Stupid Crap CBC HNIC Says RE: Habs

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Bob Cole is the reason why this anglophone watches the games on RDS.

Yep, been like that for me since the late 80's, obviously pre-RDS. I think that the newer announcers have gotten so bad that there's a renaissance in thinking he's so great. Cause I really don’t know why his popularity has resurged.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I speak english pretty decently, but I still have no idea how to pronounce the H sound. In french, we add that letter to words that look awkward without it. It has no sound.
Easy. When you say "hahaha" in French, you still put the "H" in it verbally. Otherwise, it would just be saying the letter A three times in a row. ;)

Add that "H" air push in front of words that have them, such as "hungry," and you'll be able to pronounce these words as they should be said.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
holy hell!!! is this him being funny, or a homer? jeez. I always watch the games on RDS. I hate most of their usual panel, but game description post-Brunet era are satisfactory

That's some guy making fun of Bob Cole, not Cole himself...

And FWIW Bob Cole is still the best out there, his voice brings so much to the broadcast. I don't care that he doesn't get the players' names right, I can tell who it is just by looking at them skating..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When Glen Healey rips on Carey Price saying he is off his game and is going down early etc etc...
Thing about Healy though is he's wildly inconsistent. He'll say Price is the best one game and then rip him in another. And this isn't exclusive to Montreal.

I actually wouldn't mind Healy so much except that he's just so obnoxious. Stock on the other hand is poison.

I've been saying (and reading) this a lot lately but both need to go. They're just terrible.
Bob Cole is the reason why this anglophone watches the games on RDS.
Love Bob Cole. The guy's a legend and the best broadcaster since Gallivan. I don't care if he's senile I love the guy. And he's still the best in the game.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Easy. When you say "hahaha" in French, you still put the "H" in it verbally. Otherwise, it would just be saying the letter A three times in a row. ;)

Add that "H" air push in front of words that have them, such as "hungry," and you'll be able to pronounce these words as they should be said.

Now I just have to learn how to push air between T and a vowel. Dis is gonna be great!

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Lol. I might be one of the few that still enjoy Bob Cole. The man is a legend.

If you enjoy absurd babbling... Just because he's a legend doesn't mean he has to continue doing what made him a legend when he is no longer capable of doing it well.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Now I just have to learn how to push air between T and a vowel. Dis is gonna be great!
Some sounds are unique to certain languages. Ask any anglophone to do the French "U" sound and they'll say "OU."

Takes a lot of practice, but it's certainly doable, in time. Good luck!

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I love watching the Abs on TV with my heyes and listening to them on the radio with my hears!

Oly crap they are ard to watch sometimes.

I ad a ole in my eart when the Abs lost to toronto. :sarcasm:

Seriously though this is a common problem for francophones. And it's normal because in French they don't have a hard "H" so they get confused on when to pronounce it and when not to in English.

It is funny to hear though!

But much love to my Francophone brothers and sisters.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
If you enjoy absurd babbling... Just because he's a legend doesn't mean he has to continue doing what made him a legend when he is no longer capable of doing it well.

I see what's happening on the ice so I don't care about the mistakes he makes. I just need his voice.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
I like PJ Stock. I listen to him and just one thing always comes to mind: "Damn that Benoit Brunet is a smart intelligent and well spoken guy!" Listening to that hockey redneck PJ Stock makes me appreciate RDS a lot more...:p:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Am I the only one that misses Harry Neale? Harry was a former English teacher, I enjoyed his sense of humour and colourful use of the language. Some of the expressions that are used in the game today are Neale originals. Yeah he's associated with the Leafs based on his game assignments but he's one of the best.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I love watching the Abs on TV with my heyes and listening to them on the radio with my hears!

Oly crap they are ard to watch sometimes.

I ad a ole in my eart when the Abs lost to toronto. :sarcasm:

Seriously though this is a common problem for francophones. And it's normal because in French they don't have a hard "H" so they get confused on when to pronounce it and when not to in English.

It is funny to hear though!

But much love to my Francophone brothers and sisters.

As long as we don't all sound like GSP...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I like PJ Stock. I listen to him and just one thing always comes to mind: "Damn that Benoit Brunet is a smart intelligent and well spoken guy!" Listening to that hockey redneck PJ Stock makes me appreciate RDS a lot more...:p:
Isn't Stock on RDS sometimes?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Does someone know why steve Shutt left the broadcasting career he was getting better.I know he became an assistant coach but that didnt last.Does someone know the real reason.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I just think it was hilarious when McLean said "those cans" about Andi Petrillo's breasts. Why would he say that on TV?

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I cant stand his voice

Feel like watching a Habs game in the 60's

That's precisely why I love Bob Cole. He has a classic voice. Distinct, clear and resonant. The guy has been making mistakes for years now, though. But I like his voice a lot better than these guys who sound like a hybrid between wrestling announcers and Tonka Truck commercial narrators.

JMMR

Mar 21, 2006
Ottawa
Am I the only one that misses Harry Neale? Harry was a former English teacher, I enjoyed his sense of humour and colourful use of the language. Some of the expressions that are used in the game today are Neale originals. Yeah he's associated with the Leafs based on his game assignments but he's one of the best.

I believe he works for the Sabres now.

Universe

Eh?
Jul 31, 2008
Nothing worse than listening to Healy talk about Price. Actually, CBC and TSN analysts talking about Price is pretty much the same recorded message each year. Least others don't act like they were a goalie superstar like Healy does. For someone who did very little in the NHL, he sure is an expert on what Carey is doing wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad