giroux? Come on, we have no one to replace subban if we were to trade him, and there is actually no defenseman except for maybe, maybe pietrangelo that would be worth trading him for.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Well let's get this straight none other than the acknowledged top authority on hockey talent, Darren "The Dullard" Dreger is calling the picks for Steve Yzerman + Team Canada. When pig's fly perhaps, any guy that let's his mother dress him at his age, shouldn't! Moreover the padded shoulders in his suits, doesn't help hide the lifts in his shoes. As a sports reporter, I believe his job is reporting news not creating it. Assuming creative writing is his forte doesn't fly for sports fans that are waiting for opinions from people with actual credentials in the hockey world.(Hockey players, Coaches, GM's, Professional Scouts, etc.) Mr. Dreger might be well advised to adhere to reporting the news in the future, instead of running his mouth about last season's Norris Trophy winner and how he feels about him. That's not news Mr. Dreger and I for one don't care about your opinion thank you very much.:shakehead

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
They claim that people play their way onto these squads, and that they're not just a popularity contest among the Team Canada brass, but if that were true, a guy winning a Norris and being among the top defensemen in the following season wouldn't be talked about as someone who is on the "outside looking in".

Crosby had 102 points as a rookie in the 2005-06 season, yet didn't make the team in 2006. It is absolutely a popularity contest among the Team Canada brass.

Honestly I envy the way Team USA builds their roster, along with their whole youth development system. Jones got invited to their camp before even playing his first NHL game. Galchenyuk got invited after only 48 games. While he isn't guaranteed a spot on the roster, if he outplays American veterans, he will be on the roster.

WC shootout: 19 year old rookie is sent out to take 2 attempts with everything on the line.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Like claude giroux? Come on, we have no one to replace subban if we were to trade him, and there is actually no defenseman except for maybe, maybe pietrangelo that would be worth trading him for.

I just meant if a team wanted him so badly they would send the habs a crazy package, id be ok with trading him.

It would really have to blow my socks off though....

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I find it interesting that Babcock said he thinks it's important to have good Left-Right balance on defense yet Detroit rolls 8 left shooting d-men.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I personally think Subban is Canada's best defenseman, but he certainly has competition for that title... that said, I just don't see how anybody in the universe wouldn't count him amongst the best 5, say.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
BX6Q2ICCAAAiGrQ.jpg:large

So risky...!

(Protip, take a look at where most of the shots come from when Subban (RD) is on the ice)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Coded language is nothing new in sports. It's easy to be skeptical, but when you hear the same exact complaints every time about black QBs, Afro-Caribbean baseball players, black hockey players, and even basketball players, there's reason to be skeptical. It's always that they are athletically gifted and flashy while criticizing their discipline and mental approach to the game, and accusing them of not working as hard as their peers.

I don't think it's the only thing going against Subban - he plays for a Habs team that the media can be irrationally against (both the Toronto-centric Canadian media and the anti-Canadian America media), not to mention a Habs team that's easy to pick on for being unexceptional for the past decade. Subban also doesn't conform in other ways to the humble, Canadian farmboy ideal that Canadian hockey is still obsessed with. And some of it is Subban's own fault, since he does make high profile blunders.

But when you hear Subban be marginalized for the same weaknesses that guys like Letang have, while offering even more upside, there's reasons to be skeptical. What exactly is it that Letang offers that Subban does not?

Well said...

Subban is the only Team Canada hopeful who has an active campaign AGAINST him being part of Team Canada.

I find it ridiculous how this guy is CONSTANTLY targeted in the media, even his own team don't respect him.

Yet we NEVER hear Subban say anything disparaging about anyone, even when he's attacked personally by a guy like Mike Richards, he always takes the high road.

Subban's only problem is that he's supremely gifted, he's one, if not the top player at his position...in a sport that is not yet ready to accept a superstar who doesn't fit the typical mold of what a hockey player is.

At this point, I don't even want PK Subban on Team Canada...I don't think they deserve him if that's the attitude they're taking. They're making every excuse in the world to not have him in Sochi.

I've realized that it doesn't matter what PK Subban does, whether he wins a Norris, leads the lead in points for defensman, plays stellar defense, is an exceptional teamate...etc....a large group of people in hockey (which includes fans, media, members of the hockey fraternity -players, coaches, executives) just aren't comfortable with a black superstar.

Please spare me the diatribe that it's not about race when it's at the very core of this campaign against PK Subban...and as a minority, i'm sick & tired of having to ignore the elephant in the room because people can't deal with the truth.

Church!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I personally think Subban is Canada's best defenseman, but he certainly has competition for that title... that said, I just don't see how anybody in the universe wouldn't count him amongst the best 5, say.

It's easy really...when you don't want him there for reasons that have absolutely NOTHING to do with what he does on the ice. You make up excuses and reasons, that only apply to Subban, to hide the real reasons why you don't want him on the team.

Drew Dougthy can hold out for a better contract, be a -4 on the night and look absolutely terrible...and no one would ever quesition his place amongst the league's elite or on Team Canada.

Meanwhile, PK Subban has to play a flawless game 82 games out of 82 games and even then...it still wouldn't be enough.

Honestly...this sickens me.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
It's easy really...when you don't want him there for reasons that have absolutely NOTHING to do with what he does on the ice. You make up excuses and reasons, that only apply to Subban, to hide the real reasons why you don't want him on the team.

Drew Dougthy can hold out for a better contract, be a -4 on the night and look absolutely terrible...and no one would ever quesition his place amongst the league's elite or on Team Canada.

Meanwhile, PK Subban has to play a flawless game 82 games out of 82 games and even then...it still wouldn't be enough.

Honestly. I try to keep my self away from saying that it's because of the color of his skin. But when the Norris Trophy winner is a 'LONG SHOT' from making Team Canada... it's either because Boyle has friends in high places... or because of the aforementioned race.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Yet we NEVER hear Subban say anything disparaging about anyone, even when he's attacked personally by a guy like Mike Richards, he always takes the high road.

"Hopefully someone on their team addresses it, because, uh, I'm not saying I'm going to do it but something might happen to him of he continues to be that cocky."

:laugh::laugh:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Dreger relies on tantalizing speculation to try to keep looking like an insider.

I think Subban makes it as a 6-7 and PP guy and works his way up the lineup.

That said, he could be left off. Team Canada is leery of bringing in too many guys without men's national experience. They left off Stamkos in the middle of his first 50 goal season. I still think it was a mistake, but we won anyway...

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria

Yep. Don't understand it but it infuriates, I don't know what he did to deserve all the hate from the hockey world. I just see pk as a really good defenseman who's extremely dedicated to improving himself, I guess I must be wrong, considering every news outlet ***** on him when he sneezes.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Honestly. I try to keep my self away from saying that it's because of the color of his skin. But when the Norris Trophy winner is a 'LONG SHOT' from making Team Canada... it's either because Boyle has friends in high places... or because of the aforementioned race.

Agreed...I hate as a minority 'playing the race card' but really, how can anyone plausibly deny this?

I know some of you will just think i'm pulling out the race card and really, I don't care...I find the way Subban is viewed completely offensive as a minority and i'm sick of reading/hearing people cower away from the real reasons as to why he's CONSTANTLY criticized.

I give massive amounts of respect to Subban because he never, ever, responds to this...he could easily say something and I wouldn't blame him in the least, but he always takes the high road.

Years from now, when the dinosaurs in hockey will have moved on and the rest of the NHL will have caught up with the rest of society progressiveness...he'll be looked upon as a pioneer.

Sorry for the rant...but i'm pissed this morning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad