STU Tommies, Part 2

cookiecutter1

Jan 14, 2015
Two periods of toe to toe last night, then the third period happened. Not sure if STU played up or UNB played down the first two, or if STU just gave up in the third. From my vantage point during the game, I saw three "lazy like" plays by STU players that all converted into goals. It is a little frustrating. The last three games I watched, two men and one girls game all ended up 6-1 for the bad guys. Great crowd last night.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In my view STU ran out of gas, especially their bigger/slower players. Two periods trying to chase UNB around takes a toll. Trudeau got no team defence in the third period.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Speaking of Doyle, he was doing the UNB-STU game tonight, not sure if it was him that called the delay of game on UNB before the start of the game or not, sounds like him though..

It's funny. I had stuff to do last night so I didn't go to the game but tuned in online at the start of the second period. As soon as I saw how out of control things were, I had an inkling that Doyle was reffing.

cookiecutter1

Jan 14, 2015
Two things I noticed.
1. a lot of dangerous hits. Most of that comes from a fear of referees to call the game as it should. There were hitting from behind penalties all over the place. Lots of bare handed punches to the face. It is university, not junior. Call that stuff.
2. When it is a full house, the GH Centre is a difficult place to find a seat with a view.

cookiecutter1

Jan 14, 2015
Shoot out loss to Saint Mary's. Tough game but great effort. Some great saves on both ends of the ice and some nice plays both ways. Tommies ended up short staffed and got run ragged in the end minutes. some observations that mean very little to the true fan:
1. The bags of popcorn, sold at the canteen are only 3/4 full
2. The game was advertised as "free" if you donated books to a local middle school. I took in 3 new age appropriate books and still had to pay "1/2 price".
3. Does the guy who announces all of the between period games actually think we can hear him?
4. How much beer can that guy in the second row drink and still function?
5. Still better than the UNB games.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Felix Poulin the only STU player graduating this year? That leaves them with a roster of 21 players assuming no one leaves early.
Not much room for new recruits. We can thank the stupid cap rule for that.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The stupid cap rule was put in place to prevent UNB from stockpiling talent to prevent other teams from getting them.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Whatever the reasoning behind it the rule is stupid because it puts the AUS at a disadvantage over the other conferences. It also hurts teams when it comes to injuries.

STU is going to be impacted because they do not have room for much needed recruits. Unless they kick players off the roster which would seem highly unfair.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Whatever the reasoning behind it the rule is stupid because it puts the AUS at a disadvantage over the other conferences. It also hurts teams when it comes to injuries.

STU is going to be impacted because they do not have room for much needed recruits. Unless they kick players off the roster which would seem highly unfair.

Why would it be unfair, it would promote competition and hopefully bring the best out of the remaining players. Just because I have a full roster, it doesn't mean that I stop recruiting, especially given the fact that STU had 2 wins all season. Perhaps some of the current players are not talented enough to play in the AUS.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Why would it be unfair, it would promote competition and hopefully bring the best out of the remaining players. Just because I have a full roster, it doesn't mean that I stop recruiting, especially given the fact that STU had 2 wins all season. Perhaps some of the current players are not talented enough to play in the AUS.

Well players do join their teams with the idea that they have the option of playing until they graduate. Maybe in the AUS that is going to have to change.

If STU wants to be truly competitive next season they are going to have to dump some guys.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Well players do join their teams with the idea that they have the option of playing until they graduate. Maybe in the AUS that is going to have to change.

If STU wants to be truly competitive next season they are going to have to dump some guys.

I understand what you are saying and yes, in a good situation, it would be nice to have that security being assured to be with the team for at least 4 years. But in STU's situation, they definitely need to upgrade in players which unfortunately means some players who were here this year, may or may not be here next year.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Maybe not just drop them, but could certainly limit their playing time to the press box instead of the ice. Why would you as a coach not want to improve your team?

Well with the cap if a player is on the roster at the beginning of the season he is on the roster for the full season.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Well with the cap if a player is on the roster at the beginning of the season he is on the roster for the full season.

True. But there is one way to deal with and it is what I believe StFX did this season. They had a couple of depth players practice with the team all season as red shirts. As long as X kept one player card free they could have activated either player in a pinch (which I don't believe they actually did, but correct me if I'm wrong).

It is tough on the players. They go into the season not knowing if they will play at all, and are expected to practice hard in case an opportunity arises. It reminds me a bit of the NCAA model (except their issue is not roster caps but players only having 4 years of eligibility).

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
True. But there is one way to deal with and it is what I believe StFX did this season. They had a couple of depth players practice with the team all season as red shirts. As long as X kept one player card free they could have activated either player in a pinch (which I don't believe they actually did, but correct me if I'm wrong).

The problem is I don't think that the Tommies can really afford to leave a sport open. They need to get as many new recruits as possible.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It must be hard to be a Tommies fan. Another last place season for the Men and the Women just can't get it done in the playoffs. They completely outplayed the Tigers last night (I think shots were 32-12) but still end up on the losing end of the score sheet.

cookiecutter1

Jan 14, 2015
The girls were always outshot badly in the early days but had Hall of Fame goaltending. On this night, they were on the other side of that coin. What is interesting is that the men's team has a good coach but is unable to recruit, while the womens team has more recruits, than anyone from all over the world, as a matter of fact but can't win. I think if STU were to replace the STU coach with one similar to the coaches who were once at St Marys, ST FX, multiple banners would be in the rafters by now....but like Gleaner guy used to say they love him like a father. I think if UNB gets their team back STU women go to the bottom of the pack instantly!

DravCat

Nov 26, 2014
The girls were always outshot badly in the early days but had Hall of Fame goaltending. On this night, they were on the other side of that coin. What is interesting is that the men's team has a good coach but is unable to recruit, while the womens team has more recruits, than anyone from all over the world, as a matter of fact but can't win. I think if STU were to replace the STU coach with one similar to the coaches who were once at St Marys, ST FX, multiple banners would be in the rafters by now....but like Gleaner guy used to say they love him like a father. I think if UNB gets their team back STU women go to the bottom of the pack instantly!

The men's coach has done a fairly good job at recruiting compared to the past two coaches that have been in place. Next season will tell the tail of his recruiting skills if he can get a couple good dmen. The womens team needs to bring in some players that can put the puck into the net. They always seem to struggle in scoring against good teams.

cookiecutter1

Jan 14, 2015
The men's coach has done a fairly good job at recruiting compared to the past two coaches that have been in place. Next season will tell the tail of his recruiting skills if he can get a couple good dmen. The womens team needs to bring in some players that can put the puck into the net. They always seem to struggle in scoring against good teams.
Why is there a lot of "coffee talk" about STU hockey folding?? It is travelling the curcuit with a vengence. Does this happen every year or is it just noticable to me this year. I thought this was put to rest a few years ago? I think Tommie pride is still strong in the rank and file of the STU brass and alumni. Some argue it will never happen, others quote the rug that has been pulled on other universities in the past few years. The arguement has cited both men and women hockey.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The talk a couple of years back was that the STU Men's team might leave the AUS. STU, Mount A, Holland College etc.....would form their own league.
I haven't heard anything since then but it could be just frustrated fans. They only got to see one win this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad