STU Tommies, Part 2

cookiecutter

Nov 2, 2010
CPR for Tommies

I think STU needs to offer some perks to grow the fan base. If one only looks at pro teams to see what happens when the home team is good vs bad. Once fans leave, it is hard to coax them back in a small town. What types of perks you ask? Something like buy one ticket, get one free for the game; A package of 5 tickets for the for any season games for the price of 3; Seniors and kids get in free; I believe if STU can spend 1.3 million on the rink, then a few dollars to get in some extra fans won't break the bank. In most of the examples above, it won't cost money to let people in who will add to the concession profit. Rebuilding for another three years won't add to a fan base. Most people are, either loyal forever to their team, or want to see a good hockey game. Some are both, but bottom line CIS hockey is our pro league in the city....you figure it out.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good point, Cookie. The game will be played regardless if there are 10 fans or 10,000. There are few, if any, additional costs so why not give the fans a break. Show them an entertaining product and some may come back and pay the 10 bucks or whatever. An empty building makes no noise. Get some bums in the seats and see where it goes from there.

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
Good points by posters on this subject!

Good point, Cookie. The game will be played regardless if there are 10 fans or 10,000. There are few, if any, additional costs so why not give the fans a break. Show them an entertaining product and some may come back and pay the 10 bucks or whatever. An empty building makes no noise. Get some bums in the seats and see where it goes from there.

Back in "the day " STU used to give free admission to kids being accompanied by a responsible adult.

Several years later whilst attending the Nationals in Toronto I.was approached by a fan who recognized my STU ring and commented how nice it was to be treated to a CIS game in Fredericton and was one of the reasons.he became a life long fan of University hockey.

A VERY GOOD MARKETING IDEA by Cookie and AUS.FAN.

GO TOMMIES GO!

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
NOT SO HAPPY ABOUT THAT RATHER ARBITRARY decision.

The other thread was closed due to it having over 1,000 posts. So this is the new one (just a continuation).

The only thing I ask is that you all please keep the discussion civil and within HF Boards rules. Thanks.

I CERTAINLY DO NOT APPRECIATE THE RE NAMING OF THE post as STU PIDS 2 and.suggest that the absence of the first 1000 posts does NOT allow for a review of history if the many debates.

The first post, I believe, should summarize the intention of that thread BUT ELIMINATING IT COMPLETELY IS RATHER A CRUDE MOVE!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Good points being made here. They just do free admission or maybe $3 across the board. Right now, on weekends when UNB is out of town I would rather stay home and watch their web-cast then spend 10+ dollars to go watch STU (even though their rink is literally down the street from me). If the price was lowered or free I would probably go to a lot more games and I almost always grab a slice of pizza/drink at the game. It can't hurt...they need to rebuild the fan base somehow.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Good points being made here. They just do free admission or maybe $3 across the board. Right now, on weekends when UNB is out of town I would rather stay home and watch their web-cast then spend 10+ dollars to go watch STU (even though their rink is literally down the street from me). If the price was lowered or free I would probably go to a lot more games and I almost always grab a slice of pizza/drink at the game. It can't hurt...they need to rebuild the fan base somehow.

Sure beats having to take a bus to the Lady Beaverbrook.

The problem is STU is so overshadowed by UNB, that the only Tommies fans are STU students. Somehow need to get that changed. Radio ads on the Fox?

Nick Murray

Mar 9, 2013
Fredericton, NB
At the very least the games should be free for students.

A-freking-MEN!!! There's no incentive for students to attend, and I'm speaking first hand. Even in my first year when the games were at the LBR (closer than Grant*Harvey, duh), I went to maybe one or two because it was part of a residence challenge. (Harrington 2010-2011, woohoo!)

Oh, and Eric Moffat wasn't there so I had no idea when STU even played..which by the way speaks to the works he's done there.

But seriously though, I'm not knocking the efforts of the Athletics Dept because they do a great job promoting the game to students and they do everything they possibly can, within reason, but short of handing out 2-for-1 beer coupons, I think free admission is a good first step, but it won't give students the urge to get up and go.

UNB tried that this year (free admission) and I wrote a column in the Brunswickan on it. Nothing.

It sucks really. I'd love to see the days of the LBR's aisles filled and Rum Row alive and well, but it's just a tell-tale now. Besides, the AUC is a 10 min walk from many of the residences and the students won't go. Why, I don't know. The fans who really enjoy live hockey will go, and they do, but it's hard to lure many away from the pre-drinking festivities before heading down to Zees on a Saturday night...even though the game will be done by 9:30 and there's ample amount of time to get sufficiently, well you know.

Arguably it's getting the friends that aren't avid hockey-goers to check out a game. I honestly don't have the answer though. If I wasn't covering games every weekend, I'd be in a seat...and I have been on my days off. Only games I went to last year were STU, mainly because we called every UNB home game, but I went whenever I could.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
A-freking-MEN!!! There's no incentive for students to attend, and I'm speaking first hand. Even in my first year when the games were at the LBR (closer than Grant*Harvey, duh), I went to maybe one or two because it was part of a residence challenge. (Harrington 2010-2011, woohoo!)

Oh, and Eric Moffat wasn't there so I had no idea when STU even played..which by the way speaks to the works he's done there.

But seriously though, I'm not knocking the efforts of the Athletics Dept because they do a great job promoting the game to students and they do everything they possibly can, within reason, but short of handing out 2-for-1 beer coupons, I think free admission is a good first step, but it won't give students the urge to get up and go.

UNB tried that this year (free admission) and I wrote a column in the Brunswickan on it. Nothing.

It sucks really. I'd love to see the days of the LBR's aisles filled and Rum Row alive and well, but it's just a tell-tale now. Besides, the AUC is a 10 min walk from many of the residences and the students won't go. Why, I don't know. The fans who really enjoy live hockey will go, and they do, but it's hard to lure many away from the pre-drinking festivities before heading down to Zees on a Saturday night...even though the game will be done by 9:30 and there's ample amount of time to get sufficiently, well you know.

Arguably it's getting the friends that aren't avid hockey-goers to check out a game. I honestly don't have the answer though. If I wasn't covering games every weekend, I'd be in a seat...and I have been on my days off. Only games I went to last year were STU, mainly because we called every UNB home game, but I went whenever I could.

Chances are, if they're going to the Zee's/Dolans/20-40-60, I'd rather them not be at the games. Not gonna lie.

Last year I started going to STU games,mainly cause I like STU's style better.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Stu

Sure beats having to take a bus to the Lady Beaverbrook.

The problem is STU is so overshadowed by UNB, that the only Tommies fans are STU students. Somehow need to get that changed. Radio ads on the Fox?

There are lots of fans in fredericton that are Tommie fans, not just alumni and students. It's those fans that have grown impatient with the poor results from many years and it won't be easy to get them back. I agree that STU is overshadowed by UNB and at the same time that the Tommies program took a nose dive, UNB's program got stronger and stronger.
At one time, many local fans had more of a connection with STU than UNB.
Since those years, UNB has hosted 4 CIS Nationals, have won 4 more CIS banners, has reached out to the youth through successful hockey schools and the V-Reds program, which has gained widespread respect among CHL and NCAA scouts.
If they can get more competitive, fans will come back, but don't expect it this year.

cookiecutter

Nov 2, 2010
Back in "the day " STU used to give free admission to kids being accompanied by a responsible adult.

Several years later whilst attending the Nationals in Toronto I.was approached by a fan who recognized my STU ring and commented how nice it was to be treated to a CIS game in Fredericton and was one of the reasons.he became a life long fan of University hockey.

A VERY GOOD MARKETING IDEA by Cookie and AUS.FAN.

GO TOMMIES GO!

Actually, in the days of rum row, the adults had to accompanied by a responsible kid to drive them home....

cookiecutter

Nov 2, 2010
I think promotions are a good place for Alumni and Friends to place their collective efforts. I don't think raising money is a priority, rather getting people in seats. UNB is UNB and we aren't going to get to that level any time soon. Thus we need to fill seats. Kids getting in free is okay, but if the parents have to pay to accompany them, it probably won't happen. Adults have to see a true bargain.....Anyway I am just a fan with opinions...it will be what it will be.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I see that the Tommies have their first recruit (Jordan Moore). Interesting to see if there will be any from outside Maritime Junior A.

How are the ladies doing with recruits?

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
Outstanding support additions for Men's Tommies who will bring a great traditional to Coach Powers and staff.

GO TOMMIES GO!

WyldeMurph

Aug 9, 2013
Fredericton
Have you ever watched a webcast when teams are playing at the Forum in Halifax? Fans go dressed in camouflage so they match the grey seats.

Maybe lowering the price of tickets or coming up with flex packs, or even family packages will help. Who knows, I have no problem paying $10 to get into a game, for a team I want to see. I think free to students is important, but as most of you have mentioned it hasn't made a difference at the AUC for Squirrel games.

It's going to take time and patience. I'm a Patriots fan and have been called a bandwagon jumper, but I was a fan of the team when they had 2-14 records. The Tommies are no different. Hopefully the ball continues to roll in the right direction.

WyldeMurph

Aug 9, 2013
Fredericton
Tommies Add Former Moosehead and Tigre to Their Roster

Today the STU Tommies announced they have locked in former Halifax Mooseheads and Victoriaville Tigres defenseman Sawyer Hannay from Main River, New Brunswick as listed on his Twitter profile for the upcoming '13-'14 season.

This Tommies fan is quite excited to see the addition of Hannay, he is a tough player and has the penalty minutes to show for it. Sawyer is going to add to the grit of the Tommies blue line in the upcoming season.

Hannay was selected by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2010 draft with the 205th overall pick.

I'd like to welcome Sawyer to the Tommies and look forward to seeing him in the Green and Gold in the upcoming season!

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
Recruitment aquisitions!

Today the STU Tommies announced they have locked in former Halifax Mooseheads and Victoriaville Tigres defenseman Sawyer Hannay from Main River, New Brunswick as listed on his Twitter profile for the upcoming '13-'14 season.

This Tommies fan is quite excited to see the addition of Hannay, he is a tough player and has the penalty minutes to show for it. Sawyer is going to add to the grit of the Tommies blue line in the upcoming season.

Hannay was selected by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2010 draft with the 205th overall pick.

I'd like to welcome Sawyer to the Tommies and look forward to seeing him in the Green and Gold in the upcoming season!

Kudos to Coach Powers et al for the recent aquisitions of Sawyer Hannah to the 13/14 men's Tommies.

Patrick et al.are doing an amazing job of re tooling for.next year.

Along with the remaining solid veterans from last year,there should be an exciting rendition of MENS Tommies forn13/14.

GO TOMMIES GO.!

:yo::yo::handclap:

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
it was about 2 years ago I believe when Troy Ryan was hired, and I made the comment that it would be extremely difficult for STU to go out and try and rebuild and attract players from major junior with good scoring potential that averaged about a point per game in their CHL career. And by just going after Maritime Junior League players that had some statistical success in that League would not cut it, cause despite success stories like Justin Bowers and Laclahn MacIntosh fact is more often those players have a tough time finding Success in the AUS. Their best shot was to get some strong physical players from Major Junior, and make their team extremely tough to play against and than once they establish that, they will be able to add the scoring touch year by year.

This is exactly what Pat Powers seems to be doing and thats really nice to see. In Past Seasons, while UNB may almost treat a STU game like a hard practice scrimmage and come out with an easy 8-1 or 4-0 win, now install a bit of fear into your opponents that hey we may have a good chance to win tonight, but its gonna be a hell of a battle and we are going to take some beatings in the corners.

Good Start Pat Powers, Best of Luck to STU, things are already looking up

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
A successful start by Patrick Powers et al!

it was about 2 years ago I believe when Troy Ryan was hired, and I made the comment that it would be extremely difficult for STU to go out and try and rebuild and attract players from major junior with good scoring potential that averaged about a point per game in their CHL career. And by just going after Maritime Junior League players that had some statistical success in that League would not cut it, cause despite success stories like Justin Bowers and Laclahn MacIntosh fact is more often those players have a tough time finding Success in the AUS. Their best shot was to get some strong physical players from Major Junior, and make their team extremely tough to play against and than once they establish that, they will be able to add the scoring touch year by year.

This is exactly what Pat Powers seems to be doing and thats really nice to see. In Past Seasons, while UNB may almost treat a STU game like a hard practice scrimmage and come out with an easy 8-1 or 4-0 win, now install a bit of fear into your opponents that hey we may have a good chance to win tonight, but its gonna be a hell of a battle and we are going to take some beatings in the corners.

Good Start Pat Powers, Best of Luck to STU, things are already looking up

It is too early for me to be calling for THE BREAKUP OF THE TOMMIES but this is CERTAINLY a start in the right direction.

This combined coaching staff are a complimentary group who have gone to battle with a number of successful Tommies teams in the past and will do so again.

All three coaches were legendary in their Tommies hockey history's as well as in their respective professional careers and fans can expect "a new Sherrif in town.

I have already booked my first appearance for Tommies hockey.

GO TOMMIES GO!

RANTFTHER BA 68 -:yo::yo::yo:

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
The Pallidins had.NO guns and should.NOT have traveled tonight!

A nice first victory for the.NEW Tommies without several players in the line up.

It looks.like the team is rouding into.shape.

I do.NOT believe that RMC is one of the country's hockey powers but did being out the best of the TOMMIES.

YEAH TOMMIES.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad