STU Tommies, Part 2

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The talk a couple of years back was that the STU Men's team might leave the AUS. STU, Mount A, Holland College etc.....would form their own league.
I haven't heard anything since then but it could be just frustrated fans. They only got to see one win this year.
They should have second tier leagues everywhere. Ontario has not had a college league in years. The hard part would be getting firm commitments from a minimum of four universities/colleges who currently do not have programs.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Fredericton wouldn't want to see the Tommies leave the AUS.
The CIS is the only show, with no major Junior team, having the Tommies means that there is always CIS hockey on a winter weekend. what's tough, is scaling the ladder in a very competitive league, with your cross campus rival being a perennial power. They haven't been able to change the losing culture that has become the focal point, but they have been trying!
Someone has to bring up the rear, right now it's STU, but just because they haven't made the playoffs in a long time, doesn't mean fold ship.

cookiecutter1

Jan 14, 2015
It is somewhat ironic that we are talking about getting "rid" of players to make way for better players. Are we a University with a hockey program, or a hockey program with a university? Are not most of the players in the AUS on some sort of Athletic award?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
It is somewhat ironic that we are talking about getting "rid" of players to make way for better players. Are we a University with a hockey program, or a hockey program with a university? Are not most of the players in the AUS on some sort of Athletic award?

Yes, most players are receiving awards, but they are not guaranteed over their career, just year-to-year if they make the team. Some may have a guaranteed amount (full AFA per year) but that's assuming they make the team each year.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
STU had a lot of 1st year players learning the AUS ropes this past season. It's an adjustment no matter how talented a player is. Tommies should be a little better this upcoming season just based on that year of experience and players knowing what to expect. Obviously they'll need better goaltending and defensive play. They don't need to replace players in order to open up spots for recruits as every program always has a few summer casualties.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
Tommies add Brandon Devlin https://twitter.com/STU_MHOC/status/607907015562772480

Great pick up for STU to add some size and skill to the back end. I have searched the kid pretty well and can't find a knock against him. Former coaches say he is a hard worker, coachable, and he was voted by OHL coaches this year as having the hardest shot in the OHL.

STU hasn't had a top quality d-man PP quarterback in years, probably since Butera or Theriault. Hopefully that will change and pucks will find their way to the back of the net or at least a Squirrel body part here or there.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
WOW, lets see what the revolving door brings this time. It starts from the top down no matter what is said.

Its all good, can't wait for the hockey season to begin.

Oh Rantfather, if you were well enough to respond I am sure we would get an earful of what is really wrong. In your absence I think we can all figure it out. These are for you.... :yo::help::yo::help::shakehead

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The Gleaner article mentioned that the position could be filled very soon and suggested Kevin Pottle and Justin Bowers as possibilities. Does Bowers have a university degree? I would also think that assistant coach Quade Lightbody would be considered (if he meets criteria of the position) given that he has been Pat Powers' right hand man and would allow for a quick transition. Lightbody has significant experience as a player in various leagues and I believe was the Tommies captain the one year they represented the AUS at the nationals.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
According to the Gleaner is was "primarily a family decision". Apparently his wife and child were still in Ontario while he was here, so I imagine it was a pretty hard situation.

Their last two coaches were both 'commuters'. I'm surprised the family didn't move. I know there are lot of dynamics in a family, but how long was he going to stay if the family wasn't going to join him? or she wasn't able to find work here.

Certainly difficult timing, but better know than in late August.

and the rebuild continues

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
To be fair, I think Powers was hopeful his wife would find work in the school system here and the family would be together here rather than there. I don't think he took the position with the idea that he'd like to try it for two years to see how it goes. But you have to do what's best for your family, first and foremost.

TomBull

Sep 12, 2007
To be fair, I think Powers was hopeful his wife would find work in the school system here and the family would be together here rather than there. I don't think he took the position with the idea that he'd like to try it for two years to see how it goes. But you have to do what's best for your family, first and foremost.

Truer statements could not be said but we all know that isn't the whole story. This is the public consumption story.

Let's ask ourselves some questions? Is the hockey program at STU built on a solid foundation?

Is administration willing to do what is necessary to bring it back to respectability?

People that should be supporting this program in a secondary capacity are not involved, don't want to be involved or were cast aside when Eagles was coach. Now that he is AD does anyone think that he has fostered a warm fuzzy feeling inside those that he alienated?

Without knowing the inside situation, I will speculate that Eagles let Powers walk without fighting to save him and I mean growing a set and taking a stand for the hockey program with Pat Powers as the leader. I would bet he put his tail between his legs and bowed to his bosses while licking their feet and preserving his own skin. The man that brought the program to its knees isn't going to help moving forward in a tangible way, that becomes clearer every single day.

Pat did what was right for him and his family for sure. If he had any loyalty at all - and I don't think anyone has questioned his loyalty to the program -what was at stake that would have made him stay and why wasn't the university willing to do it if they are serious about the hockey program?

cookiecutter1

Jan 14, 2015
move over

what about the women's hockey coach moving over to the men? He has a long standing relationship with Eagles, A players coach according to the media, and is willing and able to requit?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Easy on the Tommies. They are punching above their weight by just being in the AUS. They got their share of recruits last year. However they were added to a base well below the rest of the conference. Can this change? Only if hockey becomes about 3x as important to STU than it is to the rest of the AUS.

Personally, I would give them credit for finishing ahead of Dalhousie.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Truer statements could not be said but we all know that isn't the whole story. This is the public consumption story.

Let's ask ourselves some questions? Is the hockey program at STU built on a solid foundation?

Is administration willing to do what is necessary to bring it back to respectability?

People that should be supporting this program in a secondary capacity are not involved, don't want to be involved or were cast aside when Eagles was coach. Now that he is AD does anyone think that he has fostered a warm fuzzy feeling inside those that he alienated?

Without knowing the inside situation, I will speculate that Eagles let Powers walk without fighting to save him and I mean growing a set and taking a stand for the hockey program with Pat Powers as the leader. I would bet he put his tail between his legs and bowed to his bosses while licking their feet and preserving his own skin. The man that brought the program to its knees isn't going to help moving forward in a tangible way, that becomes clearer every single day.

Pat did what was right for him and his family for sure. If he had any loyalty at all - and I don't think anyone has questioned his loyalty to the program -what was at stake that would have made him stay and why wasn't the university willing to do it if they are serious about the hockey program?

What was at stake was a job for his wife. Hard for anybody at STU to conjur up a job for her in a province where they're hacking 300 teaching jobs. Perhaps I'm naive, but that's purely it from my perspective. If Powers could coach and his wife could make a living here, he would have stayed. This way, he goes back to a teaching job, his wife keeps her teaching job....his son can start school full time in Ontario this year rather than next year, as would be the case in New Brunswick...lots of factors that are beyond the control of the STU administration. I'm told Pat was in tears when he informed his coaching staff....it was not an easy decision.

TomBull

Sep 12, 2007
This was in today's Gleaner under "STU should set record straight on the future of men's hockey program",

So is the program on thin ice or not?
STU athletic director Mike Eagles was non-committal.
“I don’t really have any comment on it,â€he said.“We’ve been very supportive of the program. It is what it is.â€
So while Eagles didn’t add to fans’ fears, he didn’t allay them either.

Is Mike Eagles some sort of evil person? No, he is not. Nice family man, works hard, does what he can with the gifts he was given.

Is Mike Eagles going to save hockey at STU? Well considering he is the one that broke it and continues to be the sore spot for so many people that were avid Tommies fans, my answer is No, he will never fix it. Yet he tells everyone he is trying. Sorry, never going to work.

Put us all out of our misery and end it. Do everyone a favor Mike and put a bullet in it now.

When they put your picture on the STU Sports Hall of Fame I hope they put you in the destroyer section because you are single handedly the biggest reason for all of this. It is good to have a legacy.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So is the program on thin ice or not?
STU athletic director Mike Eagles was non-committal.
“I don’t really have any comment on it,â€he said.“We’ve been very supportive of the program. It is what it is.â€
So while Eagles didn’t add to fans’ fears, he didn’t allay them either.

Wow. Not a good sign. :shakehead

TomBull

Sep 12, 2007
This is my guess on what goes down. When Mike Eagles leaves as Athletic Director, that's when you know that the death bell has been sounded at STU for men's hockey. He will conveniently retire or resign before the axe falls (1 month or maybe a year before the announcement) and claim ignorance or claim he just found out and won't stand for it, showing how truly dedicated he is to the program.

So like I say above, kill it now and save the theatrics. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Hockey999

Feb 14, 2015
This is my guess on what goes down. When Mike Eagles leaves as Athletic Director, that's when you know that the death bell has been sounded at STU for men's hockey. He will conveniently retire or resign before the axe falls (1 month or 1 year before the announcement) then lie and claim ignorance or lie and claim he just found out and won't stand for it, showing how truly dedicated he is to the program.

Wow...I think it's a good thing you have no input on STU hockey.

TomBull

Sep 12, 2007
Wow...I think it's a good thing you have no input on STU hockey.

You're right about that, good thing.

Begs the questions, so who does have input? Let's see, one of the big inputs would be the person that took over a perennial contender in the previous 10 year period and year by year guided it to the basement of the AUS, then is tasked with fixing the problem he created in a managerial role. Makes perfect sense to me.

Good luck STU, you are going to need every ounce of it you can find.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
This is my guess on what goes down. When Mike Eagles leaves as Athletic Director, that's when you know that the death bell has been sounded at STU for men's hockey. He will conveniently retire or resign before the axe falls (1 month or 1 year before the announcement) then lie and claim ignorance or lie and claim he just found out and won't stand for it, showing how truly dedicated he is to the program.

You can say as much as you want (anonymously) about Mike Eagles, and you may very well be right about the fate of the program. But I have known the man professionally for 30 years and I have never known him to lie. That's offside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad