Stupid Crap CBC HNIC Says RE: Habs

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
RDS, play by play is alright, even if Houde still does not understand the tactic of a player tipping a slap pass from just past the red line to avoid an icing, so that they can change the players on the ice. He always says it is a missed pass.., really? Still after all these years?

That said, it is much better than Pedneault and Brunet years. Any hockey analysis between periods or after the game though, well...that isn't good at all.

CBC... Cole does not now the players or the stories. Healey does not do his homework and just acts like a bully who is improvising 100% of the time. Stock, is the lesser of the evils.

TSN is the best broadcast, hands down. Play by play and intermissions.

I used to like Houde a lot more but now he never actually does play by play, he's more interested in telling his stupid stories while the play goes on.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Even the Satellite Hotstove, when Al Strachan and John Davidson, etc. were on , were better than current format.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Even the Satellite Hotstove, when Al Strachan and John Davidson, etc. were on , were better than current format.

It's true, I used to hate Strachan but even he is better than the clowns they have now except for Friedman and Weeks. I used to like Ron Mclean to but now he is pretty insufferable.

Cherry is Cherry, entertaining like listening to an old racist, sexist, uncle that you love.

Bob Cole is a living legend. I don't care if he gets players names wrong or is behind the play, I am watching the game and know what's going on and don't need the announcer to tell me. I enjoy the sound of his voice and he makes games better with his excitement, when he retires I will definitely miss him. "Everything is happening" was magical and he has a lot of moments like that, oh baby!

Healy is just the worst person ever. Stock is close but even he isn't Debbie Downer like Glenn is, except against the Habs I guess.

It's a shame because HNIC used to be a great institution that focused on all Canadian teams, now it is dying a slow death and they have no one to blame but themselves and their Leafcentric cheerleading. I look forward to TSN outbidding them for it, the bias will always be there for the Leafs but at least they are fairer about it than CBC and know more about the NHL than just the Bruins or the blue and white.

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
Some (but not close to all) things HNIC sucks because of:
- Craig Simpson aka "Simmer" (terribad)
- Don Cherry (self-explanatory)
- Healy thinking he a) knows the game b) sounds smart c) is witty with analogies; as well as his analysis of anything
- Ron Mclean going from a sharp pun master and general encyclopedia to mediator of the idiot club
- PJ stock: existing
- Milbury (well at least he's gone now)

I'll never forgive them for dropping the opening intro music (over a few bucks). It seems so strange to hear it on TSN.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You guys have to be crazy. Strachan was a straight up liar. Only thing entertaining was him being called on it.

I guess people forget him making up player coach issues just so he would have something to talk about.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Isn't Stock on RDS sometimes?

Stock is brutal on RDS -- his limited vocabulary and continuous word-mangling, turn him into a parody of himself.

A Stock classic from a couple of years ago: “Louis Leblanc est un kid localeâ€

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Scotty Bowman John Davidson Don Cherry Howie Meeker Brian Mcfarlane Red Fisher in their prime.Danney Galivan Dick Irvin.Even for a very short time Bobby Hull and Bobby Orr all on HNIC NOW THAT WAS CLASSIC

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
should have seen last Saturday's match when the leafs face Ottawa. Healey was commenting as CBC ran clips of Morgan Reilly. Some player blew by Reilly and had a scoring chance, Healey said Reilly was in good position, then Reilly barely touch an Ottawa player in the corner, Healey said Reilly came in with a hit and being physical. Healey then rant how Reilly was going to be a superstar in the league. I feel bad cuz what I say on tv was not what Healey was saying. The kid is young, he'll make mistakes and only time will tell. Reilly finished the game with -3 and was on the ice for all the Leafs goals against.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
should have seen last Saturday's match when the leafs face Ottawa. Healey was commenting as CBC ran clips of Morgan Reilly. Some player blew by Reilly and had a scoring chance, Healey said Reilly was in good position, then Reilly barely touch an Ottawa player in the corner, Healey said Reilly came in with a hit and being physical. Healey then rant how Reilly was going to be a superstar in the league. I feel bad cuz what I say on tv was not what Healey was saying. The kid is young, he'll make mistakes and only time will tell. Reilly finished the game with -3 and was on the ice for all the Leafs goals against.

Rielly had a bad game for sure, but that's the way some of these guys work. Instead of telling you something about the play they state a position and distort the description of the play to fit what they want their message to be.

I get a kick out of Cherry's illustrations. He'll have a clip of some random play that happens 100 times a game and tries to make it out like he's teaching you something.

"See kids, look here, the defenseman gets the puck and he passes to another guy see and the other guy has the puck now, see that , I've always told you kids to pass it to the other guy and that's what the good guys do, and that's the way you're supposed to do it". [dumb smile and thumb up]

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Rielly had a bad game for sure, but that's the way some of these guys work. Instead of telling you something about the play they state a position and distort the description of the play to fit what they want their message to be.

I get a kick out of Cherry's illustrations. He'll have a clip of some random play that happens 100 times a game and tries to make it out like he's teaching you something.

"See kids, look here, the defenseman gets the puck and he passes to another guy see and the other guy has the puck now, see that , I've always told you kids to pass it to the other guy and that's what the good guys do, and that's the way you're supposed to do it". [dumb smile and thumb up]

The only things on which I agree with Cherry are:

1) Bobby Orr was the greatest.

2) Players who go back to their end boards to prevent an icing call should be protected against being hit from behind when they're in a helpless position.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
I love Bob Cole's voice and the excitement he brings to calling the game.I can live with his mistakes.

Hughson may be top dog when getting players name right, but his monotone voice puts me to sleep.

Hughson is not top dog for getting players' names right. The next time he pronounces a French-Canadian name correctly will still be the first time; e.g., his "Booooo--leeeeon" for Bouillon and he butchers Ouellette (or Ouellet, depending where you're from) along with just about everything else. I mean, Parisé is not an Italian name, no matter what the homers on TSN and SN think.

For one who gets it right is Paul Romaniuk. Too bad what TSN did to him.

Last edited:

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I used to like Houde a lot more but now he never actually does play by play, he's more interested in telling his stupid stories while the play goes on.

:) that made me think of the horrible boxing coverage RDS has offered since it's inception.

"Merci Madame Brossard pour nos envoyer ces manifique biscuits!"
"Elle est a mancher pour veiller tard!" = talking about ring girl... (sorry for spelling)

In fact....I have never heard a french broadcast of anything but local boxing that was any good. They always spend their time promoting local boxing and telling personal stories instead of commenting on the actual fight, and describing the division internationally.

Chartrand and Michel need to have a show about local boxing, and leave international matches to people who comment on the fight they are televising.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hughson is not top dog for getting players' names right. The next time he pronounces a French-Canadian name correctly will still be the first time; e.g., his "Booooo--leeeeon" for Bouillon and he butchers Ouellette (or Ouellet, depending where you're from) along with just about everything else. I mean, Parisé is not an Italian name, no matter what the homers on TSN and SN think.

For one who gets it right is Paul Romaniuk. Too bad what TSN did to him.
What did happen to Romanuk? He was very good!!

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
What did happen to Romanuk? He was very good!!

I think his wife has some high-end job in Europe and that's why he moved there and only calls games from there now, Spengler Cup, etc.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Last game:

Bob Cole: "Here's Bouillon on the point.. he's got a good shot."

Time to hang it up, Bob.

He was comparing to DD. :sarcasm:

Stock is brutal on RDS -- his limited vocabulary and continuous word-mangling, turn him into a parody of himself.

A Stock classic from a couple of years ago: “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

I think Stock does okay language wise on AC, it's hockey vocab they're not discussiing Prust.

My take is CBC figures RDS serves most of the Habs base, so they (CBC) can get behind whatever other team. Because they sure aren't behind the Habs most of the time.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
:) that made me think of the horrible boxing coverage RDS has offered since it's inception.

"Merci Madame Brossard pour nos envoyer ces manifique biscuits!"
"Elle est a mancher pour veiller tard!" = talking about ring girl... (sorry for spelling)

In fact....I have never heard a french broadcast of anything but local boxing that was any good. They always spend their time promoting local boxing and telling personal stories instead of commenting on the actual fight, and describing the division internationally.

Chartrand and Michel need to have a show about local boxing, and leave international matches to people who comment on the fight they are televising.

Chartrand, now that's a senile old man. All he does is talk about the Duran fight in Montreal and about Rocky Marciano. Or comment on how big are the biceps of every fighter. And then complain about the referee being active. The old man should retire already, he's just god awful. Yvon Michel is always correcting him :laugh:

Even his son is bad.

sendoh12

Oct 8, 2013
Montreal
Not HNIC, but the clip up on RDS right now with Flynn and Therrien talking about line cominations is absolutely horrid.

Couple of terrible points made:

-Therrien said Eller would never be able to handle the kind of minutes needed of a 2nd line center
-Therrien still believes Brière is the best RW we have and that is why the Patches-DD-Brière line is still the No.1 line
-Flynn says Bourque is basically terrible and should be put on the fourth line

Don't know how those guys still have jobs.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Not HNIC, but the clip up on RDS right now with Flynn and Therrien talking about line cominations is absolutely horrid.

Couple of terrible points made:

-Therrien said Eller would never be able to handle the kind of minutes needed of a 2nd line center
-Therrien still believes Brière is the best RW we have and that is why the Patches-DD-Brière line is still the No.1 line
-Flynn says Bourque is basically terrible and should be put on the fourth line

Don't know how those guys still have jobs.

To be fair, they say that Briere was the best right winger in the pre-season. Which isn't saying much conisdering Gallagher hit about 9 posts and Gionta was injured.

Anyway, watching RDS makes me feel better about my future, since it seems just about anyone can become an analyste on RDS.

sendoh12

Oct 8, 2013
Montreal
To be fair, they say that Briere was the best right winger in the pre-season. Which isn't saying much conisdering Gallagher hit about 9 posts and Gionta was injured.

Anyway, watching RDS makes me feel better about my future, since it seems just about anyone can become an analyste on RDS.

Depends.

1) Are you a between the ages of 45-65?
2) Do you have strongly held yet everchanging and baseless opinions on anything hockey related?
3) Are you an ex-NHL enforcer?
4) Are you so unable to write a simple opinion piece that you have to have a nameless young person write your articles for you?

If you answered yes to all four questions, then you might be on your way to a great job ;)

Halifaxhab*

Depends.

1) Are you a between the ages of 45-65?
2) Do you have strongly held yet everchanging and baseless opinions on anything hockey related?
3) Are you an ex-NHL enforcer?
4) Are you so unable to write a simple opinion piece that you have to have a nameless young person write your articles for you?

If you answered yes to all four questions, then you might be on your way to a great job ;)

3 out of 4 ain't bad......but I've actually won a fight so I guess it's no go for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad