TSN: Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
If Subban isn't on the team, I fire MT immediately!

how the **** does that make any sense? like babcock would chose his players based on other coaches use of players and not his own evaluation of them.

are you for real?

edit: this blaming therrien for Subban's ills is getting beyond absurd

Last edited:

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
If it's true, Team Canada are idiots.

But it might not be, Dreger is just a shill for Dave Nonis at this point. I'm just surprised he didn't say Phaneuf is ahead of Subban for Team Canada.

pretty much, dreger has always been and will continue to be biased towards the leafs.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Well... if it's true... Can't wait to see how Subban will react to this on the ice. Gotta prove them wrong again I guess...

can't wait :nod:

Pretty hard to overrate a 25+ min/game defenseman with his size and skating who hasn't missed a single game in, like, a decade.

that's part of why he's overrated. not that great defensively, not that good offensively, big but isn't physical, but he can log tons of minutes - which i find an overrated quality unless you just happen to be excellent both ways (pronger et cetera).

canada is gonna have 6 all-stars on the blueline plus more sitting in the pressbox, i don't think getting a guy who can eat minutes from the ****** third pair is a priority. i would think...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Won't be surprised if PK goes on a tear and makes it near impossible to scratch him.

As much as I believe there's a lot of racism involved in the hate for PK, I don't think race is the reason but at the same time I think it's the speculation that he's a cancer in the room (fueled by reports that are 2 to 3/5 racist) that might be playing a part.

Either way, I never cheer for Canada but if Price starts I'll have no choice. He more or less has to win or it'll be a nightmare on here.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Won't be surprised if PK goes on a tear and makes it near impossible to scratch him.

As much as I believe there's a lot of racism involved in the hate for PK, I don't think race is the reason but at the same time I think it's the speculation that he's a cancer in the room (fueled by reports that are 2 to 3/5 racist) that might be playing a part.

Either way, I never cheer for Canada but if Price starts I'll have no choice. He more or less has to win or it'll be a nightmare on here.

meh, just dont watch/listen to known idiots... most dont doubt him cause he's black, only cause he's on the Habs and is "flashy".

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
We've seen Team Canada make mistakes before and this would be another one. Esp on that big ice surface the guy would be absolutely amazing.

I think I posted this yesterday but I'll post it again. If he doesn't make it I'll be upset - not as a Canadiens fan - but as a fan of Team Canada.

Dirk Graham made it over Steve Yzerman. :laugh:. I would not be surprised if he's left off.

If you follow how he's used under MT you would have to think Subban's a liability defensively if you hadn't seen his 2 years before MT took over.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't believe Letang should be a head of him. Boyle I wouldn't be too upset about if he's ahead of him. Boyle is really good.

Letang is just as terrible, if not more so than Subban defensively.

Where is this, Subban is terrible defensively coming from, this isn't Jr anymore. Subban's GA/On vs Subban's Off is remarkably good, likewise, so is his GF/On vs his GF/Off and it gets better the more he plays.

Samething for possession, the SF/SA are always in Subban's favor, sometimes hugely, like last year.

I admit, he may not be very aesthetically pleasing to some, but in a results oriented business, he gets better results than nearly everyone ahead of him.

MT has furthered the Subban can't play defense narrative. IMO, it's a complete pile hogwash. You look at the pk, when we were tops in the league, PK was a main contributor, his GA/60 minutes of pk time was outstanding. The results staggeringly work against him not being a good PKer, in fact, he was our best.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Subban is a much better option than Boyle and at the same level of Letang.

If it comes down to them choosing Letang over Subban because they want just one of that type of defenseman, I can live with it. If Letang is in and Boyle gets the nod over Subban, I'll flip a desk.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
wow some of you have some Habs color glasses on. I love Subban as much as any of you but I can see his faults.

He needs to make smarter plays on the ice IMO. His play needs to be different based on the team he is playing and the score in the game. The game vs the stars for example. The Habs were up by 1 goal and there he is making a rush and he ends up deep in the stars zone and gets stuck when the puck goes the other way. Im also seeing him get caught pinchng down the boards alot lately.

He justs needs to play smarter....

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
An argument can maybe be made for Letang but Boyle is hurt and slowing down, it would take a lot for him to pass Subban on the dept chart.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
An argument can maybe be made for Letang but Boyle is hurt and slowing down, it would take a lot for him to pass Subban on the dept chart.

I just don't see any argument for letang, pk is literally better than him in every facet of the game and not only that but letang is also injury prone. He is one of the worst defenseman in the defensive zone, if we really needed a pp qb than i could understand but we really don't need one.

Fifthgear

Nov 15, 2007
Montréal
I don´t write much but t i had to do it, i´m mad like hell with this nonsense against him, not only Subban should be invited but he should be in the 4 starting defensemen of team Canada.

He´s the kind of guy that all teams would want in his team but hate like hell when you don´t have him and play against him.

So what the conspenrency/hate with this guy, he´s like this or like that, he´s the best player the Canadiens have had since Guy Lafleur.

If for some reason P.K is traded from the Canadiens, Bye bye Canadiens i´m gone and if team Canada doesn’t take him well i will write something that people are scared of saying and it´s maybe a case of r.....m, yes i said it r.....m, fill in the blanks.

Holy crap, he´s the trophy Norris of last year.

I´m really pissed … :rant:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
wow some of you have some Habs color glasses on. I love Subban as much as any of you but I can see his faults.

He needs to make smarter plays on the ice IMO. His play needs to be different based on the team he is playing and the score in the game. The game vs the stars for example. The Habs were up by 1 goal and there he is making a rush and he ends up deep in the stars zone and gets stuck when the puck goes the other way. Im also seeing him get caught pinchng down the boards alot lately.

He justs needs to play smarter....

So every time we're up by 1 goal he needs to stop pinching? Funny, I remember everybody whining about Martin's system because he would tell our players to retreat whenever we had the lead.

Getting caught happens to every Dman out there, even at untimely moments. It's called a mistake, but when it's PK, they're considered flaws, it's ridiculous.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yet another proof that so-called "experts" simply aren't.

So the ''real'' experts are saying a 37yo injured player that hasn't played a game in 2 weeks due to concussion who's got 2pts is ahead of the Norris winner that's yet again leading the NHL in pts for Dman (tied)? That makes sense to you?

These ''real'' experts have been wrong time and time again, even Team Canada have been wrong in selecting players before.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
When was the last time a league leading in scoring for defemceman who just won a Norris, didn't make the Olympic team?

To boot, he's probably one of the quickest and most capable of handling a larger ice surface.

It would be a travesty if he didn't make the team.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just thought people would like to know that TSN had another discussion tonight about the projected Team Canada team at the olympics, and according to Dreger, Subban is too high risk of a player for the team, and that he's behind Dan Boyle and Kris Letang on the depth chart. If anyone wants to check out the video its on the TSN homepage.

On 690 last week they said Team Canada is a stickler for precise rightier, leftie matchup in short tournaments. He has some good righties ahead of him. But figured Subban would get in because of Norris and start to this year.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
So every time we're up by 1 goal he needs to stop pinching? Funny, I remember everybody whining about Martin's system because he would tell our players to retreat whenever we had the lead.

Getting caught happens to every Dman out there, even at untimely moments. It's called a mistake, but when it's PK, they're considered flaws, it's ridiculous.

Im not saying a full retreat when they are up by 1 goal, I am saying dont get caught.

You can call it a mistake but when it happens regularly, its a flaw IMO. He needs to be smarter if he wants to be on the Olympic team.

Fifthgear

Nov 15, 2007
Montréal
When was the last time a league leading in scoring for defemceman who just won a Norris, didn't make the Olympic team?

To boot, he's probably one of the quickest and most capable of handling a larger ice surface.

It would be a travesty if he didn't make the team.

Travesty 2000% agree

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Kevin Weekes giving Subban some love on NHL Network. He says PK would make the PP deadly. However, he's got him 7-8 D. :huh:

Weber-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Letang
Keith-Seabrook
Subban-Bouwmeester

Good praise for Price, too.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Yzerman was my favorite player growing up. But he doesn't have the brightest track record as a GM, especially when it comes to identifying talent in his defensemen.

Picks Hedman instead of Duchene.
Picks Drouin instead of Jones.
Now this BS? To even bring up Dan Boyle's name in a debate about Subban should be considered a felony.

The biggest argument Dregger can come up with is Subban's risky play. Please enlighten me in how Boyle and Letang are better defensively than Subban? And when it comes to offensive capabilities, Subban is ahead of both of them. Boyle has played behind Thornton and Marleau for the longest time, and Letang has played behind the 2 best centers in the league over his career.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
All the finger pointing at Dreger here is funny. He has made it clear again and again that if it were his choice, Subban would be on the team. He is simply reporting what he is hearing from the big wigs at the team Canada camp.

Mark my words, Subban will not be on the team at Sochi.....and he will no longer be a Hab for the 2014-2015 season. You heard it here first. :nod:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
meh, just dont watch/listen to known idiots... most dont doubt him cause he's black, only cause he's on the Habs and is "flashy".

Coded language is nothing new in sports. It's easy to be skeptical, but when you hear the same exact complaints every time about black QBs, Afro-Caribbean baseball players, black hockey players, and even basketball players, there's reason to be skeptical. It's always that they are athletically gifted and flashy while criticizing their discipline and mental approach to the game, and accusing them of not working as hard as their peers.

I don't think it's the only thing going against Subban - he plays for a Habs team that the media can be irrationally against (both the Toronto-centric Canadian media and the anti-Canadian America media), not to mention a Habs team that's easy to pick on for being unexceptional for the past decade. Subban also doesn't conform in other ways to the humble, Canadian farmboy ideal that Canadian hockey is still obsessed with. And some of it is Subban's own fault, since he does make high profile blunders.

But when you hear Subban be marginalized for the same weaknesses that guys like Letang have, while offering even more upside, there's reasons to be skeptical. What exactly is it that Letang offers that Subban does not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->