STU Tommies, Part 2

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Honestly I have been following this thread for quite some time, and on several occasions contemplated responding to "Tom Bull" and his malicious and calculated shots across a Mike Eagles' bow. I wonder if "Tom Bull" would have the stones to do so when not hiding behind his monitor.

Too bad we all know that won't happen.

How do you know that he hasn't?

You seem more interested in firing shots and calling people down, adding to the problem, than becoming involved and being part of the solution.

So fans are supposed to be "part of the solution"? By doing what exactly.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think the Tommies were better than their record showed last year. Goaltending was a huge problem but I think that has been solved with Trudeau. I can't pick them to make the playoffs but I wouldn't be all that surprised if they make a push for the 6th spot. They are at least better than Dal.

First game of the season is a big test against a Moncton team whom they could be battling for that 6th spot.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
Hello everyone, it has been a while. I hope everyone is well and the Squirrels aren't annoying you by eating all the bird seed.

For anyone that cares, the last time the Tommies defeated the Huskies was on Feb 25, 2007 in those things after you play the regular season games. You know what I mean but I have forgotten what they are called. :laugh: Here is the box score http://atlanticuniversitysport.com/sports/mice/statistics/2006-07-PLA/FEB25SMU.HTM

Justin Bowers was the GW goal scorer. I remember that game very well. I remember being excited.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Well a pretty disappointing first half to say the least. Trudeau leaving certainly hurt. However, I'm surprised at how much scoring is down. Injuries hurt them but almost every team in the AUS has them as well. While they will no doubt be finishing last again we will see if they can give their fans a bit of hope going into next season.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Any word of (if anything) came from the closed door meeting this week? Lots of rumbling that there will not be a men's hockey program next year! Hopefully it is only rumors, the AUS needs STU, UNB needs STU.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Any word of (if anything) came from the closed door meeting this week? Lots of rumbling that there will not be a men's hockey program next year! Hopefully it is only rumors, the AUS needs STU, UNB needs STU.

"Needs" might be too strong a word. But an 8 team league is perfect because everybody gets 2 home and 2 away games against every other team.

If anything is a "need" in the Atlantic region it is for a 2nd tier league like the ACAC and BCIHL. I read where Holland College folded their team due to it being awkward to play in a Junior B league, with age and roster restrictions. There are lots of potential teams for such a league from both the AUS and the ACAA.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

I haven't heard anything substantial. We have heard similar rumblings for the past four years.

I was listening to the STU vs Acadia broadcast on AVR Radio (Acadia) and the host interviewed Eagles during the intermission. He was really praising Macallister for the job he has done from behind the bench this year but not mention on if he will be back. He also said that he believes that University is committed to the Men's program.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Wow. :(

Genuinely sad to hear this, when I first showed up around this league in the late 90's, STU were a force and they were the team we hated from Fredericton, and not necessarily UNB. Jason Sands, Dave Gilmore, Dan Preston, Dustin Virag... some awfully good players in that era. You have to feel for Kyle McAllister too, I found he did a great job without much this year.

This is not good for STU sports, not good for UNB and not good for anyone else in the league. Our league didn't have enough teams if you ask me, we surely didn't need to lose one.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with scheduling now, all that 2 division thing is likely out the window (I hope) now. My guess is we're going to a 7-team "division" with 6 teams making the playoffs. A double home and home against everyone (current format) would give us 24 games, a triple home and home would be nice at 36 games but I would think that wouldn't be realistic. 5-games against everyone at 30 games would be nice, with the extra game against everyone being alternated on a yearly basis (home, away).

EDIT: Not too mention the GHC was currently my favorite arena to visit in the league. And anyone who has seen them will agree, the facilities for both STU team's are awesome and also the best and nicest in the league (I've seen them all except UPEI).

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
EDIT: Not too mention the GHC was currently my favorite arena to visit in the league. And anyone who has seen them will agree, the facilities for both STU team's are awesome and also the best and nicest in the league (I've seen them all except UPEI).

One time I was home visiting I went to a STU/UNB game there and was really impressed with the place. Fredericton rinks have come a long ways since the York and Beaverbrook arenas.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Why do you say this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/womens-varsity-hockey-reinstated-unb-1.3472945

The University of New Brunswick has been ordered to reinstate its women's varsity hockey team by the New Brunswick Labour and Employment Board.

In a ruling released on Wednesday, the board said it found that Sylvia Bryson, who had laid a complaint along with the New Brunswick Human Rights Commission, had established a case of discrimination against UNB "as a service-provider of Varsity Atheletics."

That basically sets the STU men's team up for a slam dunk complaint given that STU cut men's hockey but kept women's (where the UNB women's team complaint was about UNB cutting women's but keeping men's).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Absolutely terrible news.

Unfortunately, while I agree they should file a complaint, I'm not too optimistic it will happen. Would someone step up and be their "Sylvia Bryson" and fight this for years?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
UNB was forced to reinstate women's hockey after a court ruling. I don't see a difference here. Although financial reasons should be enough, if you can force one University to reinstate, then how can this stand?

Exactly. And if they ruled against the STU men's team then they open themselves up to gender discrimination litigation.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It is too bad. I just got the email.

Unfortunately, they haven't been able to compete for several years. I went to 5 games this year and happy that I did but the crowds were small and barely a student in sight.

I would bet they would still be in the upper half of the CIS in attendance per game though.

Unfortunately, given the size of the school I would say they have been "punching above their weight" in men's and women's hockey (which are their only two CIS sports)..and it finally caught up to them financially.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That 1 year contract for McAllister certainly makes a lot more sense now...wonder if this is something that was seen as a serious possibility last year when they hired him.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Swap

STU now has no Men's team and said the $250K of savings was needed to assist them in balancing the books.

Proposal - to save an additional $100-150K, transfer the STU Women's team to UNB.

- this gives STU additional savings
- UNB gets a competitive team from the start and fulfills their obligation
- allow the girls to remain STU students until they have graduated (new players are UNB students)
- STU provides a reduced contribution over 3 years to soften the blow (60K, 40K, 20K to 0) while still saving.

UNB becomes the 'Big School with sports' and STU accepts the role as the 'Little Liberal Arts School'.

If you're going to claim financial hardship, it's not going to get better for NB anytime soon, so take a bigger step to get bigger savings otherwise I see them in the same spot in 1-2 years.

I also don't think the Alumni is large enough or has deep enough pockets to raise the money needed to fund this as a 3rd party. They would probably need $4M (at 5% growth you get 200K a year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->